General New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Land Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
can anyone decipher what on earth this is about, please??
due process I think? ( if you mean the scrutiny committee meeting tomorrow?)- before going to county council cabinet , it has to be first scrutinised

"Limited ancillary commercial use"
Those words will no doubt keep Solicitors busy for a very long time.
So can the ground be used 7 days a week for private parties (Birthdays, Christmas, engagements, weddings, Christenings, Wakes ...... )
What about the exec boxes rented out Mon - Fri for business meetings, central area for conferences?
Can we have a pop concert in the summer?
What about non-sporting Evening classes?
There are numerous type of events, that are non-sporting, that could be run at the ground but the word "limited" means perhaps the the ground can't be hired out 24/7 hence restricting other financial income.

We've had some comments about Stratfield Brake being sold for housing in x years time - is it feasible that the move to the Triangle was done in the knowledge/hope that SB could become a commercial opportunity in its own right? And apologies if that's been asked already!

"Limited ancillary commercial use"
Those words will no doubt keep Solicitors busy for a very long time.
So can the ground be used 7 days a week for private parties (Birthdays, Christmas, engagements, weddings, Christenings, Wakes ...... )
What about the exec boxes rented out Mon - Fri for business meetings, central area for conferences?
Can we have a pop concert in the summer?
What about non-sporting Evening classes?
There are numerous type of events, that are non-sporting, that could be run at the ground but the word "limited" means perhaps the the ground can't be hired out 24/7 hence restricting other financial income.
no

Bleniem palce host them

We
This latest rant shows he is over the edge now, hard to claim neutrality, however cautious when you have tried to paint a picture of a scorched earth if the stadium goes ahead on a public forum.

That needs to be recorded and he needs to be kept away from any decision making committee, other than that he is irrelevant now.

As you say it’s down to Oxford fans to get behind this in a positive fashion over the next few days, the opposition have thrown everything they have at this in the last two weeks, just shown how incredibly weak there case is, weird computerised images of the “new” stadium, blatant lies about its size etc and now Middletons lunatic rant, we can counter that with hope and sanity then let a £100 million of outside investment into the county and the building of a truly first class facility that many will benefit from can get a fair hearing.
Well said!!

can anyone decipher what on earth this is about, please??

They mentioned this briefly on the webinar last week, it's basically to ensure the council and OUFC followed the rules in the recent consultation. Of course, there are some who feel both OUFC and OCC haven't so it's a hurdle to overcome. I'm sure FoSB's will be speaking at it, hopefully OUFC and OxVox will be too.

Don't forget the cabinet went against the recommendations in the first meeting and deferred. Until it's official I'm not counting any chickens.

That's why we mustn't stop campaigning and lobbying until the first game at the triangle kicks off.

To that end I emailed the county council cabinet again today asking that in light of the officers published recommendations that they accept the recommendations without delay next Tuesday.

Last edited:
I'd quite happily approve Ian a membership for the forum. Ian, if you are reading and fancy it please join up. You'll get some robust questioning for sure, but I'm sure you'd enjoy the discussion.
This would actually be great for the debate. We’re far more respectful than many of the anti’s give us credit for.

I've shown him that on several occasions No response all he says he can't be positive because he's seen no plans you point out to him the benefits from other new stadiums (Brentford Brighton Rotherham etc) all you get back is completely different development he's made his mind up which is absolutely fine but don't say your neutral
He’s played his hand, that’s why he’s so pissed off. Everyone knows he’s biased. Lovely stuff from him as he will be nowhere near planning & neither will his partner. Such a shame.

The latest update is a positive step in our quest for a new home, most definitely.

That said, i'd like to understand further the deal structure around the purchasing of the freehold land, that the stadium is to sit on at the Triangle.

We are in our current predicament due to the football club being detached from the stadium, with a stadium owner who has no affiliation or care to do the right thing for OUFC. Currently, our owners are doing lots right but what is to say that they couldn't walk away in the future (eminently likely at some point given average ownership tenures in the UK) and we could end up with a situation whereby we are effectively renting a stadium, in similar circumstances to those that are in place now?

I'd like clear and concise detail from OUFC that shows the club is protected. Either at peppercorn rent in perpetuity/250 year lease etc or; by covenants being in place that state the stadium and football club cannot be two separate interties.

Should we be in a position whereby we are effectively leasing the stadium (again), then i think the club need to be transparent around what benefits OUFC are to receive. For example, will the club pay a peppercorn rent of £1 per annum? Will OUFC receive ALL match day revenue from the ancillary items and concourses, excluding the hotel and gym? Will the owners commit to a peppercorn rent and leasehold agreement to OUFC that is in perpetuity with no break clauses, unless OUFC become insolvent etc?

I am extremely hopeful that we will get the greenlight for the stadium and my goodness, it will not be before time to get away from Mr Kassam once and for all. But, i do hope the club and OxVox are asking the pertinent questions of our wealthy ownership group, to ensure the security of our football club, not for now or the next 20 years but for generations upon generations thereafter.
The stadium is not what needs to be watched in terms of ownership; it’s the land.

The land it sits on is key, because without the land the stadium doesn’t hold any power or leverage. You can own a stadium but if you don’t own the land it sits on then it’s just window dressing. This is actually how McDonald’s was built on a global scale. They own the land that the franchises sit on, which are in turn owned by the franchisees, because by owning the land they own the only real thing of any worth. It was set up that way so that any franchisees who strayed from the core ethos or who didn’t maintain company standards could be shut down by proxy of having the land their restaurants were sitting on taken away.

You could have a stadium built and the keys handed over to the club by way of a contract signed in blood, but it’s whoever owns the soil sitting underneath it who will forever be in control. People need to make sure they don’t get distracted by bricks and mortar - they’re virtually worthless without something to stand on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom