General New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Land Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hunch is SB will be built on with houses in 5 or 6 years time. Developed by our owners, high spec, perfect to attract the Premier League players we need.
Of course it will. Even FoSB know that, they have never cared about the environment. It's all about keeping working classes away from their supposed middle class utopia

Could someone explain what this actually means? I'm not the most clued up on how these processes work. To what degree does this advice/recommendation impact the discussions on the 19th? Is this an agreement in principle, with the 19th being a meeting to cement this decision and sort out the details, or is this merely a recommendation from a different department, and those holding the discussion on the 19th could easily choose to disregard this entirely?

Is it that the OCC assigned officers to carry out this outreach/engagement investigation, and this is just the feedback from those officers, and then the council will decide to what degree they feel the results from this report count towards their final decision?

Last edited:
It’s a recommendation, and they could choose to ignore it.

Cast your mind back to the start of this process and you’ll find that council officers recommended that the cabinet of OCC approve the action to enter into negotiations with OUFC for the land at Stratfield Brake. At that meeting (Jan 22) they did not do so and instead said that consultation was needed and that a future cabinet meeting (Mar 22) would discuss this.

I think it unlikely that they will not agree with their officers this time (after two consultations where a a clear majority of their electorate have said yes), but until it’s done we shouldn’t assume.

Time to get those last minute letters in, folks. 👍🏻

Forgive my ignorance, but is my reading on this stating the stadium can only be used for sport and no commercial use, ie hotel and restaurants?

As an Oxford United fan and a Cowley boy that's one of the best front pages I've seen in a while.
IF and it’s still a big IF we get the go ahead on the 19th Will the Oxford Mail start backing the club?

My view is they have been anti the stadium project and despite countless letters to the editor and others they have remained bias to FoSB and the like. So for me whatever they do won’t be enough for me to forgive them

If you still buy the Mail please stop

Forgive my ignorance, but is my reading on this stating the stadium can only be used for sport and no commercial use, ie hotel and restaurants?

It says ‘limited commercial use’. What the ‘limit’ to that is remains to be seen.

It may be that what OUFC are proposing with a hotel, restaurant and/or cafe and multi-use rentable space qualifies as that and that they expect no more on top of that.

If it was just the stadium, I suspect the owners will have packed up and left by now. There would be no return on just a belt-and-braces stadium with no ancillaries.

It says ‘limited commercial use’. What the ‘limit’ to that is remains to be seen.

It may be that what OUFC are proposing with a hotel, restaurant and/or cafe and multi-use rentable space qualifies as that and that they expect no more on top of that.

If it was just the stadium, I suspect the owners will have packed up and left by now. There would be no return on just a belt-and-braces stadium with no ancillaries.
That's what I thought, the devil is in the detail.

The latest update is a positive step in our quest for a new home, most definitely.

That said, i'd like to understand further the deal structure around the purchasing of the freehold land, that the stadium is to sit on at the Triangle.

We are in our current predicament due to the football club being detached from the stadium, with a stadium owner who has no affiliation or care to do the right thing for OUFC. Currently, our owners are doing lots right but what is to say that they couldn't walk away in the future (eminently likely at some point given average ownership tenures in the UK) and we could end up with a situation whereby we are effectively renting a stadium, in similar circumstances to those that are in place now?

I'd like clear and concise detail from OUFC that shows the club is protected. Either at peppercorn rent in perpetuity/250 year lease etc or; by covenants being in place that state the stadium and football club cannot be two separate interties.

Should we be in a position whereby we are effectively leasing the stadium (again), then i think the club need to be transparent around what benefits OUFC are to receive. For example, will the club pay a peppercorn rent of £1 per annum? Will OUFC receive ALL match day revenue from the ancillary items and concourses, excluding the hotel and gym? Will the owners commit to a peppercorn rent and leasehold agreement to OUFC that is in perpetuity with no break clauses, unless OUFC become insolvent etc?

I am extremely hopeful that we will get the greenlight for the stadium and my goodness, it will not be before time to get away from Mr Kassam once and for all. But, i do hope the club and OxVox are asking the pertinent questions of our wealthy ownership group, to ensure the security of our football club, not for now or the next 20 years but for generations upon generations thereafter.

Last edited:
Neither of whom will be involved in the process of planning, they’ve shown their hand & have shown their bias. Swear I have read somewhere that anyone with documented bias against the stadium will be unable to vote at CDC level on planning permission & even if they could it would give the club a strong case for bias in any appeal.
Chester V is ultra snakey ... hope you're right re PP, - I believe his partner is on CDC planning cabinet panel, and he's a reserve for said panel

their bias is well documented, however I'd not trust them to be honest about it

The latest update is a positive step in our quest for a new home, most definitely.

That said, i'd like to understand further the deal structure around the purchasing of the freehold land, that the stadium is to sit on at the Triangle.

We are in our current predicament due to the football club being detached from the stadium, with a stadium owner who has no affiliation or care to do the right thing for OUFC. Currently, our owners are doing lots right but what is to say that they couldn't walk away in the future (eminently likely at some point given average ownership tenures in the UK) and we could end up with a situation whereby we are effectively renting a stadium, in similar circumstances to those that are in place now?

I'd like clear and concise detail from OUFC that shows the club is protected. Either at peppercorn rent in perpetuity/250 year lease etc or; by covenants being in place that state the stadium and football club cannot be two separate interties.

Should we be in a position whereby we are effectively leasing the stadium (again), then i think the club need to be transparent around what benefits OUFC are to receive. For example, will the club pay a peppercorn rent of £1 per annum? Will OUFC receive ALL match day revenue from the ancillary items and concourses, excluding the hotel and gym? Will the owners commit to a peppercorn rent and leasehold agreement to OUFC that is in perpetuity with no break clauses, unless OUFC become insolvent etc?

I am extremely hopeful that we will get the greenlight for the stadium and my goodness, it will not be before time to get away from Mr Kassam once and for all. But, i do hope the club and OxVox are asking the pertinent questions of our wealthy ownership group, to ensure the security of our football club, not for now or the next 20 years but for generations upon generations thereafter.
Everybody interviewed has suggested that this is a key priority ( and Oxvox have said a number of times that they are keeping a close eye on it)
Good lawyers are required, but I assume that this can be resolved through a good contract ( not sure if anybody on here has seen something similar?)

Hopefully that is right.
I am sure that this will all have been discussed in detail.
Of course it has to go through planning, but I assume that without this commercial part of the development being allowed, it won't work and will have wasted everybody's time!

Very encouraging news filtering through and I hope we can get it over the line shortly. Some of the propaganda the FoSB have been peddling in their last-ditch attempts at diminishing the project is absolutely hilarious and quite frankly unacceptable conduct.

I just wonder if this article may make it to Nextdoor so we can gather the views of a certain councillor … 👀

IF and it’s still a big IF we get the go ahead on the 19th Will the Oxford Mail start backing the club?

My view is they have been anti the stadium project and despite countless letters to the editor and others they have remained bias to FoSB and the like. So for me whatever they do won’t be enough for me to forgive them

If you still buy the Mail please stop

I’ll put up a defence of the OM here. When it comes to the back pages, they are supportive of the club. When it comes to the front and middle pages, they want engagement especially now the vast amount of content is online.

It’s all down to clicks, really. People wanting to read about OUFC are generally supporters of the club so will expect a supportive and understanding tone. Those reading the other pages will expect a variety of opinions.

As supporters of the club and ultimately of the move, we have to be understanding of the opposition (if they are respectful of course). They will be concerned about this and have every right to display their concerns in the local media. The OM have printed every letter I have sent to them so I have no issue in what they have produced. They have in my view been fair on my right to respond and that of the opposition.

A case in point was the way the OM and BBC presented the figures from the consultation. Published a day apart, Liam Rice’s (OUFC reporter) piece was a lot more positive than Claire Starr’s for example.

Everybody interviewed has suggested that this is a key priority ( and Oxvox have said a number of times that they are keeping a close eye on it)
Good lawyers are required, but I assume that this can be resolved through a good contract ( not sure if anybody on here has seen something similar?)

OxVox should be a statutory consultee in respect of the purchase of the land and how its structured to ensure it protects the club from a scenario we've endured at the Kassam Stadium. The sale should only be completed if OxVox are happy and this may mean an OxVox members vote to ratify.

Last edited:
I just wonder if this article may make it to Nextdoor so we can gather the views of a certain councillor … 👀

I’ll put up a defence of the OM here. When it comes to the back pages, they are supportive of the club. When it comes to the front and middle pages, they want engagement especially now the vast amount of content is online.

It’s all down to clicks, really. People wanting to read about OUFC are generally supporters of the club so will expect a supportive and understanding tone. Those reading the other pages will expect a variety of opinions.

As supporters of the club and ultimately of the move, we have to be understanding of the opposition (if they are respectful of course). They will be concerned about this and have every right to display their concerns in the local media. The OM have printed every letter I have sent to them so I have no issue in what they have produced. They have in my view been fair on my right to respond and that of the opposition.

A case in point was the way the OM and BBC presented the figures from the consultation. Published a day apart, Liam Rice’s (OUFC reporter) piece was a lot more positive than Claire Starr’s for example.

On it give me 5

Very encouraging news filtering through and I hope we can get it over the line shortly. Some of the propaganda the FoSB have been peddling in their last-ditch attempts at diminishing the project is absolutely hilarious and quite frankly unacceptable conduct.
FoSB entire campaign right from the start has been spreading mistruths, misinformation intended to mislead and frighten local residents- which they continue to do, nothing has changed. They prey on fear

OxVox should be a statutory consultee in respect of the purchase of the land and how its structured to ensure it protects the club from a scenario we've endured at the Kassam Stadium. The sale should only be completed of OxVox are happy and this may mean an OxVox members vote to ratify.
Im pretty confident that our owners know that this stadium has to be in the hands of Oufc and not in a holding company of theres

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom