General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best not to engage in any conversations with them.

I posted who I think is behind the FOSB group yesterday. It's appropriate for members of the public to be against the proposals at this stage but not council's who claimed to be taking a neutral stance until detailed plans are received.

Ah, something other than hang wringing over some bozo’s tweets.

A couple of items jumped out to me from that.

NM said ‘’There’s no possibility to extend our lease for a long time,” the United chief said …

… “We have contingency plans in place, but at this moment in time we’re making sure we can get that planning permission in.”

That suggests to me that there may be a temporary extension of the lease should we require it. It’s a question I posed myself to NM and he said it would be answered in time. Building a stadium and everything that comes with it takes many man hours and it would be foolish to not have a back up plan in place if we’re not in for August 2026.

He also said,
“The relationship [with Firoka] on an operational basis is still a very good one, and it’s been that way for a long time.

“We’ll have to see where we are over the next two to three months.’’

I’m curious about the second part. What’s going to go down in August and September that could rock that boat? I did hear that August may see an acceleration in our plans but there’s a mild suggestion there that could impact how we operate with Firoka in the short to medium term.

Maybe I’m reading too much into it.

So now it's not a survey of the residents of Kidlington? If it's being hijacked in this way it's devalued. I thought you lived in Bicester

Anyone can fill it in.............. so "sharing it" increases the potential for it to become completely worthless.

Even if they filter the results the end data will be worthless to the Club and easily dismissed by opponents. 🤷‍♀️

So now it's not a survey of the residents of Kidlington? If it's being hijacked in this way it's devalued. I thought you lived in Bicester

I have family in the catchment area mentioned (near Kidlington FC ground) and have occasional residency as a consequence. I stated that on the form and have been completely honest in my disclosure. I have shared the survey with the family and some friends in the region.

Hijacked and devalued are massively overselling it.

Edit - I care for an elderly relative which may need overnight care but has occasional meant that I've stayed for several weeks at a time when the need has been there. This address is my recognised secondary residency if that is OK with the survey police?

Last edited:
Ah, something other than hang wringing over some bozo’s tweets.

A couple of items jumped out to me from that.

NM said ‘’There’s no possibility to extend our lease for a long time,” the United chief said …

… “We have contingency plans in place, but at this moment in time we’re making sure we can get that planning permission in.”

That suggests to me that there may be a temporary extension of the lease should we require it. It’s a question I posed myself to NM and he said it would be answered in time. Building a stadium and everything that comes with it takes many man hours and it would be foolish to not have a back up plan in place if we’re not in for August 2026.

He also said,
“The relationship [with Firoka] on an operational basis is still a very good one, and it’s been that way for a long time.

“We’ll have to see where we are over the next two to three months.’’

I’m curious about the second part. What’s going to go down in August and September that could rock that boat? I did hear that August may see an acceleration in our plans but there’s a mild suggestion there that could impact how we operate with Firoka in the short to medium term.

Maybe I’m reading too much into it.
I see the two to three months comment as a link to the first statement rather than the second.

There will be the contingency for a short extension if absolutely necessary but we're hoping not to need that. If the planning application is delayed or there is any unexpected hurdles then we would hopefully identify these by the end of the year by which point further discussions could take place regarding the extension contingency.

But like you, I can only read so much into that.

“There’s no possibility to extend our lease for a long time,” the United chief said.

“We’ve tried our best to make that clear, it’s a question that we get asked on a weekly basis.

“The stadium belongs to Firoka and it’s their prerogative to do what they want with it.”

I dont understand this. I thought the stadium could only be used as a sports complex?

I also thought that every time the licence expires we have the option to renew on exactly the same terms?

There is a difference between extending and renewing.

The Club obviously don't want another 25 years at the stadium and FK will want to try and punt it to a developer before they start building the Science Village, so the best we'll get is a one year rolling extension (at a suitable price, naturally).....

There is a difference between extending and renewing.

The Club obviously don't want another 25 years at the stadium and FK will want to try and punt it to a developer before they start building the Science Village, so the best we'll get is a one year rolling extension (at a suitable price, naturally).....
Well yes, but isn't it the case that the club could renew and so not become homeless?

By the way, I want us to move.

"The U’s must reach an agreement with the county council, which owns the land, and its tenants and sub-tenants at the sports ground.

Only then can United submit a planning application to planning authority Cherwell District Council, one of the tenants at Stratfield Brake, and McWilliams admitted time is of the essence."

I know the above is the Mail talking and not necessarily the club, but I thought the idea was that the relevant councils would decide on whether to give up their leases after seeing the detail in the planning application.

I also thought any planning application can be made at any time regardless of 'ownership'.

I also note the date for a planning application has slipped from the end of this year to early next year...

Well yes, but isn't it the case that the club could renew and so not become homeless?

By the way, I want us to move.
But then we would be in a legal agreement to lease the stadium for 25 years......

But then we would be in a legal agreement to lease the stadium for 25 years......

Do that and then the owners will leave and we will be without a club. We can't keep losing money every year.

“There’s no possibility to extend our lease for a long time,” the United chief said.

“We’ve tried our best to make that clear, it’s a question that we get asked on a weekly basis.

“The stadium belongs to Firoka and it’s their prerogative to do what they want with it.”

I dont understand this. I thought the stadium could only be used as a sports complex?

I also thought that every time the licence expires we have the option to renew on exactly the same terms?

I think you mean the stadium's status as an Asset of Community Value. It doesn't mean it has to be used for sports but should Firoka wish to sell it, a 'right to bid' can come in from the club or it's representatives within six weeks.

It was brought in in 2013 and renewed in 2018. An interesting thought that hadn't crossed my mind is that it will need renewing again in 2023.

FK very much showed his hand by appealing it against becoming an ACV. We know he wants us out, it torn down and sold to developers for a lorra lorra council dosh.

Yes, I realise that and it wouldn't be great to say the least, and no doubt the current owners would then be gone.

I'm just not understanding why the club are actually saying there is no possibility of doing that... unless they are just being economical with the detail.

Last edited:
I think you mean the stadium's status as an Asset of Community Value. It doesn't mean it has to be used for sports but should Firoka wish to sell it, a 'right to bid' can come in from the club or it's representatives within six weeks.

It was brought in in 2013 and renewed in 2018. An interesting thought that hadn't crossed my mind is that it will need renewing again in 2023.

FK very much showed his hand by appealing it against becoming an ACV. We know he wants us out, it torn down and sold to developers for a lorra lorra council dosh.
which would need goodwill on the councils part- planning permission, change of use etc .... for most if not all of Councils in Oxon, who are I believe having to provide X amount of new housing (etc) in the Shire in the near future ( as required by the government?) , OUFC relocating to SB would 'free up' prime building land thus ticking some boxes in their house building requirements, - for both the City Council, and the County Council perhaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom