General Modern Football: Is It Just Boring?

The Liverpool Man U game on Sunday was immediate evidence of why I started this thread.

One of the biggest games in world football turned into a boring, dull, quiet affair.

In previous years and derby's of such ilk, even if the football itself was of a poor quality the game still had bite and there was atmosphere and passion in the stands.
Think Luton got fined for singing 'feed the scousers - let them know its christmas time' or 'its never your fault' or something like that.

Atmospheres in the Premier League and up and down the country are so sterile. Orient away this season was a lovely exception to the rule.

The Liverpool Man U game on Sunday was immediate evidence of why I started this thread.

One of the biggest games in world football turned into a boring, dull, quiet affair.

In previous years and derby's of such ilk, even if the football itself was of a poor quality the game still had bite and there was atmosphere and passion in the stands.

It's the argument that it was any better or different ten years ago that I disagree with.

It's the argument that it was any better or different ten years ago that I disagree with.
I found the game on the pitch more fun to watch ten years ago because there was no VAR

In terms of atmospheres probably similar.

Think Luton got fined for singing 'feed the scousers - let them know its christmas time' or 'its never your fault' or something like that.

Atmospheres in the Premier League and up and down the country are so sterile. Orient away this season was a lovely exception to the rule.
Luton have been fined for homophobic chanting at the Brighton game.

The world's most prestigious club competition *****THE FIFA CLUB WORLD CUP***** in the soccer hotbed that is Saudi Arabia is about to begin. Tonight English Champions Man City have fought bravely to get to the semi finals where they take on the mighty Urawa Red Diamonds, who of course were the champions of Japan 15 years ago. If Man City can win a whole 2 games this December they will be able to start selling shirts with a gold badge on it. So stop complaining about playing too many bloody games. Just think of the money!

The world's most prestigious club competition *****THE FIFA CLUB WORLD CUP***** in the soccer hotbed that is Saudi Arabia is about to begin. Tonight English Champions Man City have fought bravely to get to the semi finals where they take on the mighty Urawa Red Diamonds, who of course were the champions of Japan 15 years ago. If Man City can win a whole 2 games this December they will be able to start selling shirts with a gold badge on it. So stop complaining about playing too many bloody games. Just think of the money!

Tbf, Pep is complaining about the new version of this coming in 2025 which is a 32 club version in June/July.

Tbf, Pep is complaining about the new version of this coming in 2025 which is a 32 club version in June/July.

Dangerous FIFA running a club World Cup. With international football only so big they can make a World cup before they run out of countries, with club football it will only take them 50 years before Summertown Stars under 11s qualify among the 250,000 teams and the tournament lasts forever.

Dangerous FIFA running a club World Cup. With international football only so big they can make a World cup before they run out of countries, with club football it will only take them 50 years before Summertown Stars under 11s qualify among the 250,000 teams and the tournament lasts forever.

It's alright, Arsenal Wenger thinks it is a good idea.....

The same guy who wants to get rid of throw ins and have ‘kick ins’ 😂
After playing sunday league recently I see his point. The refs here are way more picky about foul throws than in the league or Prem! It all seems a huge bit officious and arbitrary. As a counterpoint the JB 6-a-side tournament we play in has kick-ins and it completely removes the whole throw-in debacle.

Judging by Boxing Day 1963 results @MustardYellow might just have a point.😳😳😳

Blackpool 1-5 Chelsea
Burnley 6-1 Man Utd
Fulham 10-1 Ipswich
Leicester 2-0 Everton
Liverpool 6-1 Stoke
Nottm Forest 3-3 Sheffield Utd
West Brom 4-4 Tottenham
Sheff Wed 3-0 Bolton
Wolves 3-3 Aston Villa
West Ham 2-8 Blackburn

A lot of Leicester fans are enjoying the Championship a lot more than the Prem and mostly because there is no VAR.

They reckon they can enjoy the passion, the moment without it being reviewed to the Nth degree.

And I suppose not losing much helps a bit. :)

It might surprise a few folk that I would agree that chants about legally protected characteristics are a no go, but surely wit & humour, dark as it maybe, are part of the reason we go?

Judging by Boxing Day 1963 results @MustardYellow might just have a point.😳😳😳

Blackpool 1-5 Chelsea
Burnley 6-1 Man Utd
Fulham 10-1 Ipswich
Leicester 2-0 Everton
Liverpool 6-1 Stoke
Nottm Forest 3-3 Sheffield Utd
West Brom 4-4 Tottenham
Sheff Wed 3-0 Bolton
Wolves 3-3 Aston Villa
West Ham 2-8 Blackburn

At least you know the Ipswich team of 1963 had a good Christmas day.

A lot of Leicester fans are enjoying the Championship a lot more than the Prem and mostly because there is no VAR.

They reckon they can enjoy the passion, the moment without it being reviewed to the Nth degree.

And I suppose not losing much helps a bit. :)
How many of them would like a second season in The Championship though? None I would suggest.

How many of them would like a second season in The Championship though? None I would suggest.

More pertinent is VAR only exists because of £££££`s. Not to improve the game or for the supporters benefit.

I've been thinking this for a while, but last night has just confirmed it for me - football is the most boring it's been in my lifetime.

Granted, my 'memory pool' isn't huge - I was still in secondary school 10 years ago. But even casting my mind back to those days, football just felt more... fun.

You had Suarez doing outrageous things (both good and bad) every week. Hazard running around people like they weren't there. Bale leaving people in his dust at Spurs. Deeney scoring the infamous playoff goal. Wigan winning the FA Cup. Sunderland staying up despite being bottom at Christmas. City and Liverpool both scoring over 100 goals and pushing each other right to the end (I could go on but you get the point!).

Things just didn't feel as predictable back then. Atmosphere's were better, derby's were more fierce, even the goals seemed better (why does no one shoot from outside the box anymore??). Players themselves and teams in general took more risks.

The game just doesn't feel the same anymore - it feels like the soul of football has been lost and the whole aim of the sport has changed. Football used to be about community, passion, of course partly money, but ultimately entertainment - it's now almost entirely about making money. Everything else seems forgotten.

The saddest part of it all, is this isn't just happening in the Premier League - football as a whole is just becoming really tame and uninspiring.
Starting from the under 7’s academy football, the kids are basically programmed to play a certain way. This carries on through the whole academy system. Every club coaches the same as each other. There is no individuality in the way the kids play and if they. No longer will we see players like Gazza, Cantona or LeTissier but we will just have lots of Mason Mounts and Connor Gallaghers

Back
Top Bottom