General Modern Football: Is It Just Boring?

I have a theory that quite a lot of bands are OK apart from their small annoying singers - U2 and the Who being prime examples. Liam Gallagher is ok for me, he’s a cocky t**t but it works in the context of the band.

PS and the Police, though I’m not sure Sting is small.
Slagging other bands off in the press for publicity does not make a good front man. LG is just a prize t**t IMO. How many times did he embarrass himself trying to goad Thom Yorke? I've more time for Noel.

PS and the Police, though I’m not sure Sting is small.

I urinated in the adjacent pseudo-stall to Gordon Sumner (he hadn't adopted the silly nickname then) during the intermission of a performance by Last Exit at the Gosforth Arms Or Gosforth Park Hotel in um Gosforth. I can confirm that he is most assuredly short but I can't honestly say whether he is small or not as the custom of peering across the porcelain divider to make visual examination of one's neighbour's genitalia was generally frowned upon in the north-east during the late 70's. I hope it still is.

Sumner, resplendent in tartan trews and tam o'shanter, was annoying in the customary 'look-at-me' manner of his type.

The great Lol Coxhill was also short but not annoying. The only man I ever saw play 2 saxaphones simultaneously in the High Point Hotel in Cullercoats, or anywhere on the east coast tbh.

I urinated in the adjacent pseudo-stall to Gordon Sumner (he hadn't adopted the silly nickname then) during the intermission of a performance by Last Exit at the Gosforth Arms Or Gosforth Park Hotel in um Gosforth. I can confirm that he is most assuredly short but I can't honestly say whether he is small or not as the custom of peering across the porcelain divider to make visual examination of one's neighbour's genitalia was generally frowned upon in the north-east during the late 70's. I hope it still is.

Sumner, resplendent in tartan trews and tam o'shanter, was annoying in the customary 'look-at-me' manner of his type.

The great Lol Coxhill was also short but not annoying. The only man I ever saw play 2 saxaphones simultaneously in the High Point Hotel in Cullercoats, or anywhere on the east coast tbh.
Lol Coxhill! And you saw Last Exit, were they any good?

Nah. Pretty standard nothing white boy guitar and shouty-dwarf music. The guitarist was supposed to be the leader but when they went to London wee Gordon got discovered and that was that. I think Terry, the guitarist, had a band that played the Punch Bowl but I never went. Reggae then punk washed the world clean of that sort of thing, for a time.

Nah. Pretty standard nothing white boy guitar and shouty-dwarf music. The guitarist was supposed to be the leader but when they went to London wee Gordon got discovered and that was that. I think Terry, the guitarist, had a band that played the Punch Bowl but I never went. Reggae then punk washed the world clean of that sort of thing, for a time.
I actually saw the Police before they got Stewart Copeland, they were just punk wannabes but once he joined they were pretty good, I thought, till Sting got too full of himself

Italia 90 has this amazing reputation that is completely undeserved.

It actually has the lowest goals per game of any World Cup in history, and was a tournament so tedious and defensive that they introduced the back-pass rule immediately afterwards.

But stick a cracking Puccini aria over footage of Gazza crying and Schillachi going mental, and people will go misty-eyed for it decades later!!

Watching Maradona and his cronies, lose to Cameroon was bloody brilliant though.

Last edited:
I could never, ever get bored of watching that. Proper football. Total football.

Only slightly marred by the very harsh 2nd yellow.
You've pinpointed the very moment football started going soft.

Great to see Lol Coxhill get a mention on the forum. I still play Ear of Beholder and his recordings with Steve Miller. This place should get an award for 'Most Eclectic Football Forum.!!

The Liverpool Man U game on Sunday was immediate evidence of why I started this thread.

One of the biggest games in world football turned into a boring, dull, quiet affair.

In previous years and derby's of such ilk, even if the football itself was of a poor quality the game still had bite and there was atmosphere and passion in the stands.

The Liverpool Man U game on Sunday was immediate evidence of why I started this thread.

One of the biggest games in world football turned into a boring, dull, quiet affair.

In previous years and derby's of such ilk, even if the football itself was of a poor quality the game still had bite and there was atmosphere and passion in the stands.

That's not allowed any more.

Gentrification and sterile, soulless bowls are the future.

I`ve enjoyed watching/listening to the odd Luton home games though, old school ground, noise, passion and atmosphere.

That's not allowed any more.

Gentrification and sterile, soulless bowls are the future.

I`ve enjoyed watching/listening to the odd Luton home games though, old school ground, noise, passion and atmosphere.
It's just so depressing.

Growing up I remember Liverpool United games being fierce and passionate - both on the pitch and in the stands.

It's a perfect example of just how subdued football has become.

Back
Top Bottom