General Wrexham... Great Story or Proof Football is Dead?

OxShireWest

The vibe I get from social media is most are loving the 'Wrexham story', and obviously the media are lapping it up, but am I the only one who thinks it epitomises all that's wrong with modern football?

For me, there's nothing incredible and no romance in rich and mega-famous owners coming in, splashing insane amounts of cash on players that wouldn't in a million years have played in that league without astronomical wages & bonuses. There's nothing special or unique about Wrexham - Rob & Ryan could've brought any National League club and done exactly the same.

Wrexham's wage bill last season was rumoured to be upwards of £3.5million, SO much more than other National League clubs - they never stood a chance - of course Wrexham were going to get promoted one way or another.

What's so amazing about it?

Yes, I struggle to see it as brilliant. I prefer big money investment in places like Wrexham than in places like Chelsea (it meaning so much more and in an area that would feel the benefit a lot more) but it hardly feels like a fairy tale. Getting a premier league goalie for b****r all because he wants to use ryan reynolds to up his social media clout isn't really fair on the other clubs.

Yes, I struggle to see it as brilliant. I prefer big money investment in places like Wrexham than in places like Chelsea (it meaning so much more and in an area that would feel the benefit a lot more) but it hardly feels like a fairy tale. Getting a premier league goalie for b****r all because he wants to use ryan reynolds to up his social media clout isn't really fair on the other clubs.
I just find it all a bit obvious.

*Of course* a club with loads of new money is going to target players who have quality of a higher level.

*Of course* said players are going to join a club willing to offer them vastly more than everyone else and a chance at fame and all that comes with it (sponsorships etc).

*Of course* the team assembled off the back of all this is going to be significantly better than the rest of the league.

There's nothing special, surprising, or even remotely interesting about any of it.

It all started going wrong when Jimmy Hill stuck his oar in on player wages.

And then Murdoch decided he wanted to buy "soccer"...and so he did.

All downhill from there . . .

But yeah, I much prefer a "small" club doing well than one of the usual suspects spaffing obscene amounts of money around...
And lest we forget, our ascent to the top flight would never have happened without someone willing to pay for it. Same goes for Bournemouth, Luton, Huddersfield and other "unfashionable small fry" more recently.

I just find it all a bit obvious.

*Of course* a club with loads of new money is going to target players who have quality of a higher level.

*Of course* said players are going to join a club willing to offer them vastly more than everyone else and a chance at fame and all that comes with it (sponsorships etc).

*Of course* the team assembled off the back of all this is going to be significantly better than the rest of the league.

There's nothing special, surprising, or even remotely interesting about any of it.
Quite - Luton's ascent in the last decade is WAY more impressive than that.

But yeah, I much prefer a "small" club doing well than one of the usual suspects spaffing obscene amounts of money around...
And lest we forget, our assent to the top flight would never have happened without someone willing to pay for it. Same goes for Bournemouth, Luton, Huddersfield and other "unfashionable small fry" more recently.

See we can agree!

I don't really have a problem with the whole Wrexham thing and some of this criticism is really mealy mouthed and petty. They could well have chosen any club, but they choose Wrexham and apart from the football they seem to have overseen a whole revival of civic and local pride, as well as rebuilding the stadium.

They've engaged with the community and put some real money into the club - nowhere near the amounts being spent by middle eastern sports washers - but a pretty significant amount. They've given some profile to lower division football outside of the UK and importantly, they seem to be enjoying themselves. Oh, and they haven't done this by loading the club with debt.

I'd save your cynicism for the likes of Newcastle, Manchester City/United and lower division grifters like Reading, Wigan and Bolton.

I agree with what I think is the general sentiment. I would certainly rather see a couple of blokes spending their money at Wrexham (a club with a long and proud history) and reviving the club than some of the ridiculous money wasted in the Prem. But that doesn't make it some sort of romantic story - it's all about the money. Throw enough money at any club and you vastly improve their chances of doing well - do it down in the conference and it's a racing certainty.

It is of course the media who *want* it to be something other than what it is, and will keep pumping out the overinflated hype until we all get bored of it and there is little left to say. It wasn't that long ago when every other article concerning lower league football was about 'the rise and rise of Salford City' - that's faded away and so will this.

I don't really have a problem with the whole Wrexham thing and some of this criticism is really mealy mouthed and petty. They could well have chosen any club, but they choose Wrexham and apart from the football they seem to have overseen a whole revival of civic and local pride, as well as rebuilding the stadium.

They've engaged with the community and put some real money into the club - nowhere near the amounts being spent by middle eastern sports washers - but a pretty significant amount. They've given some profile to lower division football outside of the UK and importantly, they seem to be enjoying themselves. Oh, and they haven't done this by loading the club with debt.

I'd save your cynicism for the likes of Newcastle, Manchester City/United and lower division grifters like Reading, Wigan and Bolton.
Of course they've seen a revival of pride... they're winning...! It's very easy to be proud when you're doing well.

If they had come in and not splashed the cash and weren't doing well, would we still be seeing the 'revival of pride' you speak of? I doubt it.

Everything we're seeing at Wrexham is a direct result of them not just outspending the rest of the league, but blowing them out of the water in terms of finances. The fact the owners happen to be some of the most famous people on earth had just added to the circus.

The 2 seasons prior to lockdown, Wrexham averaged just over 4,500 attendance - the last two season's they've averaged over 9,300. Again... it's the success.

This idea they've done amazing things for the lower leagues is nonsense too. Let's see how much attention National League gets next season now Wrexham aren't in it...

And lest we forget, our ascent to the top flight would never have happened without someone willing to pay for it. Same goes for Bournemouth, Luton, Huddersfield and other "unfashionable small fry" more recently.
There's a difference between just paying for something as most others do, and spending so much that your wage bill is triple most others in the league.

I suspect they will have a much harder time of it now they’re back in the league. Each and every League 2 club are going to want to shove their ‘Hollywood’ razzamatazz up Wrexhams behind. They will also be facing clubs that are all professional, in the NatIonal league there are still 3/4 that are still part time. I don’t think they’ll get it all their own way.

Of course they've seen a revival of pride... they're winning...! It's very easy to be proud when you're doing well.

If they had come in and not splashed the cash and weren't doing well, would we still be seeing the 'revival of pride' you speak of? I doubt it.

Everything we're seeing at Wrexham is a direct result of them not just outspending the rest of the league, but blowing them out of the water in terms of finances. The fact the owners happen to be some of the most famous people on earth had just added to the circus.

The 2 seasons prior to lockdown, Wrexham averaged just over 4,500 attendance - the last two season's they've averaged over 9,300. Again... it's the success.

This idea they've done amazing things for the lower leagues is nonsense too. Let's see how much attention National League gets next season now Wrexham aren't in it...
I love that circular 'what if they hadn't come in, spent money and had success' argument - they have spent some cash, they have enjoyed success and crowds have risen. It's a consequence of what has happened. As SD says above, they are a club with a long history, not some johnny-come-lately like Salford or Forest Green. Given what they were watching in a ground falling apart around them, 4,500 sounds like good base support to me and they've been able to build on that.

Personally, I'm more worried about our own ownership situation than getting on the back of a lower division club enjoying something of a revival. I'd get a new hobby if I were you, perhaps shouting at buses.

The Hollywood lot, tbf, have almost self funded it by getting the Netflix docs which I think they make something like £500k per episode. Netflix was arranged before they bought Wrexham.

The irritation for me isn't Wrexham being successful, they've suffered long enough down the u-bend after all. The irritations are the media and the glory hunters who latch on.

The media as always go over the top (see Salford etc etc) as shown by the coverage for the open top bus procession on main BBC website/TV news or Wrexham Vs another non league club in the 1st Rd of the FA Cup. Think back to Salford where it was close to, but not quite, that with the 'class of 92'.

By glory hunters, I don't mean people who have never been before and acknowledge that or youngsters. I mean the plethora of adults who claim they are lifelong supporters who the regulars have never seen before. They will give their 'expert' opinion on the players, even when it is rubbish, and the league and especially seem to pop up on TV. Ask them about pre-Hollywood ownership Wrexham and they are stumped.

Fair play to the long term Wrexham fans though, as said they suffered long enough.

I really enjoyed the series, the same as I enjoyed the Sunderland till I die production
The really interesting part is the focus on individual fans, most of whom are long suffering, not unlike the majority of fans of clubs below the elite
In contrast I found the Man City effort unwatchable and the Spurs one mostly interesting for the comedy element, especially the Dele Alli sequences

The vibe I get from social media is most are loving the 'Wrexham story', and obviously the media are lapping it up, but am I the only one who thinks it epitomises all that's wrong with modern football?

For me, there's nothing incredible and no romance in rich and mega-famous owners coming in, splashing insane amounts of cash on players that wouldn't in a million years have played in that league without astronomical wages & bonuses. There's nothing special or unique about Wrexham - Rob & Ryan could've brought any National League club and done exactly the same.

Wrexham's wage bill last season was rumoured to be upwards of £3.5million, SO much more than other National League clubs - they never stood a chance - of course Wrexham were going to get promoted one way or another.

What's so amazing about it?
Football is already dead, if the involvement of detached millionaires and billionaires is the standard by which we judge death. Oxford United is no different to this - hardly a community club run by fans or locals.

The good thing about Wrexham is their owners actually seem to care. They show up and do their bit. They support local causes, terminally ill children and provide services for people.

When you compare it to the sportswashing disgrace that is the Saudi Arabian Premier League, it speaks for itself.

Personally, I'm more worried about our own ownership situation
Don’t worry - we’re still four or five years away from that particular forest fire.

A friend of mine works on some of the production and filming of the Wrexham series and says that the owners are incredibly involved in all aspects of the local community, as well as the club itself. They also attend a huge number of games given their schedules and how far away they live. Compared to what we have, it sounds like bliss.

If this had been us during our time stuck down there, we would’ve all been loving it. I don’t view their situation as a fairytale but it doesn’t bother me either. It’s not like they’ve stolen people’s pensions to fund it all.

Don’t worry - we’re still four or five years away from that particular forest fire.

A friend of mine works on some of the production and filming of the Wrexham series and says that the owners are incredibly involved in all aspects of the local community, as well as the club itself. They also attend a huge number of games given their schedules and how far away they live. Compared to what we have, it sounds like bliss.

If this had been us during our time stuck down there, we would’ve all been loving it. I don’t view their situation as a fairytale but it doesn’t bother me either. It’s not like they’ve stolen people’s pensions to fund it all.
And at least they chose a club with an actual history and a good number of fans - not Borehamwood or Bromley (or Salford).

I suspect they will have a much harder time of it now they’re back in the league. Each and every League 2 club are going to want to shove their ‘Hollywood’ razzamatazz up Wrexhams behind. They will also be facing clubs that are all professional, in the NatIonal league there are still 3/4 that are still part time. I don’t think they’ll get it all their own way.
Most recent reports believe Wrexham are going to give Parkinson a wage budget double the league average of League 2... seems it could be a repeat of last season.

Back
Top Bottom