General Wrexham... Great Story or Proof Football is Dead?

They have a huge star as one owner, a fairly big name as the other owner and a show on Disney plus (not Netflix bazzer), with all the attention that this brings to them added to social media then it’s not surprising that they can get paid well from sponsors, it’s still cheaper than sponsoring the smaller prem clubs but probably gives you just as much exposure.

Reynolds is a marketing genius, he plays an exaggerated version of himself in every film and has turned that into gold, Wrexham are an extension of that now, while he is on board they are going to fly up the leagues.

What comes after Reynolds etc is no different for any club, your owners won’t be there forever.

Yep, don't think it'll be an issue. The benefit of publicity from the Hollywood links and Netflix.

It’s Disney plus not Netflix, that was Sunderland, less of a happy ending to that one unless you like seeing posh ex Oxford fans pretending to DJ.

Good luck to Wrexham. I hadn’t realised they had been out of the league for fifteen years. For the fans that is good news. Their manager, Phil Parkinson, has done a Sterling job getting them including two of our ex players in their line up along with Mullin.

Good luck to Wrexham. I hadn’t realised they had been out of the league for fifteen years. For the fans that is good news. Their manager, Phil Parkinson, has done a Sterling job getting them including two of our ex players in their line up along with Mullin.
A sterling job...? :unsure:

I genuinely believe I could've got Wrexham promoted last season.

A club is worth what someone will pay for it. So is a shirt sponsorship.
This is wrong, individuals are often buying a club to stroke their ego, it's a play thing for people with too much money.

A sponsorship deal will more often than not need to demonstrate some kind of quantifiable return, whether that be brand recognition, increased sales etc.

This is wrong, individuals are often buying a club to stroke their ego, it's a play thing for people with too much money.

A sponsorship deal will more often than not need to demonstrate some kind of quantifiable return, whether that be brand recognition, increased sales etc.
Or in the case of an owner sponsoring their own club, it's just a cash injection to bypass spending rules!

Nope - just a football fan.

Any true football fan would turn their nose up at the circus that is Wrexham.
What a load of self-righteous, self-important tosh. You still seem remarkably engaged in your one man campaign, having previously expressed how 'bored' you were with the subject.

So, that must mean most of us are not 'true football' fans by your definition?

Last edited:
What a load of self-righteous, self-important tosh. You still seem remarkably engaged in your one man campaign, having previously expressed how 'bored' you were with the subject.

So, that must mean most of us are not 'true football' fans by your definition?
If that's what you want to see in football then I'd suggest you can't like the sport that much.

Whichever way you look at it, what Wrexham is doing is going against the principles of the game and they're doing it in the small part of football where some of the principles still exist (the lower leagues of English football). They're utterly destroying the integrity of competition.

The same people that have a problem with what Man City have done in the Prem don't have a problem with Wrexham, despite them doing very similar things (sponsoring themselves for unknown quantities, outspending competition to a point it's impossible for them to keep up etc etc etc).

As i've said, we'll see if the same people supporting Wrexham will still be doing it in a couple of years when they're in our league.

If that's what you want to see in football then I'd suggest you can't like the sport that much.

Whichever way you look at it, what Wrexham is doing is going against the principles of the game and they're doing it in the small part of football where some of the principles still exist (the lower leagues of English football). They're utterly destroying the integrity of competition.

The same people that have a problem with what Man City have done in the Prem don't have a problem with Wrexham, despite them doing very similar things (sponsoring themselves for unknown quantities, outspending competition to a point it's impossible for them to keep up etc etc etc).

As i've said, we'll see if the same people supporting Wrexham will still be doing it in a couple of years when they're in our league.

'Going against the principles of the game', really? What a pompous comment. It's good to know you are football's self-appointed moral guardian, or at least when someone upsets your notion of fairness

I actually said that I didn't have a problem with the Wrexham approach, rather than saying this is want I want to see throughout football. These guys actually invested in a club with a solid fanbase that was capable of being reactivated and grown. They have put money in and generated 3rd party income, they are rebuilding the ground, they have a connection with the community and importantly, they seem to be enjoying themselves.

So, you know for sure that they are breaking rules over investment and sponsorship do you?

Did you whine about the money invested in Fleetwood, Salford and Forest Green, where in spite of the money people aren't that engaged and crowds are lower generally than Wrexham's pre investment numbers. What about Notts County where the owners have also invested - they were actually 23 points above the third placed team

The sports washing at the likes of Man City and Newcastle, Abramovich's dodgy money, the shenanigans at Reading, Bolton and Wigan, stripping ground ownership away from clubs, stiffing creditors, as Portsmouth did a few years (including St Johns), financing your club by misappropriating pension funds, owners that you rarely or never hear or see (oh, hang on there!), these are the things going 'against the principles' of the game, not what has happened at Wrexham.

In answer to your question about support - of course people supporting them will still be doing it if they get into League One, that would be another indicator that the plan is working.

Back
Top Bottom