League One Midweek Games - 15/03/2022

Ah b****r, think a draw could have been the end of Wycombe. Still not too bad, should be Pompey gone + with Sheff Wed dropping points.

Its now officially in our hands, even if both Plymouth and Sheff Wed win their game in hand on us we would remain in 5th.

Brilliant Sheffield Wednesday dropped 2 points, and Pompey are as good as out of it.

Plus Plymouth have a tough run in, and they could yet help us, by beating teams in and around the top six.
I'll allow Pompey one more win.... On Saturday!!

Pompey were shocking tonight to be honest, they have Wycombe at home on Saturday and pretty.much have to win to have even the slimmest chance of making the play offs.

We would have expected all of our main rivals to have won tonight so the fact that Sheffield Wednesday dropped points is a bonus. Only a couple of weeks ago we were looking as far down as 10th/11th for possible late bursts but I think we can safely discount Bolton, Portsmouth and with anything less than a win at our place, Ipswich too. With the top three having a decent buffer zone we can reasonably say that it will be any three from Oxford, Plymouth, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe. Match their results over the next 8/9 games and we're in the playoffs. It's as simple as that now.

With 8 or 9 games left it’s ridiculous to write off anyone down to Ipswich or Pompey. Bolton look out of it but Pompey and Ipswich can get back in the mix. This is typical punditry talk, you see it every week in the PL after each round of results. If we lose on Saturday and Pompey - as well as Ipswich obviously - win then the picture changes again.

We have to go to Rotherham and Plymouth and take on MK and Ipswich at home, lose two of those and draw the other two - absolutely possible outcomes - and we’d be in a right battle to make the play offs. I think it will be tough for Pompey with the way the fixtures fall for them but the club with the next toughest run in is us.

My play off prediction is MK, Oxford, Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe.

With 8 or 9 games left it’s ridiculous to write off anyone down to Ipswich or Pompey. Bolton look out of it but Pompey and Ipswich can get back in the mix. This is typical punditry talk, you see it every week in the PL after each round of results. If we lose on Saturday and Pompey - as well as Ipswich obviously - win then the picture changes again.

We have to go to Rotherham and Plymouth and take on MK and Ipswich at home, lose two of those and draw the other two - absolutely possible outcomes - and we’d be in a right battle to make the play offs. I think it will be tough for Pompey with the way the fixtures fall for them but the club with the next toughest run in is us.

If we were to lose two of the games you mention and draw the other two, plus a draw against Sunderland for good measure, three more wins against Morecombe, Fleetwood and Doncaster - absolutely possible outcomes - and we would have 80 points and a pretty healthy goal difference.

If we don't lose against Ipswich on Saturday then they would need to get 19 points from their remaining 7 games to even match us. Portsmouth would need to get 22 points from 9 games to also match us.

So whilst its not impossible, it certainly is improbably that they will be back in the mix.

Still loads to play for and I have no clue who will make the play offs.

Here is all the remaining games where a top 9 side plays each other .

Oxford v Ipswich
Portsmouth v Wycombe
Ipswich v Plymouth
Sunderland v Rotherham
Portsmouth v Rotherham
Plymouth v Oxford
Oxford v Sunderland
Rotherham v Ipswich
Mk dons v Sheffield Wednesday
Wycombe v Plymouth
Ipswich v Wigan
Oxford v Mk dons
Plymouth v Sunderland
Rotherham v Oxford
Wigan v Plymouth
Wycombe v Sheffield Wednesday
Plymouth v mk dons
Sheffield Wednesday v Portsmouth

Them games will decide who makes the play offs.

Back
Top Bottom