Ex Player Mark Sykes goes to Bristol City.

Especially since we were very interested in selling him in the summers of both 2020 and 2021. Fair is fair.

Incidentally, what sort of offer were we wanting for him/what would we have accepted?

All water under the bridge of course. Sykes has had a curious career here, going from droppable to undroppable to forgettable. It'll be interesting how he goes at Bristol City.

Last edited:
Interested to see how it goes. I know others who don't believe he is Championship level, but could be winners all round even if it doesn't work out.

- Sykes gets his signing on fee and increased wages.
- Bristol City get a *relatively* cheap (I would imagine) squad option that can cover a few positions
- If it doesn't work out, Sykes gets a loan back to League One on Championship money...or Bristol City get some ££ from a top end League One club

A decent move for him despite only really producing for 4/5months of a 3.5 year stint with us.

Good luck!

Could we get O'Dowda back? Only made 20 appearances last season.

People question Sykes attitude well at least he didn't catch a cold like C.OD did lol

What’s Sykes done that’s any difference to Gorrin who isn’t getting any stick?

I think that people think the club took a chance on him and backed/pushed him when he seemed to be going nowhere. Therefore it rankles that we lost out on a fee when he was supported financially thru all this. Still let's see what the next step brings.

Incidentally, what sort of offer were we wanting for him/what would he have accepted?
We wanted half a million. Ipswich offered circa 350k last summer and we tried and failed to squeeze more out of them. The previous summer post-Wembley we tried to drum up interest with the number 10 shirt and the ROI ‘switch’ being announced in the space of a few days, but nobody came forward. We were even trying to loan him out to a League Two club in January of 2020.

Interested to see how it goes. I know others who don't believe he is Championship level, but could be winners all round even if it doesn't work out.

- Sykes gets his signing on fee and increased wages.
- Bristol City get a *relatively* cheap (I would imagine) squad option that can cover a few positions
- If it doesn't work out, Sykes gets a loan back to League One on Championship money...or Bristol City get some ££ from a top end League One club

A decent move for him despite only really producing for 4/5months of a 3.5 year stint with us.

Good luck!
I would be surprised if he is more than a squad player in the Championship, but stranger things have happened.
Was it v Newcastle, where he was excellent and gave them all kinds of problems?
He has the talent, and if he could be a bit more consistent he could do pretty well

Good luck to him.

The club appear to have offered him a 1 year deal.
I can understand him wanting a longer deal after his injury but can understand the club being reluctant to offer more than that.

It's probably the clubs way of saying we think we can do better than you but at the same time not wanting to p*ss the fans off by losing another OOC player.

Back
Top Bottom