General Sykes wants to play for the republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Scotchegg great post and very valid one too. I fully agree it is a load of B*****s and in this day and age it shouldn't be an issue.

That is the very reason why this frustrates me so much though because actions like this is what creates division rather than solidarity.

Great debate by the way, really enjoyed this so far.

@Scotchegg great post and very valid one too. I fully agree it is a load of B*****s and in this day and age it shouldn't be an issue.

That is the very reason why this frustrates me so much though because actions like this is what creates division rather than solidarity.

Great debate by the way, really enjoyed this so far.
I won't get into another argument, but it is the reaction of others that causes division far more than the actions of the individual.

As for enjoying the debate, wait until we're 50 pages in and someone is blaming Corbyn for it all before you judge!!!

I won't get into another argument, but it is the reaction of others that causes division far more than the actions of the individual.

As for enjoying the debate, wait until we're 50 pages in and someone is blaming Corbyn for it all before you judge!!!

If Corbyn had got in he would of changed allegiance to North Korea.

Some people are saying this move lacks class or has wasted NI's time and money, but let's put ourselves in his shoes. He's an up-and-coming youngster in the Northern Irish football leagues, and at 18 years of age he's asked if he wants to play for the NI U18 side. 'I'd prefer playing for the Republic, but this might be the only chance I get,' he might have thought. You can't turn down that opportunity, especially if he thinks there's familial or societal pressure to accept it. So he plays for their youth sides, and then four years later gets a move to England. He has a pretty good season and gets called up twice to the NI national side. He doesn't play a single minute.

Football, at the end of the day, is like any other career. If you don't take your opportunities then you might never get a second chance. I think asking an 18-year-old to 'pick a side forever' puts too much pressure on a young player, especially with a situation as complex as Northern Irish identity.

I'd just like to take back my comment earlier in the thread as well where I said "I hope he fails" as thar was said in anger.

I'll still be watching his career closely and hope he is successful as regardless of which country he represents he's still representing the island of Ireland. But I do hope we get them in the euro playoff final and smash them haha

We out-perform the EU on almost all workers standards and the EU is a protection racket for big business. Good try though.
Sorry, I know this isn't really the point of this thread, but are you seriously making these arguments in good faith? We derive the vast majority of our employment law, including worker standards and protections, from EU Regulations and Directives. These generally provide a floor (rather than a ceiling) of rights. So while e.g. the Working Time Directive dictates workers must have at least 4 weeks (20 days) paid leave a year, many countries exceed that (France, Denmark and Austria, for example, have 25 statutorily-guaranteed days) (the UK has 20). Countries are permitted to exceed these minimum standards. So if the UK does exceed the EU statutory minimum in certain respects, how is that evidence of malign intent by the EU, or of EU legislation somehow shackling the UK?

The EU sets certain minimum standards of workers' rights that the UK, upon leaving, would either adhere to (or exceed) anyway (in which case, why leave?), or lower (which is obviously bad for the typical worker - but better for 'big business', I daresay!).

Can we please delete this thread?

We delete history or discussion now if it becomes too uncomfortable?

Fundamentally flawed approach to difficult issues which drives topics underground and builds them up further. Let people openly discuss and challenge good and bad ideas on both sides. It’s how we collectively educate ourselves.

As long as it remains respectful I’m not sure on the problem.

Sorry, I know this isn't really the point of this thread, but are you seriously making these arguments in good faith? We derive the vast majority of our employment law, including worker standards and protections, from EU Regulations and Directives. These generally provide a floor (rather than a ceiling) of rights. So while e.g. the Working Time Directive dictates workers must have at least 4 weeks (20 days) paid leave a year, many countries exceed that (France, Denmark and Austria, for example, have 25 statutorily-guaranteed days) (the UK has 20). Countries are permitted to exceed these minimum standards. So if the UK does exceed the EU statutory minimum in certain respects, how is that evidence of malign intent by the EU, or of EU legislation somehow shackling the UK?

The EU sets certain minimum standards of workers' rights that the UK, upon leaving, would either adhere to (or exceed) anyway (in which case, why leave?), or lower (which is obviously bad for the typical worker - but better for 'big business', I daresay!).
I hope the board clocked that I nobly let this one go, in the interests of not starting another Brexit argument ...

Why should anyone respect Ox4eva I wonder?

Not only does he support a party with strong links to violent terrorists but he appears incapable of reasonable civility.

Probably been building too many bonfires over the summer.

Unless they are a vile scumbag...
Shot yourself in the foot there, didn't you? McClean seems a bit annoying but I'm not sure what the issue with him is. Poppies aren't compulsory these days though they are a nice gesture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom