Looks like Charlie has got his wish.

• Thread starter Deleted member 222
  • Start date
Anyway, remember his job at Sunderland is for PR to please the Sunderland fans. So of course he's got to mention that Stewart and him have been Oxford fans for years as it is hardly a secret. But then he has to say that he wants Sunderland to win. See Wilder for Oxford vs Sheffield United, Eales when we played Birmingham City. Their loyalty has to be their current club, irrespective of where the heart is.

They are "fans" not supporters. How anyone can "change clubs" is an anathema to me. Its only about £££££`s to them. CM was often lauded for doing stuff yet, when the £££`s were on the table, he had his price.
#Judas

Some people are so precious. Both SD and CM wanted to run this club. For whatever reason it didnt happen. Stewart in particular has done a huge amount for this club funding wise.

They have an opportunity to go and turn around a massive club, if successful theyll thoroughly deserve the cash theyll earn.

Of course their main interest now is Sunderland they own the club!

Good luck to them both.

There is an opportunity to make a decent sum of money from Sunderland.

There's a far greater opportunity to lose a lot more though.

Donald has confirmed he will be in Monaco this weekend to meet a potential new investor possibly Santori?

Stewart Donald has bought Sunderland as it’s potentially a very good investment, get them into the prem and recoup what you have spent from the tv rights then sell for a profit and let the next owners try to do something at that level, they are a lower table prem club so getting them back there isn’t rocket science.

Charlie supports one thing in his life, Charlie. His ego is huge and a football club can only ever be an extension of the great man. It is a bit strange that he was basically willing us to go down while involved in a takeover of another club though, but I suppose if you knock back an ego maniac he is going to lash out.

Getting out of Div 1 next season might not require a PhD in rocket science but getting out of the Championship will. imo, defy the laws of physics.
The Championship is a money pit and (someone) will need to invest tens or perhaps even hundreds of millions in to SAFC to do it. That someone else certainly wont be CM and probably wont be all SD so I'm wondering how they are going to make any money out of it, given that Mike Ashley is struggling to get his money back from that other club just up the road.

I think firstly Uncle Firoz will not relinquish the stadium while he is getting an over inflated wedge regularly for minimal up keep of a 3 sided rust bucket, plus the man has housing on his mind I think. WE was maybe the option for all parties but that has now past

I don’t agree. It makes absolutely no financial sense if all Ka$$am is getting is our rent. His fortune is about 315 million and he is 63 years old.
Rounding because I don’t know the actual amounts.
With the sale of the manor ground and the massively downgraded facilities at Grenoble Road, plus our rent so far he must be about even if not in profit from the original venture.

The stadium is worth say 15 million.
We pay about 500k per year so it would take a minimum of 30 years for him to make more than the sale would. He’s 63 so he’d need to live until he’s 93!
That doesn’t take into account he has to pay for upkeep, which is only going to get worse by the year.
I think it’s more a case of our various owners not being willing to pay out what Ka$$am thinks is a fair price.

Didn't Charlie used to go on about OUFC & Brighton having these fantastic catchment areas with no major club within 40-50 miles?

Mackems are (always) in the shadow of the proper big club 9 miles to their north and about 2 leagues below the Rapists 20 miles or less south who are quite similarly placed stadium-wise; sea to the east of them and hills to the west. Darlo, South Shields and Hartlepool sweeping up the non-league support. Fantastic catchment area?

Getting out of Div 1 next season might not require a PhD in rocket science but getting out of the Championship will. imo, defy the laws of physics.
The Championship is a money pit and (someone) will need to invest tens or perhaps even hundreds of millions in to SAFC to do it. That someone else certainly wont be CM and probably wont be all SD so I'm wondering how they are going to make any money out of it, given that Mike Ashley is struggling to get his money back from that other club just up the road.

Ashley wants a few hundred million for Newcastle though, I am guessing that Sunderland will be sold on for less than that. He got the club debt free so if you can fetch them back to the premier league he will make a very good profit, seems a decent gamble to me.

Missing the point. Huge difference between having an understandable interest in a business venture you’ve invested in and actually saying you want that business venture to do better than the cub you purportedly have always supported. And Charlie has stated in public he’d like Sunderland to finish higher than Oxford.

you've just brought into a football club, in the same division of "your" club - your addressing the fans/media of the club you now control, are you really expecting him to say " i hope we do well, but i hope Oxford finish above us this season"?

be all and end all, he is in it to make money and prosper - good luck to him - nothing he has done or said will have any real bareing on how WE, Oxford United, do this season or next - the season is under our control.

I would expect him to think carefully about taking over a club that isn't the one he supported 'since a boy' and then reject the idea, that's what I'd expect. You carry on making excuses for him if you like. We all realise he's doing it to make money. Some of us also appreciate he's sold his soul.

im not making excuses for him, im just stating a plausible opinion (message boards like these are here for that purpose) that, as a business man, he saw this opportunity to good to turn down, he HAD tried previously to purchase his "boyhood" club, but that didn't materialize, he has this opportunity and has taken it.

are you honestly telling me, you belive that he should of forgone the chance to potentially earn a hefty amount of money just because it isn't Oxford?

its easy for people not in that financial position to say what he should or shouldn't do with his money, at the end of the day its his money.

I dont often agree with @Pete Burrett but on this I do. I can`t get my head around people who change clubs like its a pair of socks.
Jobs yes, career path`s yes..... but football, for the majority of us, is far more about loyalty and passion than ££££`s.
I`ll stick with #judas sums him up well.

I know this is a message board. I've read your opinion and replied to it. I too understand what a message board is for.

Charlie can spend his money as he wishes, although it's not clear how much he has put into SAFC, if anything. He is a 6% shareholder, that's all we know.

My underlying point remains. In the hope of making money he is favouring a club that is not in his heart, apparently.

the message board comment may have been a little flippant, sorry :)

anyway, regarding your underlying point, dont we all do that every-week (albeit on a much smaller scale but principle is the same) - hope to make money from a club that is not in our heart, by putting a bet on a game in say the premiership or even other league 1 matches?

It’s what Chas said about OUFC in the reports that rankles a bit. It was a thoughtless unnecessary comment.

From what Is being reported Chas has just taken his finder’s fee as a slice of shares - which is fair enough. There’s obviously some commitment to the project. Thought Chas and Stew spoke well in the Roker Roar podcast - Chas seems to be taking a pretty prominent role in everything.

If Stew Donald is effectively paying £40m for the club - correct me I’m wrong but isn’t that’s a big chunk of the Donald family financial interests?
Looks risky to me - without supporting investors on board. And with only a big talking PR man with no real money on the table as a mate.

No wonder he was on the plane to Monaco today..

Back
Top Bottom