Looks like Charlie has got his wish.

• Thread starter Deleted member 222
  • Start date
Not always possibly to have that big an impact especially with the amount of changes needed. Took mapp a whole season to build a side and get them playing together.
MAPP came in late in the pre season. So he had to gamble on some players.
KR has had a few weeks to decide who he wants to keep, by all accounts knows who he wants and has a full pre season.
KR has a big advantage over MAPPs first season

A big advantage yes, but it’s still a massive ask when u talking about 10/11 new players coming in to get them bonding as a team and playing how u want them to. Bury signed some very good players, trouble was they signed so many. Kr will be fine and have us challenging top 10, pretty much on budget. If we can go better this year then great but that will take the group of players bonding as a team fairly quickly , if not we will have a much more stable base next summer and only need a few additions.

Not always possibly to have that big an impact especially with the amount of changes needed. Took mapp a whole season to build a side and get them playing together.

And they’re be another reason next season and so on....

And they’re be another reason next season and so on....

Not from me there wouldn’t. Just don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that with having a chance of coaching staff, change of owner behind the scenes, and 10 new players in, and were being told that these will be pushing for first choice not just squad players, I can’t think of many teams that have replaced nearly half a 25 man squad and got promoted the following season so it might take some time to get them playing as a unit. No doubt if were not top 3 by xmas ur mate will be putting on relegation bets, and there will be calls for a change of manager. But I think we will have a good season, but it won’t quite finish in promotion, possibly ending in the playoffs or just outside. Which will still be about an on budget finish and one of our highest in 20+ years

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you've got to give a new manager some time. Yes we will (hopefully!) have a completely revamped squad, with some players we will all be excited to watch. But as Dave says; it will take time, team building is more than getting good players in, doing some training and playing a few PSFs and Bob's your auntie. There's a reason why 'match sharpness' is quoted when individuals come back from injury - similarly, a team needs to come together in a proper, 'it actually means something' series of matches to really find its feet. Having said that, the effect that KR managed to have on a disorganised and dispirited squad towards the end of the season certainly gives me hope that he will be able to shape and motivate a new squad who actually believe in their manager.

I think it very strange that a so called boyhood Oxford fan, with 40 million to blow on a club in the north east, couldn’t have sorted out our stadium mess.
Furthermore given that he and his business partners must be able to muster up a fair few million to spend on players too. Forget the 25 million parachute payment that’s peanuts compared to what they’ll need in the championship.
They could’ve managed to set that boyhood club up for life by helping to sort out the stadium once and for all.

Last edited:
I think it very strange that a so called boyhood Oxford fan, with 40 million to blow on a club in the north east, couldn’t have sorted out our stadium mess.
Furthermore given that he and his business partners must be able to muster up a fair few million to spend on players too. Forget the 25 million parachute payment that’s peanuts compared to what they’ll need in the championship.
They could’ve managed to set that boyhood club up for life by helping to sort out the stadium mess.

I think firstly Uncle Firoz will not relinquish the stadium while he is getting an over inflated wedge regularly for minimal up keep of a 3 sided rust bucket, plus the man has housing on his mind I think. WE was maybe the option for all parties but that has now past

I'm secretly hoping Tiger can offer some of his percentage on the land around the Madeski to leverage a deal, well that's my pipe dream anyway, although I am still waiting anxiously that he comes up with the goods for KR for the coming season.

Still, good on SD for doing what he is doing and all the best to him, apart from the 6 pointer next season! ;)

Maybe one day when he takes Sunderland back to the prem and makes a few hundred million he will come back and takes us on a journey we deserve to the promise land..

I'm happy for Stewart and good luck to him at Sunderland. With regards to Charlie, I just wish we could close this thread now as it is really just feeding the Troll IMO.

I heard Charlie and Stewart on the radio this morning. Stewart was very magnanimous about being an Oxford fan and said he hopes Sunderland and us get promoted. Charlie on the other hand said he was now a Sunderland supporter or words to that effect.
Can't see how this happens .Once you support a club it should be for life.
Very disappointed in Charlie,
I have always read his posts with interest and always thought he had the good of the club in mind whenever he posted.Didnt always agree with him ,and I don't think he deserved all the stick he received.
However to say you are now a supporter of a different club stinks.

I heard Charlie and Stewart on the radio this morning. Stewart was very magnanimous about being an Oxford fan and said he hopes Sunderland and us get promoted. Charlie on the other hand said he was now a Sunderland supporter or words to that effect.
Can't see how this happens .Once you support a club it should be for life.
Very disappointed in Charlie,
I have always read his posts with interest and always thought he had the good of the club in mind whenever he posted.Didnt always agree with him ,and I don't think he deserved all the stick he received.
However to say you are now a supporter of a different club stinks.
Methinks Charlie is showing his true colours :mad:

`The chameleon syndrome is alive and well . Mr. Methven has failed to win any plaudits for his conduct, instead he leaves behind a stench of bilious projectile nonsense masquerading as pseudo intellectual contribution. Shame on you sir, your colours are many and suit your environment. Clearly, they were never yellow and blue

People saying about why SD couldn’t of ran Oxford United need to look no further to his now right hand man Charlie. He managed to P**s off that many people at the club to the point no one would deal with a take over where Charlie was involved. Main example recently is the Satori bid.

come on give the guy a break, he was kissing our badge moments before heading for the North East !

Odd that he revealed his bet for "his" club to be relegated and continued posting his digs at all things Oxford when clearly this takeover was in the offing, still he will also get the customary diary non winners get from their bookie after his failed betting coup.

Your football club is for life but a Train set is just for Christmas !

Stewart Donald has bought Sunderland as it’s potentially a very good investment, get them into the prem and recoup what you have spent from the tv rights then sell for a profit and let the next owners try to do something at that level, they are a lower table prem club so getting them back there isn’t rocket science.

Charlie supports one thing in his life, Charlie. His ego is huge and a football club can only ever be an extension of the great man. It is a bit strange that he was basically willing us to go down while involved in a takeover of another club though, but I suppose if you knock back an ego maniac he is going to lash out.

Indeed. Would a man with a 6% share in another club be petty enough to rejoin combat with us imbeciles, or will he concentrate on turning the Mackems around and making his fortune? I'm not sure. Chas loves a fight.

Last logged in on Saturday so enjoys having a look :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom