Looks like Charlie has got his wish.

• Thread starter Deleted member 222
  • Start date
It’s what Chas said about OUFC in the reports that rankles a bit. It was a thoughtless unnecessary comment.

From what Is being reported Chas has just taken his finder’s fee as a slice of shares - which is fair enough. There’s obviously some commitment to the project. Thought Chas and Stew spoke well in the Roker Roar podcast - Chas seems to be taking a pretty prominent role in everything.

If Stew Donald is effectively paying £40m for the club - correct me I’m wrong but isn’t that’s a big chunk of the Donald family financial interests?
Looks risky to me - without supporting investors on board. And with only a big talking PR man with no real money on the table as a mate.

No wonder he was on the plane to Monaco today..
Are you implying SD has been sold ANOTHER pup by chas.

Missing the point. Huge difference between having an understandable interest in a business venture you’ve invested in and actually saying you want that business venture to do better than the cub you purportedly have always supported. And Charlie has stated in public he’d like Sunderland to finish higher than Oxford.

What else is he going to say?

I don’t agree. It makes absolutely no financial sense if all Ka$$am is getting is our rent. His fortune is about 315 million and he is 63 years old.
Rounding because I don’t know the actual amounts.
With the sale of the manor ground and the massively downgraded facilities at Grenoble Road, plus our rent so far he must be about even if not in profit from the original venture.

The stadium is worth say 15 million.
We pay about 500k per year so it would take a minimum of 30 years for him to make more than the sale would. He’s 63 so he’d need to live until he’s 93!
That doesn’t take into account he has to pay for upkeep, which is only going to get worse by the year.
I think it’s more a case of our various owners not being willing to pay out what Ka$$am thinks is a fair price.

Fair price?!

I dont often agree with @Pete Burrett but on this I do. I can`t get my head around people who change clubs like its a pair of socks.
Jobs yes, career path`s yes..... but football, for the majority of us, is far more about loyalty and passion than ££££`s.
I`ll stick with #judas sums him up well.

Wasn’t it Charlie that tried to get Darryl to sell to Sartori etc this time last year, but Darryl felt it wasn’t in the best interest of the club.

I’m sure Charlie would have preferred to have been involved at Oxford than Sunderland, but unfortunately that hasn’t happened yet.

And Charlie isn’t the money man here, he’s just supporting/helping call it what you will, a close friend in SD.

Personally, I just think it’s a shame that Stewart, Sartori and Charlie didn’t have the opportunity to purchase our club and taken us on a prosperous journey.

Good luck to them, and I hope we finish above Sunderland, but I don’t wish them ill feelings.

Personally, I just think it’s a shame that Stewart, Sartori and Charlie didn’t have the opportunity to purchase our club and taken us on a prosperous journey.

I struggle with that.

An opportunity would have been made if the desire was there.

Yes exactly Pete. I do not wish ill to either of them but I reckon they will struggle to win over the vitriolic fanbase up there. They already are struggling to get a manager of any note & I will be interested to see how many "quality" players the St Mirren guy can attract to Sunderland.

What else is he going to say?
I've made my views on this clear. He shouldn't have put himself in a position where he felt he had to favour another club over his own.

Still, Charlie's now made his bed. Surprised and a little disappointed that you're allowing him to continue using you from beyond the grave though, Sean.

He’s dead too? This story really is moving on quickly!

Jack Ross has a done a good job at St Mirren which hasn’t gone unnoticed in footballing circles, Ipswich also wanted him. On paper a decent appointment but it’s a big step up managing Sunderland.

As to attracting players I don’t think that will be an issue, money talks. Sunderland will have a huge financial advantage over all the other clubs in League One. Anything other than promotion next season will be seen as failure.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Yes exactly Pete. I do not wish ill to either of them but I reckon they will struggle to win over the vitriolic fanbase up there. They already are struggling to get a manager of any note & I will be interested to see how many "quality" players the St Mirren guy can attract to Sunderland.
Are they struggling to get a manager in?
I would say they are taking a gamble (didnt mK do something similar?).
But if their wage bill is what 6-7 times the average wage bill in League 1, then surely even Sunderland with a basically competent manager couldnt screw that up?

Our marriage with Charlie has been on the rocks for a while now. He's left the marital home and moved in with what he believes is a sexier model. We need to get over our bitterness and move on. I think one day he'll be back to his first love - once the sexy thing starts to become a chore and the excitement dies down.

You really would have liked Methven involved at OUFC?

That’s astounding.

Indeed. Give me a Bangkok based fellow with limited command of Queen's, opaque financial resources and questionable business partners to run OUFC any day of the week!

To be fair, one has past experience of running a football club, and advisors that have run some of the biggest teams in the country very successfully . The other has proven many times on here that he knows no f*****g more about football than the rest of us.

Both seem to have similar views on brand oxford, and the potential in the catchment area. Only 1 put his money where his mouth is

Ashley wants a few hundred million for Newcastle though, I am guessing that Sunderland will be sold on for less than that. He got the club debt free so if you can fetch them back to the premier league he will make a very good profit, seems a decent gamble to me.

But my point is he (Ashley) won't be making much of a profit on that I don't think? If SD has shelled out £40m for a Div 1 side, he (& others) are going to have to pump, what, £100m + in to get them back into the EPL. If they put that sort of money in and DON'T get back to the EPL then SD could be kissing goodbye to most, if not all of his fortune.

Our marriage with Charlie has been on the rocks for a while now. He's left the marital home and moved in with what he believes is a sexier model. We need to get over our bitterness and move on. I think one day he'll be back to his first love - once the sexy thing starts to become a chore and the excitement dies down.
I’m not sure his first love will want him back.

The first love would take Charlie back in a heartbeat - IF he could arrange for a brand, spanking new home to be built, enabling her to move away from the dilapidated, 3-sided current abode and its greedy landlord...

The first love would take Charlie back in a heartbeat - IF he could arrange for a brand, spanking new home to be built, enabling her to move away from the dilapidated, 3-sided current abode and its greedy landlord...

The first love would have already moved into a brand spanking new home at WE, if only he had thought to check with the local council and not just farmer Jon

Anyway, we could find that Stewart and Charlie reappear a few years down the line. It's not implausible that they make a fortune on Sunderland, and are then ready to pick up the pieces if Tiger runs out of money here.

Back
Top Bottom