Manager/Coach Life After Manning - New Manager Search

Who do you want as the next OUFC manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I’d rather have John Eustace (EFL experience) and all that compensation money on strengthening the squad for the battle yet to come.
Not to completely discount it but I think smart managerial appointments are less and less about EFL experience. Karl Robinson has 700 games, he’s seen it all. Would you wish him on anyone bar our worst enemies? I’d argue we looked more balanced under Manning, <100 EFL games, than at any point in KR’s 5 year spell.

Not to completely discount it but I think smart managerial appointments are less and less about EFL experience. Karl Robinson has 700 games, he’s seen it all. Would you wish him on anyone bar our worst enemies? I’d argue we looked more balanced under Manning, <100 EFL games, than at any point in KR’s 5 year spell.
Bristol Rovers hopefully 🙏

Sure, but let’s not rewrite history entirely and pretend that we were, at times, not a good side under KR.

I think DB is a risk, but there may be mitigating factors that the interviewing team are impressed by and take the risk. They chose well last time, so I have considerable faith.

Sure, but let’s not rewrite history entirely and pretend that we were, at times, not a good side under KR.
That of course isn't the only reason why people didn't like Karl.

He showed himself up as a bully in his first six months, treating Pekalski as a scapegoat. It's all recorded in the Oxford Mail.

Sections of our fanbase applauded KR for it, but others were also appalled.

I think I’d rather have John Eustace (EFL experience) and all that compensation money on strengthening the squad for the battle yet to come.
Eustace has enough good PR from his spell at Birmingham to wait for a Championship job I'd have thought. I think we're a really attractive profile for most managers, but it would surprise me if Eustace wanted to come down a level now he's cut his teeth. Rotherham job is available...?

I think DB is a risk, but there may be mitigating factors that the interviewing team are impressed by and take the risk. They chose well last time, so I have considerable faith.
No I wasn’t suggesting that and don’t want to open that can of worms. But it’s just to highlight that Robinson boasts 7x(!!) the amount of EFL experience to Manning and can we honestly say it came to the fore at any point where you could go ‘Manning would never have thought of that’?.

With Manning, despite having far fewer games in his memory log, we had that ability to change gears and play different styles. Look how we played at home vs Exeter - it was like a different team, but 3-0 win all the same.

Des is a risk but there’s something to be said for a proper football education like he’s had, particularly at CFG. How many games in the EFL is that worth?

Well said. He is just looking for bites and a reaction.
I'm not sure how. I just find it weird how people support the case for Luke Williams (relegated from this league) and Des (never managed in this league) yet ridicule someone who has won the league as well as performing a really decent job the last few seasons.

• React
Reactions: m
That of course isn't the only reason why people didn't like Karl.

He showed himself up as a bully in his first six months, treating Pekalski as a scapegoat. It's all recorded in the Oxford Mail.

Sections of our fanbase applauded KR for it, but others were also appalled.
You won’t find many people who drank less KR Kool-Aid than I.

No I wasn’t suggesting that and don’t want to open that can of worms. But it’s just to highlight that Robinson boasts 7x(!!) the amount of EFL experience to Manning and can we honestly say it came to the fore at any point where you could go ‘Manning would never have thought of that’?.

With Manning, despite having far fewer games in his memory log, we had that ability to change gears and play different styles. Look how we played at home vs Exeter - it was like a different team, but 3-0 win all the same.

Des is a risk but there’s something to be said for a proper football education like he’s had, particularly at CFG. How many games in the EFL is that worth?
CFG = resources well above the average enjoyed by the local competitors.

A good education or an education in (unfair) advantage?

Just googled Des, his CV is excellent to be fair. Great achievements in Australia and New Zealand and has taken indian football to a new level internationally.

Could be money well spent. The managers position is the most important in football not any given players. If you have a great manager, the rest falls into place

CFG = resources well above the average enjoyed by the local competitors.

A good education or an education in (unfair) advantage?

The city football group clubs nearly always have the largest budgets in their respective leagues, doesn't take much to be successful, just a cheque book

I'm not sure how. I just find it weird how people support the case for Luke Williams (relegated from this league) and Des (never managed in this league) yet ridicule someone who has won the league as well as performing a really decent job the last few seasons.

McKenna had never managed in this league. Nor had Schumacher (as a manager), and they turned out pretty well. The experience factor is becoming really stale in football, everyone is turning to young, up and coming coaches.

McKenna had never managed in this league. Nor had Schumacher (as a manager), and they turned out pretty well. The experience factor is becoming really stale in football, everyone is turning to young, up and coming coaches.

Both played professionally though didn't they?

Cotterill., who took Shrewsbury from 18th to the dizzy heights of.. 15th! Screams a top manager at this level

The standard of the Indian league is shocking. Huge step up him, let's hope hes ready.

The standard of the Indian league is shocking. Huge step up him, let's hope hes ready.

Mumbai have beaten Saudi Arabian teams in champions league. You will be telling me next that they are under-invested also. How can playing Saudi Arabias best 1 week and Cheltenham the next be a huge step up?.

Mumbai have beaten Saudi Arabian teams in champions league. You will be telling me next that they are under-invested also. How can playing Saudi Arabias best 1 week and Cheltenham the next be a huge step up?.

Because India and Saudi are footballing backwaters.

As for investment, as we've seen with the charges levelled against Man City the City football group may not always play by the rules with regards to how much and how they investment so their clubs' achievements are tainted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom