Manager/Coach Life After Manning - New Manager Search

Who do you want as the next OUFC manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone who’s listened plain his reasoning?
Basically said that he is very attacking and not sure coming in mid-season is ideal given his attacking approach and that the defensive security seen under manning may not be replicated. Wasn’t saying he was a poor choice just had a doubt (how I interpreted it) and Equally seemed to imply that if inbetween seasons he would be in favour.

It was that Williams is an attack-first manager (a style described as "extreme"!), who isn't that worried about defensive shape, and that thus it would be a very different approach from Manning's. He said it might be fine as a summer appointment, with time for coaching, but maybe not a great fit for us mid-season.

Can someone who’s listened plain his reasoning?

I can't shed any light on his reasoning and find it a very bizarre view. Williams is 43 - good age, had success with some unreal statistics in the NL, continued the momentum in L2, decent amount of experience and a perfect fit in terms of our current system. I, too, would be interested to find out why Williams wouldn't be right for us, he seems absolutely ripe for this sort of job in his managerially journey.

It was that Williams is an attack-first manager (a style described as "extreme"!), who isn't that worried about defensive shape, and that thus it would be a very different approach from Manning's. He said it might be fine as a summer appointment, with time for coaching, but maybe not a great fit for us mid-season.

It looks like some fans might be getting twitchy at the thought of us taking the Manning handbrake off and taking the game to the opposition. What do we want, a sideways pragmatist like Manning or a bit of Postecoglu style fun and games ?

Whichever one gives the best chance of promotion.

Of course but we look very sound defensively and there's no reason why that solidity in defence will suddenly wilt if we become just a bit more threatening in the final third. It is possible to have both - it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Notts County don't have decent wing backs like Leigh and Stevens though. Also, I would imagine that our 3 centre backs and goalkeeper are much better than Notts County.

Of course but we look very sound defensively and there's no reason why that solidity in defence will suddenly wilt if we become just a bit more threatening in the final third. It is possible to have both - it doesn't have to be one or the other.
It's all relative though ...if we push an extra player or two up then we are short if the atack breaks down leaving us exposed more and criticism for the non protected defence.
Personally I want Des , struggling to get into Wiliams partly because of Scum links but not enthused by him as a person .

True, but it's also possible with the same backline to relegate us if you try hard enough.

Jodi Jones apparently is their left WB

I’m beginning to think it won’t be either Buckingham or Williams.

Has Andrew Crofts been mentioned at all..? I would think he would fit the criteria we’ll be looking at. I know the club admires the way Brighton do things.

Haven't we scored the joint most goals in the league?

Now the interviews have started, I suspect the big name links (Lampard etc) will fade away.

I think the club, sensibly, are looking for someone of a similar ilk to Manning with a preference for someone to be appointed this week. Sure we will see some new names enter the betting!

It has begun:

This is so damned exciting,
The timing of looking at a manager couldn't have been better with the pp of Portsmouth and the quality of candidates around.
I personally keep changing my mind of the mentioned candidates,
Whoever it is, I feel this is our season.

I have to admit I've been flitting from manager to manager and can see pros and cons in all the mentioned names. Probably where we have to trust the board and the recruitment process. Right now, it's Williams for me but yesterday I was in the Des Buckingham camp. Like a few others, I still think it could be a name out of the blue that just blows them away in an interview. Exciting times indeed.

It looks like some fans might be getting twitchy at the thought of us taking the Manning handbrake off and taking the game to the opposition. What do we want, a sideways pragmatist like Manning or a bit of Postecoglu style fun and games ?
Sideways pragmatist? In fairness to M.......g we are the highest scorers in the league. Quite happy with the style and balance thanks

This is so damned exciting,
The timing of looking at a manager couldn't have been better with the pp of Portsmouth and the quality of candidates around.
I personally keep changing my mind of the mentioned candidates,
Whoever it is, I feel this is our season.
You're setting me off now. It is exciting and the calibre of the suggested candidates is superb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom