Manager/Coach Life After Manning - New Manager Search

Who do you want as the next OUFC manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buckingham back in the Oxford mix, 25/1 after the Lincoln interest, now 6/1, something is going on.

Bets were suspended with who was going to be Lincoln's new manager earlier today and now it's back open.

Interesting, I'm not that expert on betting markets. What is that likely to mean happened?

I don’t really have much of a clue when it comes to these betting markets but I do watch our ‘new manager’ one with interest

I’ve noted today that every single name as lengthened significantly today. The favourites have gone out from 2’s to 4’s and everyone else has gone out by the same. Nobody’s odds have shortened.

Does anyone with more knowledge know why this would be?

I watched a few interviews with Buckingham today. Really comes off credible and estute. Has previously extended his contract at Mumbai too, so has an aire of loyalty… spoke of adding ‘layers’ ontop of an already performing team. Seems very Manning, guess it’s the same CFG handbook?

I’m leaning towards him… especially now BV reopened betting and he’s now shorter odds with us…

I don’t really have much of a clue when it comes to these betting markets but I do watch our ‘new manager’ one with interest

I’ve noted today that every single name as lengthened significantly today. The favourites have gone out from 2’s to 4’s and everyone else has gone out by the same. Nobody’s odds have shortened.

Does anyone with more knowledge know why this would be?

Probably because no one is putting money on and they're looking to get a bit of movement by giving them more value.

Interesting, I'm not that expert on betting markets. What is that likely to mean happened?
It could be someone knows something or it could be as simple as a couple of people have had £20 on and they've panicked and closed the book. These markets the bookies have no inside knowledge on so they guess and can over ready if it looks like the public might have a slight edge on them. It would seem an odd choice on the face of it going to Lincoln over us even taking geography out of it, I'd have thought from a neutral perspective we're the better option.

It's pretty obvious the bookies simply keep an eye out on all the social media channels of all those manager-less clubs and alter their odds accordingly. This could be the frequency of a name being mentioned, people putting bets on or local media articles. There'll be AI algorithms as well.
If 10 of us put £30 on Lampard they'd immediately suspend betting.

It's pretty obvious the bookies simply keep an eye out on all the social media channels of all those manager-less clubs and alter their odds accordingly. This could be the frequency of a name being mentioned, people putting bets on or local media articles. There'll be AI algorithms as well.
If 10 of us put £30 on Lampard they'd immediately suspend betting.
Hold on, let me put a tenner on the betting on lampard being suspended first…

It could be someone knows something or it could be as simple as a couple of people have had £20 on and they've panicked and closed the book. These markets the bookies have no inside knowledge on so they guess and can over ready if it looks like the public might have a slight edge on them. It would seem an odd choice on the face of it going to Lincoln over us even taking geography out of it, I'd have thought from a neutral perspective we're the better option.
Yeah, betting markets need to be seen as ways for the bookies to make money, rather than a prediction on what will happen. Sometimes it correlates if enough people ITK put a bet on, but markets/names are suspended when the bookmaker fears they'll only start losing money on that particular betting option.

Over the last few times we have been looking for a manager, I think we should have learned that the betting markets (especially when you are talking about the next manager of a L1 club) are absolutely no barometer of who has applied, who has been interviewed or who has been rejected - never mind who is going to get the job. The sole aim of these companies is to get your money off you and if you want to bet on Karl Robinson, Jurgen Klopp or Peppa Pig to be our next manager they will be happy to take your money - and give you tempting odds to try to persuade you to do so.

Well I remember bets being suspended at McCann being favourite and then Manning being announced the following day.
My understanding on this was that McCann was the first choice and offered the job, but he pulled out due to issues with his backroom staff. So if that is true, at one point the suspension of betting was with good reason.

A lot of 'noise' online about Buckingham going to Lincoln - the 'net is an echo chamber that just gets louder and amplifies the feint signal until it appears to be the truth.
Could it be that he's actually in the UK looking at potentially us and Lincoln?

A lot of 'noise' online about Buckingham going to Lincoln - the 'net is an echo chamber that just gets louder and amplifies the feint signal until it appears to be the truth.
Could it be that he's actually in the UK looking at potentially us and Lincoln?
The Des Buckingham to Lincoln rumour was pretty much dismissed by Jerome Sale on RadOx tonight, he's been assured by people he knows connected to Lincoln that there is nothing in it.

My understanding on this was that McCann was the first choice and offered the job, but he pulled out due to issues with his backroom staff. So if that is true, at one point the suspension of betting was with good reason.

First I've heard of that.

I could be wrong, but I think Sheffield Wednesday fans once deliberately started a rumour on their site to see if they could affect the betting markets, and I believe it was so successful that a journalist cited the rumour too.

I could be wrong, but I think Sheffield Wednesday fans once deliberately started a rumour on their site to see if they could affect the betting markets, and I believe it was so successful that a journalist cited the rumour too.
Think you might have started an Ainsworth rumour ! overheard in the White Horse by a bucks free press reporter 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom