Ex-Staff Liam Manning

With both Dickie and when he returns Atkinson both comfortable being the ball forward,I wonder how they will cope with the aimless sideways stuff that we do,

You're guessing in my opinion, and I really don't agree with you, the board gave Liam huge resources and control over the clubs football activities.

With respect, the board also only gave him a 1 year rolling contract. By definition, as a result LM only ever had limited security within his contract with OUFC.

If he was offered a 3.5 year deal, in a league higher with a bigger salary, but your existing employers only had enough faith to effectively give you a 12 month rolling contract from the outset - what would you do?

We can all be as emotional as we like but whether we like it or not, Grant and Tim did not protect the football club robustly enough with LM's contract. People won't like it, but that is the way of it and that is a contributing factor of why we are where we are. Hopefully lessons are learnt this time around.

FWIW, i don't think the situation is insurmountable. We are a very attractive job and i expect us to conduct a robust recruitment process and appoint a really exciting manager. One name that hasn't been mentioned but was to me by a friend just now - How about Ryan Mason? Young coach at Spurs who has acted as caretaker their already and is well thought of. It's not the worst shout i've heard.

With both Dickie and when he returns Atkinson both comfortable being the ball forward,I wonder how they will cope with the aimless sideways stuff that we do,
Maybe they'll bring the ball forwards and we don't because we don't have the players to? Not a dig at our current squad but it would have been foolish to tell Moore to try charging through midfield a couple of times a game.

Me and my son are always saying this ! The amount of random facts dished out by Sky etc is ridiculous. I get it if it's a landmark like 10, 25, 50 etc but stuff like 'It's Tottenham best start to a season after 7 games since 1982' is meaningless drivel and no ones bothered by that sort of rubbish - who cares ! They just match up time frames that mean nothing to a stat and try and make a story out of it.
And more annoyingly they only tend to refer to the 'Premier League Era' because football only started in 1992 - wankers

To all those saying he should have stayed and get a promotion on his CV, it really isn't that straightforward...

...great if it comes off, but it will inevitably be a fine line come the end of the season - we could carry on as we are, but someone else finish stronger, pip us to 2nd on goal difference, and then an off day in the playoffs and he remains tagged as a L1 manager..and may even start getting a rep as a promotion bottler...

...but if he makes the move, doesn't have a complete disaster, and makes it into next season then he becomes tagged as a championship level manager.

In short his chances of staying up with BC (and probably quite comfortably) are greater than getting up with us....and it is the being there, not the getting there that is the main thing in football today.

And as others have said, he turned down offers during/after his good season at mkd , and where did that leave him only a few months later?

Saying that, there is a lovely bite to that announcement isn't there...

It's all 'ifs' and 'buts' but should he be a flop at Bristol City and be sacked before the end of the current season, what then for him? A busted flush before his 39th birthday?

We see so many managers jump ship before achieving anything and come crashing back down again. It can be damn hard to get back up again if you start racking up sackings and poor jobs at places.

With respect, the board also only gave him a 1 year rolling contract. By definition, as a result LM only ever had limited security within his contract with OUFC.

If he was offered a 3.5 year deal, in a league higher with a bigger salary, but your existing employers only had enough faith to effectively give you a 12 month rolling contract from the outset - what would you do?

We can all be as emotional as we like but whether we like it or not, Grant and Tim did not protect the football club robustly enough with LM's contract. People won't like it, but that is the way of it and that is a contributing factor of why we are where we are. Hopefully lessons are learnt this time around.

FWIW, i don't think the situation is insurmountable. We are a very attractive job and i expect us to conduct a robust recruitment process and appoint a really exciting manager. One name that hasn't been mentioned but was to me by a friend just now - How about Ryan Mason? Young coach at Spurs who has acted as caretaker their already and is well thought of. It's not the worst shout i've heard.
Protection - that’s simply the notice period/severance. No reason that it would be more in a 3.5 year contract than a 1 year rolling contract (unless you’re Karl and are negotiating with Tiger).

As for protecting the club, that could be a different story.

Random thoughts (that may have been brought up at some point in the last 100-odd pages but I'm afraid I have missed):

- Let's not get spitefully revisionist - he did a pretty incredible job in turning us around in the time he was here. The avoiding of relegation was, to be fair, I think a lot tighter than it needed to be, but you can’t pretend the summer and this season so far haven’t been an impressive turnaround. He deserves credit for that (as well as does the Board and Waldron etc).

- He's not irreplaceable. For whoever comes in, the foundations are there for our club to continue to progress and push for promotion. Given how well we recruited last time, I think we can have some faith that the Board will get it right again.

- That said, let's not pretend he hasn't pretty massively fucked us over - this is incredibly likely to derail us. The fact that pretty much the entire coaching staff is changing overnight is enormously disruptive. It’s a weak league this year, but that means it’s all pretty bunched at the top. We can’t afford a bad couple of months while we look for a replacement and get them in. This will seriously jeopardise our promotion chances.

It's not even the fact in itself that he's moving on, it's the timing. It is just a dick move. It's one thing jumping ship in the summer or at a time when the club has the opportunity to contingency plan, select an appropriate replacement and give that individual the opportunity to implement their style and bring in players to suit that. It's quite another doing it mid season when the club has backed you in bringing in a load of players, at no small expense, that suit your style of play. You know as a manager that moving mid-season, if you're doing well, is in most cases going to f**k up that team’s season. It’s just the move of a s**t bloke.

- Also, with all due respect to Bristol City, who I do like, is it that plum a job that you’d drop such a strong set up and chance for promotion to move there? I think part of the collective anger in these sorts of cases is at least partly, much as we don’t like to admit it, that they remind us of our place in the footballing pyramid. But in this case, I do think it’s justified. Sure, they’re 4 points off the playoffs, but they’re frankly not going up in a league with Southampton, Leicester, Ipswich and Leeds in it this year, even if they do make the playoffs. What’s the plan? Get some patronising plaudits for scraping into the playoffs a couple of times, without ever actually achieving anything? Managers need tangible success on their CV. A promotion with us from League One would be worth so much more than, best case scenario, ‘doing quite well’ with Bristol. And taking the gamble on being the guy who can be dropped into a middling Championship side mid-year and be the magic sparkle that gets them promoted, after a decade of mid table finishes, seems so unlikely and like such a massive and unnecessary risk when you’ve already got such a tailor-made situation for you in your current employment. I just don’t get it.

- The major, major concern is that he takes a big steaming s**t where he used to eat in January and pilfers our best performers. We know he’s not averse to working with trusted personnel from previous jobs from the MacEachran signing, and Brannagan, MacGuane and Beadle are all players who have all been star performers under him and who we have dwindling, or indeed no, power to hang on to with each day that passes. Even Edwards’ loan could be terminated if Manning were to have a word with Ipswich. We absolutely must make sure that doesn’t happen, as much to try and retain some consistency across the season as anything.

It’s a pretty grim situation and I don’t really understand the people not angered with him about this. We had a superb chance to get promoted this season, and that has now been put in serious jeopardy by a manager jumping ship at the first opportunity to one of the most mediocre jobs in the Championship. It’s insulting and damaging to the club. I’m very pleased with the tone of our statement, it’s good to see the powers that be calling him out for being so duplicitous.

We need to really get behind the boys at Leyton now. A big boost is needed. The Pompey postponement is now looking like a real blessing - two full weeks to bring someone in and let them get settled. Let’s just hope the process doesn’t take as long as last time. We need to pick up where we left off asap.

He signed the deal, so must have been happy with it, and at the time, his stock was low after navigating MK Dons to the verge of relegation, we'd have all been rightly pissed off if he had been given a 3 year deal only to relegate us. If he'd have asked for an improved deal, I am sure he would have gotten it.

I would have expected that someone that talks about integrity, professionalism and building something might stick around for longer than 5 minutes to finish the job he had started.

“Out of adversity comes opportunity.”

Benjamin Franklin

This should be our mindset.

Manning did okay in that he definitely accumulated a good squad WITH the support and monies of the owners

He talked well and potentially was perceived to be a good coach.

In a very weak League 1 can we honestly say Oxford playing style and methods are either exciting or proven.

Back 5 or back 4?
Brown or Leigh at left back?
Bodin as a wide man, centre mid or up front ?
O Donker actually given game time?
Perkins ?

I could go on, so to me lots of questions on his ability as a manager still to have been asked

My concern is the getting in the right replacement.

Lots of journeymen already being quoted.

Let's hope they get it right as the club is really in a great place at the moment

Manning who, we can nearly airbrush his tenure

Keep the faith

Last edited:
I for one will be at Southampton cheering Liam on. Who’s with me?

Let’s remember the good times we had together. It’s what he deserves.

😐

Couldn't give a cr*p what he does at Bristol. We need to move on, get the right person, preferably before the Chelts game, and full steam ahead. Look at it as another exciting chapter in the life of an OUFC supporter, the candidates to take the club forward are out there..............

I wouldn’t call Hogg a snake, I think bottle merchant is the correct term. Job was there for him if he just had the nerve to stop holding Mannings hand and he couldn’t get the courage up to leave him, imagine having to go through the rest of your life knowing you bottled it.
A bottler is as bad as a snake..

John Eustace
Nathan Jones
Dean Smith
Gary Rowett

Any of them I’d have here. One thing is for sure, the type of candidates will be far better than what we had last time around.

You're guessing what was in his contract, and I really don't agree with you regardless, the board gave Liam huge resources and control over the clubs football activities.
They may have done and now they’ve shafted us so goodbye hope you fail now f**k off. Am I oissed off you’re damned right I am if as has been mentioned there was a buy out clause, why ffs

NIL DESPERANDUM.

Such is the absurdity of supporting a football team.

We move on and that’s the nature of the modern game. Manning did a great job in the time he was with us and I’m grateful for that.* And I think the board have a clear understanding now what we need and how effective that can be if we get it right. Truth be told, a little of the gloss had already started to come off for me. Only a bit. But some of the pedestrian play, some of the clumsy language in his interviews and some of the decisions ‘in game’ had started to set off a few little alarm bells. Only little ones. But alarm bells nevertheless. So see you later Liam, and let’s see who comes in next to unreasonably inflate our expectations before something else happens to deflate them again.

* Obviously I hope that he fucks up at Bristol City, gets sacked and gets syphilis on his top lip at the same time.
Maybe that's it... on a good roll of results, 2nd in the division, popping-up on team's radars... just saw the chance and took it. Possibly at the right time as teams were finding us out a bit. A turn of luck and we're dropping down the table...

There's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip.

Back
Top Bottom