Ex-Staff Liam Manning

We have been in the top flight. I could pick your club apart, but I won’t.

My word the bitterness.
It's not bitterness, it is what it is. City for all their size, money and promise have achieved less than Burton Albion and Southend United. You can pick our club apart if you wish - I think we know who we are and what we've been through so you don't really need to recite but none of that changes the fact of Bristol City are one of the most stagnant clubs in football just like Preston North End. I've heard a lot worse about City from City's own supporters.

Probably wouldn’t have changed anything but there is nothing stopping us from protecting our asset more robustly from the outset. We are business at the end of the day.
Agreed but at the same time I can understand them showing a little caution.

Probably wouldn’t have changed anything but there is nothing stopping us from protecting our asset more robustly from the outset. We are business at the end of the day.
Would you dish out new contracts to employees every time they show 3 months worth of good work? Because that is ultimately all we had seen so far from him, nothing from our performances last season while he was here warranted a new contract, even if he did save us from relegation.

Beyond happy clappy to think Bristol City are anywhere near enough of a big club for me to happily wish him on his way. Hasn't even earnt his move, achieved square root of f*ck all in his career so far.

Could have achieved something, f*cked it off half way through for money. Left the club and players high and dry.

1699375248256.png

You're talking like a fan, rather than an employee. At the end of the day, LM was an employee.

Take the emotion out of it and there are very few factors to this deal that don't make sense from LM's perspective.
See I think this is what’s so annoying, because I don’t think it does.

Bristol City are neither realistic promotion contenders or ‘sleeping giants’ who have the capacity for realistic promotion ambitions. He is unlikely to achieve anything tangible with them. Managers live and die by the tangible success on their CV, and he won’t get a better chance at promotion from League One at a club where the expectations aren’t enormous (see your Sunderlands and your Wednesdays) than he had this year with us. He then has that on his CV to back him for any job going forward, which would immediately make him attractive to any League One and Championship club for at least a few years when he moved on from here. That seems, to me, much more valuable than perhaps scraping into the playoffs with Bristol City. Which is what he will need to do to be considered a success - given their current position, their fans and board will only accept playoffs at the end of the season, which is a massive ask (compared to if they were struggling and you were asked just to avoid relegation).

What long term benefit does he get from this? In the incredibly likely event that he does not get them promoted, the best case scenario is basically that he’s Lee Johnson a few years removed - nothing on his CV really apart from some good spells with Bristol City. And he’s now back at this level at basketcase Fleetwood after disastrous spells at Sunderland and Hibs.

I don’t deny that Bristol City are a bigger club than us and if this had happened in the summer I’d get it - they’re probably a more appealing option than us in that context. But given what he’s left to what he’s going to, at this stage of the season, I think it’s incredibly short-sighted.

But people did slate us for doing that with Robinson.

We could have offered a hefty improvement in terms once Manning made his intentions clear, and I’d be very surprised if we didn’t.

Whilst we should be a very decent proposal for someone, it’s really important that we get someone in who will work well with what we’ve got. If we go for someone with a dramatically different style of play we are effectively giving up on the year. Manning did a great job to turn us around this quickly, one of his main strengths was the clarity of purpose he brought to the team and that’s now a big weakness - we are his team set up for his football.

We’d better be making sure the remaining back room staff are happy as can be, plus talking to Brentford, Brighton, Ipswich, Leeds and Everton about our plans for that continuity today, if we haven’t already. Whilst shoring up the target list if any of them are recalled.

Manning was good but not perfect. If a new manager keeps his commitment to high pressure, fast wingers, technical midfielders and composed defence and combines it with actually playing our best formation that works every bloody time we can still do this.

Do you dish out new contracts to employees every time they show 3 months worth of good work? Because that is ultimately all we have seen so far from him, nothing from our performances last season while he was here warranted a new contract, even if he did save us from relegation.
I certainly don't believe Liam warranted a long term contract. If we were still in the same position come Christmas then I think a contract extension would've been offered but he was still very much an unproven manager with a fortunate amount of resources at his disposal. You would expect him to return the favour by earning a further contract rather than jumping ship at the first opportunity. He's a very lucky man because this time last year he was getting his butt annihilated at the bottom of League One having blown one of the biggest budgets the league has seen.

Nope. But some of the comments bashing City is frankly laughable.
And coming onto another teams forum expecting anything but hostility the day you took our manager isn't laughable?

Some people hope he fails, and by extension that means so do Bristol City, not the other way around.

He turned down Championship offers to stay at MK according to their fans, he was then sacked a few months later. The length of contract and money increase will also be a huge factor but he has obviously made this decision based on his past experiences in football.

Although I could totally understand his reasoning and said I wouldn't be bitter, I've felt bitter about it since the official announcement. So for absolutely no logical reason, f*ck you Liam.

Glad I'm not then only one who feels like this.

Logically and intellectually I totally get his decision, and yet....

f**k you Liam l, I hope you fail.

We have been in the top flight. I could pick your club apart, but I won’t.

My word the bitterness.
Never know you lot could be relegated yet, Manning hasn’t proved anything yet, yes we maybe 2nd but at this stage know one knows what the next 6.5 months will bring.

With respect, the board also only gave him a 1 year rolling contract. By definition, as a result LM only ever had limited security within his contract with OUFC.

If he was offered a 3.5 year deal, in a league higher with a bigger salary, but your existing employers only had enough faith to effectively give you a 12 month rolling contract from the outset - what would you do?

We can all be as emotional as we like but whether we like it or not, Grant and Tim did not protect the football club robustly enough with LM's contract. People won't like it, but that is the way of it and that is a contributing factor of why we are where we are. Hopefully lessons are learnt this time around.

FWIW, i don't think the situation is insurmountable. We are a very attractive job and i expect us to conduct a robust recruitment process and appoint a really exciting manager. One name that hasn't been mentioned but was to me by a friend just now - How about Ryan Mason? Young coach at Spurs who has acted as caretaker their already and is well thought of. It's not the worst shout i've heard.
I am not sure that is an apples for apples comparison.
Somebody on here explained how a 3.5 year contract often has a far lower severance pay part if it. So if the manager is sacked they get nowhere near 3.5 years paid up.
So who knows which contract gave him more protection?

Think you are missing the point about loyalty. United's board gave him a lifeline to restart his career after MK rightfully sacked him. I would expect Liam would of been more loyal to the board as they employed him for a project not just this season but beyond. This club isn't trigger happy like we all know from the KR ongoings last season, the club gave him every opportunity to sort it out.

Fans question a manager when results and performances aren't going the right way, that will certainly be ramped up at Bristol city who demand much more.
He shouldve said thanks Bristol city but i cant take the job as im only just in the door in the Oxford job.

Back
Top Bottom