Manager/Coach KREXIT: The 'Robbo Out' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who says you can't play nice football but also win things? It's more than possible in League One, Karl and his teams can play fantastic football, but you need to 1. be consistent and 2. be able to win ugly.

When we don't play nice football, we quite often get found out. I want a manager that is tactically aware of which approach is right at which times, not just someone that throws 6 half fit wingers on in the hope one of them might sprinkle some magic

Getting rid of Robinson does not mean we turn up the following week going route one

Yes, exactly this. It's entirely possible to win stuff whilst playing nice football - just look at us under Appleton. I'm not sure why it's developed into a 'win whilst playing crap football or fall short playing nice football' argument when it's never black or white like that. Under Appleton, we had the players like Hylton, Maguire etc who were happy to shithouse all day long, warriors like Dunkley and Nelson who would stick their head on anything if it meant winning the ball and then the likes of Skarz and MacDonald who were constant 100% effort, do the basics right professionalism.

We've all said on here that what we've badly missed under Robinson is an alternative way of playing. A big bastard up top, some grit in the midfield etc. Nobody is saying we want it to watch some s**t like Wimbledon in the 90s. The reason that side Appleton built was so good was because there were so many ways of scoring and if the opposition focused on shutting down one outlet like Roofe cutting in, they would then be unable to keeps tabs on Sercombe arriving late in the box, or Hylton running wherever he fancied.

If we ended up putting on ' entertainment 'like Wycombe do I for one would hand in my season tkt as want to be successful and play football as we always have in the past.

If we ended up putting on ' entertainment 'like Wycombe do I for one would hand in my season tkt as want to be successful and play football as we always have in the past.
I would take watching any type of football if it meant getting out of this s**t league

It's about building a squad that can do both. I'm sure Rotherham, Wigan and this seasons Wednesday have all played great football but they can all play direct physical "get the job done whatever it takes" football as well. That's the simple difference between a KR Oxford United side and those that finish in the top 2.

KR builds his sides to play nice football, but often crumble when offered a physical battle like the Blackpool and Wycombe playoffs. Yet despite him spotting this at the time and addressing it in his post match interview, he didn't make the transfers to fix it and make us compete.

Wycombe's brand of football is a level beyond, it's basic anti-football which is not just direct "hoof it long" but waste as much time as possible, interrupt the game as much as possible, play as little actual football as possible and disrupt the in-play match to a point it's barely worth watching. They probably get an hour of in-play football at best. It means they concede far less and nab more points than they would be able to otherwise, but I wouldn't bother turning up if we resorted to that kind of desperation each week.

It always amuses me to see this exact message or sentiment expressed time after time on various different club forums. Since Ainsworth took over, we've been one of the most consistently over-achieving teams in the EFL.

You might turn your nose up at our style of play, but it is still hugely entertaining as a fan. Do you think we didn't enjoy the robust wins over you lot in January and October last year? High intensity pressing, tackles and blocks flying in all over, and tricky skilful forwards to attack the defence when the ball gets to them in the final third. Admittedly, the method of getting the ball to the final third often isn't pretty, but we've have been great to watch over the last decade, barring the occasional slump in form
That’s why you get such huge crowds! You play hoof ball feign injuries and time waste.if you like that,that’s your problem,not sure why you are trying to convince fans from another club.

The flip side to what everyone’s saying (boring football is maybe only ok IF we’re winning, but exciting football is suitable even when we’re mid table) - Yes I’d actually agree with that, but… is the football we’re playing really that exciting?

In our last 5 games we’ve only scored 4 goals. All season we’ve scored on average 1.2 goals a game.

If our last 5 results had been instead:

OUFC 4-5 Exeter
OUFC 6-2 Charlton
Ipswich 6-3 OUFC
Sheffield Weds 3-3 OUFC
Accrington 4-4 OUFC

(eg same amount of points but 20 goals scored) Then I’d totally get people saying ‘look we are mid table but we bomb forwards, we score goals, yes we’re wide open at the back but how fun are games!’ That I’d totally agree with. But it’s not accurate. We usually seem to score 0, 1 or 2 goals.

I’d like to see us go for broke more, bomb forwards more and sign a new striker who can score goals.
That’s one of the problems this season though and why more people want Robinson out.in his other seasons we have played good football and scored lots of goals.

I would take watching any type of football if it meant getting out of this s**t league
It’s not really a s**t league though.it’s our level with the money currently in the game,back in the 90s with less money around we all would’ve been thinking we were championship level.With the expectations now higher with the people in charge we have to move upwards but that takes a lot more money now.

League One is nowhere near s**t, some of the football played at this level is brilliant, the Championship is better of course, and we all want to get there, but if I had to settle with challenging in League One season after season, I could think of worse things

League One is nowhere near s**t, some of the football played at this level is brilliant, the Championship is better of course, and we all want to get there, but if I had to settle with challenging in League One season after season, I could think of worse things
Yes I agree, the standard in league one is excellent, I don't remember the second tier being better last time we were in it. We want to get promotion in order to progress, not because there's anything wrong with our current level.

It always amuses me to know that Wycombe fans are searching wide and far on other forums to see if anyone ever actually cares enough to vaguely mention them
I live in Oxford and probably know more Oxford fans than any other team. Naturally I'm also interested to see what you're all saying about KR and your prospects for this season, given that you've been close competitors to us for most of the last few years. Given the above, I don't think it's particularly strange that I'd be looking at an Oxford forum

And clearly you do care about us to some extent, because Wycombe and Ainsworth seem to come up in quite a few threads on here

I live in Oxford and probably know more Oxford fans than any other team. Naturally I'm also interested to see what you're all saying about KR and your prospects for this season, given that you've been close competitors to us for most of the last few years. Given the above, I don't think it's particularly strange that I'd be looking at an Oxford forum

And clearly you do care about us to some extent, because Wycombe and Ainsworth seem to come up in quite a few threads on here
To be honest I think many of us are genuinely impressed that a non-league club has been able to compete in, and even get promoted from, this league. Lessons to be learned.

It always amuses me to see this exact message or sentiment expressed time after time on various different club forums. Since Ainsworth took over, we've been one of the most consistently over-achieving teams in the EFL.

You might turn your nose up at our style of play, but it is still hugely entertaining as a fan. Do you think we didn't enjoy the robust wins over you lot in January and October last year? High intensity pressing, tackles and blocks flying in all over, and tricky skilful forwards to attack the defence when the ball gets to them in the final third. Admittedly, the method of getting the ball to the final third often isn't pretty, but we've have been great to watch over the last decade, barring the occasional slump in form
I'll tell you the thing that annoys me more than your style of play. The "plucky" label that is an absolute myth. As if we are meant to believe that Wheeler, Akinfenwa, Vokes, Stockdale etc are paying for Tuppence H'apenny.

Ainsworth has done well with his unique style but let's not pretend it's some "us against the world" fairytale eh. You've spent a bomb!

It will be very telling how much money our owners are willing to risk in this transfer window. I reckon that, more than anything else, will give us an indication as to Karl’s future with the club.
…but I would not want them shelling out £300k plus for Erhahon as the St Mirren midfielder is OOC in June. It’s too much money.

…but I would not want them shelling out £300k plus for Erhahon as the St Mirren midfielder is OOC in June. It’s too much money.

That depends on how good he turns out to be surely? I mean the £400k we spent on Jamie Hanson was £400K to much but as frightening as that was in professional football you can't let it put you off spending transfer fees forever, only signing free transfers takes you only so far.

No guarantee of getting him in the summer, it might be seen as a good punt at getting ahead of the queue.

To be honest I think many of us are genuinely impressed that a non-league club has been able to compete in, and even get promoted from, this league. Lessons to be learned.
Last year playing non-league football:

Wycombe - 1993
Oxford - 2010

I think many of us were genuinely impressed that a non-league club managed to be just one game away from the Championship (the evening of 13th July 2020) in merely a decade tbh

If he’d otherwise be £750k-£1m with 2 years more on his contract then it doesn’t seem like bad value. He’s a young boy with a lot of hype so I’m sure there’s something in that. I wouldn’t think too much of what we spend - it isn’t our money. What’s important is what they spend it on, what that gives us to watch and what it does for our chances to win games.

We’re seemingly up against the team bottom of our league and a team who is now managerless, thus unable to accurately say where or how often he will play in their team. Feels like one we should get done and it’s more of the same concerns if we don’t, with a common denominator still the obvious issue.

Sadly, unless a huge return on investment was highly anticipated, then shelling out £300K on a lad who has six months of his contract to run, sounds very much, Oxford United.

The reasons I want him out are as follows.
I only get to a handful of games each year and I didn’t bother going on New Year’s Day because it wasn’t going to be great football, we would concede, and we would loose. I don’t see us scoring generally and I’m a bit meh about going up at the moment. I did have a cold which was the final nail in my “sod it I can’t be bothered” decision.

I am what most would call plastic because of family circumstances, and the minority when the footy is good that takes the club attendance up by about 500 to 1000 per game.

Last season I went up 6 or 7 times, and this season it’s been once.

We need a structure of management that doesn’t hinge on one man’s whims. The only affordable way to get up is with a football focused team led by a director, and a structured process for bringing in and and developing players that doesn’t involve handshakes with Robbie Fowler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom