Manager/Coach KREXIT: The 'Robbo Out' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Therefore, don't you think its time for a change completely? Sorry, work under proper conditions is what I don't fully understand.
I’ll be honest I’m not close enough to the situation to give any kind of diagnosis. I rely heavily on information here and that is skewed by those who really know something and those who try, but don’t. It’s also skewed by who is brave enough to post what they know and those who prefer to keep back what they know and/or protect sources etc etc.

But here’s my opinion… My take on it is that we need a fresh start. I didn’t feel this way 6 months ago as I still felt KR had the right idea and the dressing room behind him and with some money behind him I thought maybe he would puff up the back room team and fill up the squad properly. I can’t confirm beyond doubt he’s lost the dressing room but I look at the players on match day and I see a team bereft of confidence in what they’re doing bar McGuane and Brannagan who are far too good for this level and they know it.

The players look like they need someone to remind them how capable they are rather than be endlessly dismissed as sub-par to the media and that they only need to keep at it until the better players come back from injury and take their place(!!!). Not to mention taking no accountability himself for the situation as he can only do so much with what he has… Or should we remind him every one of these players he chose. So is he openly admitting he brought in players not good enough to compete? This is skin-crawling management.

Lastly, the transfer policy needs a fresh approach. Why haven’t we signed more ‘normal’ players? Why does it need to be an ex player who knows Karl’s isms already or someone so far flung that they have no idea who he is? Seems anything in between is unobtainable for us. Example, why have we struggled so badly to get a deal done for Nicky Cadden over 2 seasons + only for him to end up at a pretty comparable L1 club? I could have a decent guess. Why give multi-year contracts to ageing players whose contributions we could very easily replace? I’d argue it’s because he’s struggling to persuade anyone new to join and he’s latching on to what he has in order to dilute the problem and leave himself less exposed. Where have you ever heard a manager with a top-end budget struggle to even fill the squad quota?

This is all theory. No inside knowledge to back it up. But yes, I think we need a fresh start because above all this is the first time I’ve looked at us on match day under KR and felt we look beaten before we kick off.

Last edited:
Ciaron Brown is the one for me , a good, solid no nonsense centre back. Could play as a dependable left back with a winger in front but as a wing back ....all we need is Gary Briggs in the right wing back position .
Agree entirely. Brown and Mous have undoubtedly been the best defensive players this year, yet many wouldn't have them in our best XI which says a lot.

If we were to go four at the back, then I can't see beyond Long - Moore - Findlay - Brown (possibly with Anderson instead of Long if he gets fit and Mous as the cover in case of injury and Golding the youth prospect). What is more important is the interaction with the man in front of them, this is absolutely critical. Any good team at this level has a sense of understanding what everyone else around you is doing, and this is just not there this year.

I would have thought given the feeling among some on here that Rotherham would be a great fit.

Stop them being a Yo Yo Club for starters wouldn't it...well wouldn't it !!!!!

Be careful what you wish for

I’ll be honest I’m not close enough to the situation to give any kind of diagnosis. I rely heavily on information here and that is skewed by those who really know something and those who try, but don’t. It’s also skewed by who is brave enough to post what they know and those who prefer to keep back what they know and/or protect sources etc etc.

But here’s my opinion… My take on it is that we need a fresh start. I didn’t feel this way 6 months ago as I still felt KR had the right idea and the dressing room behind him and with some money behind him I thought maybe he would puff up the back room team and fill up the squad properly. I can’t confirm beyond doubt he’s lost the dressing room but I look at the players on match day and I see a team bereft of confidence in what they’re doing bar McGuane and Brannagan who are far too good for this level and they know it.

The players look like they need someone to remind them how capable they are rather than be endlessly dismissed as sub-par to the media and that they only need to keep at it until the better players come back from injury and take their place(!!!). Not to mention taking no accountability himself for the situation as he can only do so much with what he has… Or should we remind him every one of these players he chose. So is he openly admitting he brought in players not good enough to compete? This is skin-crawling management.

Lastly, the transfer policy needs a fresh approach. Why haven’t we signed more ‘normal’ players? Why does it need to be an ex player who knows Karl’s isms already or someone so far flung that they have no idea who he is? Seems anything in between is unobtainable for us. Example, why have we struggled so badly to get a deal done for Nicky Cadden over 2 seasons + only for him to end up at a pretty comparable L1 club? I could have a decent guess. Why give multi-year contracts to ageing players whose contributions we could very easily replace? I’d argue it’s because he’s struggling to persuade anyone new to join and he’s latching on to what he has in order to dilute the problem and leave himself less exposed. Where have you ever heard a manager with a top-end budget struggle to even fill the squad quota?

This is all theory. No inside knowledge to back it up. But yes, I think we need a fresh start because above all this is the first time I’ve looked at us on match day under KR and felt we look beaten before we kick off.
A very good summation thank you.

Agree entirely. Brown and Mous have undoubtedly been the best defensive players this year, yet many wouldn't have them in our best XI which says a lot.

If we were to go four at the back, then I can't see beyond Long - Moore - Findlay - Brown (possibly with Anderson instead of Long if he gets fit and Mous as the cover in case of injury and Golding the youth prospect). What is more important is the interaction with the man in front of them, this is absolutely critical. Any good team at this level has a sense of understanding what everyone else around you is doing, and this is just not there this year.

And that defence is still 75% the same as last year and we didn’t make the playoffs then. Why would it be any different now? If anything Findlay is a downgrade on McNally.

It’s the lack of priority that gets me with KR and the defence. He was so lucky that Ruffels could cover LB for as long as he did. The options at LB and RB have been limited since then with scarcely a secondary option to be seen.

Here’s hoping Rotherham take him off our hands.

OM: ‘Robinson Distances Himself From Rotherham Rumours’

…About an hour before they announce Warburton. Or anyone from a multitude of other candidates way ahead of KR…

But hey, all helps with his PR
Pretty sure Oxford mail ask him the question rather than Robinson shouting from the street corner he’s not interested in a job.

There are many good points you make here and one that hasn't had much said about it is the squad size.

I was totting up the other day and I make it that we only have 19 from a possible 22 registered in the squad. Given that we have a big budget then it's inexcusable we haven't filled the squad up to the maximum quota. If you're a manager of anything then you want resource to do your job, and we're down 14% on what we could have in terms of senior professionals. Then when you consider that KR doesn't seem to want to play Jones or Smyth, possibly even Gorrin too, and we're down to 16. Then of those 16, we played Murphy when he was a bit injured and knew that Baldock would be injured a lot. So that's us down to 14. In terms of recent matches then Anderson is another actually, as he was never going to be match fit, and so now we're at 13.

I can get the argument that Wildschut's injury was 'unlucky', and maybe Taylor and Moore's injuries are 'unlucky' too, but of course it's not 'unlucky' as every team gets injuries and that's the thing that gets me. To an extent you make your own luck. If you recruit a full, balanced and robust squad then I daresay you'll find yourself more 'lucky' for injuries and formation options than you will if you don't fill all the squad places available to you, or if you fill it with injured/injury prone players or players that you don't fancy playing then of course you're going to struggle further.

And I agree entirely about how KR is saying the wrong things by constantly talking about who he has out. For his own sake, he needs to be getting the absolute maximum out of the 13 or so senior professionals he has at the moment. What we really need is a manager to come in, take ownership of the situation we're in, breathe some life and confidence in what he's got and follow it up with a targeted approach in January.

I see now Rotherham has a vacancy, Karl Robinson is rated third favourite at 10-1. Wouldn’t be surprised if he goes there considering they are championship if only for a season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom