Manager/Coach KREXIT: The 'Robbo Out' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we are.

Rotherham United have an exceptional stadium in a great location (for Rotherham) with excellent transport links. They are yo-yo-ing between The Championship and League One - and yet just about scrape 5 figure crowds. This is no disrespect to them. They have a very limited catchment (indeed Rotherham itself has plenty of Wednesday fans) and they are at just about the pinnacle of what they could be expected to achieve as a club.

We, on the other hand, have had no Tier 2 football for the best part of a quarter of a century. If we were in Rotherham's position I would wager we'd be looking at 12-14k in the promotion years and 15k in The Championship.

A better comparison is Reading. By the end of this season they'll have gone 20 (TWENTY) years in the top 2 divisions unbroken. This is a club that had previously spent little time above the third tier in their history.
Whilst they may be ridiculed for their poor away support, no-one in the wider football world considers Reading to now be above their station.

Absolutely no reason why we can't do something similar ourselves.
I think we’re not bigger than Rotherham, but as you say could be. We have a bigger catchment in a more prosperous area than them, but despite the Milk Cup don’t have a big well known history. All to play for!

Yes we are.

Rotherham United have an exceptional stadium in a great location (for Rotherham) with excellent transport links. They are yo-yo-ing between The Championship and League One - and yet just about scrape 5 figure crowds. This is no disrespect to them. They have a very limited catchment (indeed Rotherham itself has plenty of Wednesday fans) and they are at just about the pinnacle of what they could be expected to achieve as a club.

We, on the other hand, have had no Tier 2 football for the best part of a quarter of a century. If we were in Rotherham's position I would wager we'd be looking at 12-14k in the promotion years and 15k in The Championship.

A better comparison is Reading. By the end of this season they'll have gone 20 (TWENTY) years in the top 2 divisions unbroken. This is a club that had previously spent little time above the third tier in their history.
Whilst they may be ridiculed for their poor away support, no-one in the wider football world considers Reading to now be above their station.

Oh ffs

Yeah, because they were brilliantly managed for years. Gradi developed the 'build 'em up through the academy and sell 'em on model' and did it better than anyone else at the time, while Bassett and Kinnear managed to tap into the 'everybody hates us' mentality and built a club with a pretty unique team spirit.

Great managers (on and off the pitch) get clubs with small crowds and low revenues punching above their weight. Poor managers get clubs with big crowds and revenues to match relegated and/or struggle in leagues despite having more money than their peers.

Which is why - getting back to my original point - getting Bradford into the League Two playoff places is not exactly anything to write home about when I don't think there's anyone in that division that has greater resources then they do this year. It's not a disaster either.....it's just at best par for the course.
IF it was par for the course with their budget, why hasn't it happened for many years with umpteen different managers? I'm no advocate of Mark Hughes, but if he takes them up he'll be the first manager to do so, so must have something about him.

Karl isn't going anywhere and Chris Wilder is not coming here.

Elliot Moore back in defence has been a big positive and Matty can have a good run out tomorrow against the Chelsea kids.

Looking forward to Saturday which is the real test.
....And you know robinson is going nowhere from inside information? or just wishful thinking?

Assuming you are quite happy with Robinsons record over 4 years?

....And you know robinson is going nowhere from inside information? or just wishful thinking?

Assuming you are quite happy with Robinsons record over 4 years?
I am happy with Robinsons record and style of play over the 4 years.

IF it was par for the course with their budget, why hasn't it happened for many years with umpteen different managers? I'm no advocate of Mark Hughes, but if he takes them up he'll be the first manager to do so, so must have something about him.
I mean it's three years and four managers - they were only relegated in 2019; it's not exactly a century-long curse.

As a club that hired David Kemp, Mark Wright, Graham Rix, Brian Talbot and Darren Patterson in the space of just seven years, we all know that you can hire a bunch of clunkers in a short space of time!

But agree with your last sentence - if he takes them up, he'll have proven he's got something to offer in the lower leagues......if......

Called “revert to the mean”.
Pretty much how Oxford United in division one was an exception, also in the Conference. We are somewhere between the two. Quite where is another question. I’d love to see us in the Championship. But like Rotherham how long would we last ?
For years we were bottom second tier/top third tier club
Last few seasons have been where we should be, next few seasons we should be in the second tier.
However with the new wealthy owners which we’ve never really had before we should be top / middle second tier club
Basically doing what Reading did with wealthy owners

Yes we are.

Hadn’t read this before I just posted but I totally agree

Incompetence, I suspect.
If you have a huge budget you need someone who will spend it wisely.
There are managers with an extremely low budget who get the right mix of players in and can get into the playoffs because the automatics maybe a step too far. Trouble is with us now other teams know we have wealthy owners and that can be a disadvantage.
To take it to extreme measures every team knows MUFC are desperate for success so they pay over the price for average players.
Accrington Stanley on the other hand don’t have much of a budget for this league but have a manager and board that spend what money they have wisely and putting together a balanced squad.
In the past we seem to have done very well getting the likes of Whyte Sykes Atkinson Dickie Moore McNally Williams plus some good loan deals. This year however we seem to have throw n money at the problem in one example offering £750000 for a striker who doesn’t get into Plymouths starting X1.
So what we all want to know is what’s gone wrong especially in the last two/three transfer windows.

A fall? These teams are in the championship though.
The reverse is also true, money is no guarantee of success....Sunderland, Ipswich, Sheffield Wed, when Man City tumbled to the third division.

"for a sustainable period," how long is a sustainable period. Crewe and Wimbledon seemed to manage long enough.
Wigan - decent period in the PL, even won the FA Cup, but eventually regressed and fell into L1, now bouncing back into the Championship, approx where they should be with 12-15k av attendances. Promotion out of L1 in-part thanks to new Bahrain owners who could get them punching above weight.

Blackpool - 1 season in the PL then six years later were in L2. An example of a team both over and underachieving but ending up back around their level as a club between 2nd and 3rd tier.

Huddersfield - 2 seasons in PL, now odds-on for relegation into L1.

Man City, before they became the richest club in the world, spent 1 season in L1 before back-to-back promotions.

Sunderland's promotion was inevitable. Sheff Wed and Ipswich will soon follow, as Wigan did before.

Bradford's return to L1 falls into the same category. Clubs can spend a % of their revenue, and most of that comes from footfall. Under-performing your budget will eventually lead to being the big fish in small pod, where you can outspend your rivals. Over-performance leads to promotions to a level where you can't compete with those around you. Mis-management can blow this advantage, good management can overcome it in the short term, but without a total change of infastructure it's (Man City) it's pretty difficult to change this.

The good new for us is, with our new owners and the new stadium on the horizon as well as a large catchment area and Wembley visits that show the potential of the club, I see no reason why Oxford United can't be one of those teams to bridge that gap. The club could look very different in the Championship with a shiny new accessible stadium, increased attendances and with the revenue going back to the club.

The irony that this sits on this threads is that, until this season, KR has made Oxford one of the most interesting teams to watch. Loads of goals, loads of technically gifted players, fair bit of needle with other clubs. It's been pretty box office, even if we have fallen short.

If we were to get someone like Leam Richardson (totally unattainable), for eg, who is having massive success with Wigan, I can't see the attendances going up as we would want/need. The football is effective but turgid. This doesn't help get new bums on new seats.

Come on, we were miles from competing in either of those play offs.
"That isn’t someone who is incapable of winning a promotion." Of course it could be, just because you keep getting into the play offs doesn't mean you are guaranteed to win eventually.
By the same scenario, if you keep throwing mud at a wall some will eventually stick. You need to consider the managers and their approach against us, Blackpool and Wycombe. They read robinson like a book, as do most teams that play us. A one dimensional manager, who, after playing against a team once will get found out the next time we play them.
by the same scenario though, you cannot say he or anyone else for that matter will never get us promoted.

Derby have just employed a man with a cv that includes promotions but also virtual instant relegation, If he get's them up should they instantly dismiss him---keep him on because he will have a history of promotion and then just keep repeating each season?
If you have a huge budget you need someone who will spend it wisely.
There are managers with an extremely low budget who get the right mix of players in and can get into the playoffs because the automatics maybe a step too far. Trouble is with us now other teams know we have wealthy owners and that can be a disadvantage.
To take it to extreme measures every team knows MUFC are desperate for success so they pay over the price for average players.
Accrington Stanley on the other hand don’t have much of a budget for this league but have a manager and board that spend what money they have wisely and putting together a balanced squad.
In the past we seem to have done very well getting the likes of Whyte Sykes Atkinson Dickie Moore McNally Williams plus some good loan deals. This year however we seem to have throw n money at the problem in one example offering £750000 for a striker who doesn’t get into Plymouths starting X1.
So what we all want to know is what’s gone wrong especially in the last two/three transfer windows.
We can bounce thoughts and opinions back and forth but i mentiond before, that whilst we have a Bigger Budget we are still pretty much in the same pool of players.

Let's not forget that like us, the. players are facing the same increase pro rata for their bills etc so would likely be asking a tad more than previously.

You still can't net that much Bigger fish

No promotions, nothing to show for it. You are holding the club back. I simply hope the board don't read your posts, supporting a man who is holding the club back when we have the opportunity to go onto the next level with the right manager.
Apart from Appleton the football has been the best for at least 20 years. Perhaps the club misjudged the quality of player we could attract due to the 3 sided stadium we have. Our level is arguably upper region of Div1 until we have a more desirable Stadium. All things being equal perhaps players put 5-6 clubs above us, unless you offer silly wages.

For years we were bottom second tier/top third tier club
Last few seasons have been where we should be, next few seasons we should be in the second tier.
However with the new wealthy owners which we’ve never really had before we should be top / middle second tier club
Basically doing what Reading did with wealthy owners
I agree but possibly our 3 sided stadium at the moment hold us back from attracting the players we need.

by the same scenario though, you cannot say he or anyone else for that matter will never get us promoted.

Derby have just employed a man with a cv that includes promotions but also virtual instant relegation, If he get's them up should they instantly dismiss him---keep him on because he will have a history of promotion and then just keep repeating each season?

We can bounce thoughts and opinions back and forth but i mentiond before, that whilst we have a Bigger Budget we are still pretty much in the same pool of players.

Let's not forget that like us, the. players are facing the same increase pro rata for their bills etc so would likely be asking a tad more than previously.

You still can't net that much Bigger fish
Agree we have hit our level with the ability to attract players, a 3 sided stadium is not an attractive venue. Unless we offer silly wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom