Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Des been given the tools needed to succeed to the level expected of him? It’s a pretty resounding ‘no’ in my eyes. I’m not sure he’s a great fit or a particularly good manager, but he’s been set up to fail with a chronic lack of strategy and planning above him.

The same lack of strategy or planning above didn't stop Manning, he came in and brought an assistant, analysis and GK coach with him. He then worked with Ed Waldron in bringing some decent players in.

Has Des been given the tools needed to succeed to the level expected of him? It’s a pretty resounding ‘no’ in my eyes. I’m not sure he’s a great fit or a particularly good manager, but he’s been set up to fail with a chronic lack of strategy and planning above him.
Theres a lot of rumours , unsubstantiated thus far, that TW has knocked DB back several times when he's asked for £ for players

Add to that the lack of backroom team for DB , add the two together, and its no wonder TW & GF are being slated

How about a DoF incoming? unlikely though it is... I think that could be a good move. Not that this customers opinions carry any weight

Fans Forum well overdue

What tools does he need? He has a squad of players capable of getting results at this level - anything else is a bonus.

Buckingham is being treated with kid gloves. He was deemed to be the best candidate, presumably based on what he could deliver short-term as much as long-term.

Would it have been acceptable for John Eustace to get 14 points from 12 games? Would it have been acceptable for Luke Williams to have given himself no forward option off the bench except GO'D by late January? Would the lack of an Assistant be the fault of those above any other manager, or would there have been an expectancy that the manager himself would have the clout to make that happen?

This isn't work experience.

The same lack of strategy or planning above didn't stop Manning, he came in and brought an assistant, analysis and GK coach with him. He then worked with Ed Waldron in bringing some decent players in.
You’ve raised an interesting point. The way the club is set up, with a complete lack of any sort of real presence at boardroom level requires the head coach to oversee the whole of the playing side of the club. For all of KR’s failings he did, for a long time before his self implosion, thrive on that responsibility. Manning was very organised, had a strong plan and a trusted team to help him implement it, so he too succeeded in the set-up. Poor old Des has ambled in on his own and doesn’t seem to have a very strong or forceful personality. He’s had to win everyone over as he was an unknown quantity to everyone else at the club who had already formed strong bonds amongst each other. He was immediately the ‘outsider’ and seems to lack the assertive, authoritative personality to win everyone over. He hasn’t had any help from above and, because of that, seems out of his depth.

Would it have been acceptable for John Eustace to get 14 points from 12 games? Would it have been acceptable for Luke Williams to have given himself no forward option off the bench except GO'D by late January? Would the lack of an Assistant be the fault of those above any other manager, or would there have been an expectancy that the manager himself would have the clout to make that happen?
Who’s saying it’s acceptable?

You’ve raised an interesting point. The way the club is set up, with a complete lack of any sort of real presence at boardroom level requires the head coach to oversee the whole of the playing side of the club. For all of KR’s failings he did, for a long time before his self implosion, thrive on that responsibility. Manning was very organised, had a strong plan and a trusted team to help him implement it, so he too succeeded in the set-up. Poor old Des has ambled in on his own and doesn’t seem to have a very strong or forceful personality. He’s had to win everyone over as he was an unknown quantity to everyone else at the club who had already formed strong bonds amongst each other. He was immediately the ‘outsider’ and seems to lack the assertive, authoritative personality to win everyone over. He hasn’t had any help from above and, because of that, seems out of his depth.

Spot on.

He’s given up a cushty job within the City Group to come and give it a crack with us.

He’s had zero support. Don’t think it’s the time us ‘supporters’ should be turning on him of all people.

Yes, Manning and Hogg being really good at their jobs papered over the quite massive cracks, which are now being exposed

True but the same structure was in place when Robinson was in charge, obviously he had a mid life crisis in his last season with us but the previous seasons he done pretty well with a similar set up above.

Des clearly isn't the right man to manage this club.

That's a pretty good summary of it as far as I can see.

I can understand why people talk about Buckingham underperforming, but I feel replacing Grant and Tim with competent football people would solve far more problems than sacking Des.

I can understand why people talk about Buckingham underperforming, but I feel replacing Grant and Tim with competent football people would solve far more problems than sacking Des.

I'm not sure replacing Tim and Grant improves Des's lack of tactical nouce or how he coaches the players. What he really needs is an experienced no 2 with efl experience.

Agree - but how do we do that?

Des will either sink or swim in this environment but it’ll be a long road to finding out. He’s been dropped in at the deep end in shocking conditions and yet to surface, but he might with time. He will get stronger and learn and in 12 months he might have really put his finger on the answers. But there’s too many people on an education right now and nobody who knows the way to the promise land in the immediate future.

We can only hope that he picks up a lot in these remaining games, rolls up his sleeves for a ruthless summer and a serious breakthrough happens off the field. The whole club needs a real shot in the arm from somewhere as it’s utterly lifeless.

Theres a lot of rumours , unsubstantiated thus far, that TW has knocked DB back several times when he's asked for £ for players

Add to that the lack of backroom team for DB , add the two together, and its no wonder TW & GF are being slated

How about a DoF incoming? unlikely though it is... I think that could be a good move. Not that this customers opinions carry any weight

Fans Forum well overdue
Is this true? We have just spent 400k? If they are being tighter with the purse strings then so be it. We apparently, according to some on here, have a top two budget and unfortunately a lot of it has been spent on players who are long term absentees. I don't want to end up like Reading so if we need to be more sustainable then I would accept that.

We will get enough points ,it's just we have a great chance to finish in the play offs ,it's a massive week for the club overall, let's hope for a good week of surprises 2 wins 3 good signings a message from the board that everything in the hood is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom