Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the majority think the same, he simply isn’t cutting the mustard and hasn’t done so for a while, easy to blame other things but he needs to take a long hard look at himself.
Will Goodwin end of 2023 season 12 appearances 0 goals (24 appearances and 6 goals for Torquay in the National league) aged 20.
Freddie Ladapo first season in league football aged 23. 32 appearances and 6 goals
Ivan Toney first two seasons in league football 60 appearances 9 goals
J C-H first two seasons in league football 33 appearances, 2 goals

No-one is saying he should be at Oxford now but 12 months ago he was one of the most highly thought of 18 year old strikers in the country (not a good bell weather but he was also obviously showing more in training than Sonny Perkins) and until he plays 90 minutes week in week out at NL or League 2 for at least one season it is extremely premature to write him off. Like most teenagers he also needs to be in an environment where he feels trusted and valued, particularly as a striker.

Give the lad a chance to go off and shine and we might just have a number 9 for the future

I think a DM (or version of) should be almost as high up the list as a striker. We are only an injury away from having to play Josh Mc there every week unless we really think Smyth can do it (not sure myself) and I really don't think that would work. Can he last 15 games in a row for 90 mins? Plus would be nice to have a non walking yellow card Gorrin type to come on with 20 to go if needed and we are 1 up. Striker, DM, and a loan winger and i think that's then a very good window.

No, thought we’d bring in 6 new players, not including Bennett or Cumming (just replacing Beadle), so at the moment I believe we’ve signed one new player (Burey), so was expecting another 5 at least.

And losing Perkins and Gorrin made up the squad numbers, so you could argue these need replacing. And if we loan out O’Donkor you could argue again that he should be replaced.

With players like Murphy, Browne and to a certain extent Bodin and Henry, we run the risk of being down to the bare bones/weaker options again which we’ve just struggled with over the last few months.
I reckon we’ll bring in a couple more, maybe a third on the last day

I think the majority think the same, he simply isn’t cutting the mustard and hasn’t done so for a while, easy to blame other things but he needs to take a long hard look at himself.
Think this is incredibly harsh on a 19 year old kid. Whilst I agree he needs a loan move for his development, I also think he's been the victim of being thrust in as a 17 y/o as someone we can rely on, KR went overboard (not necessarily blaming him) with praise and hype early doors and fans expected way too much of him. He actually did pretty well last season and was definitely a good option off the bench but the first lull in form and confidence and now he's being written off - it's the reactionary nonsense you get from fans nowadays, there is no middle ground, it's either you're good enough or your not to a vocal majority on social media. A lot of strikers at this level don't hit peak form until they're about 28/29. Gatlin is 10 years off that, so maybe it's not him who needs to take a long hard look at himself.

I agree with all of that other than central midfield. If one of Brannagan/McGuane gets injured, I don't think McEacrhan is good enough cover - he comes in and our midfield immediately drops significantly in quality.

I'd personally like to see Josh Onomah come in. Massively experienced at higher levels and available on a free. While I recognise wages may be an issue, he's been without a club for a while and joining a L1 team chasing promotion is a good way to get back into the game.
Yep we are thin in there, but I would argue that our performance drops off significantly when McGuane and McEachran are both in the team. From what I've seen this season it has to be either or, they simply do not complement each others styles and we become incredibly negative as a result, especially when we're lacking pace and width to provide any outlet to stretch the opposition.

I don't think they should be on the pitch at the same time!

Think this is incredibly harsh on a 19 year old kid. Whilst I agree he needs a loan move for his development, I also think he's been the victim of being thrust in as a 17 y/o as someone we can rely on, KR went overboard (not necessarily blaming him) with praise and hype early doors and fans expected way too much of him. He actually did pretty well last season and was definitely a good option off the bench but the first lull in form and confidence and now he's being written off - it's the reactionary nonsense you get from fans nowadays, there is no middle ground, it's either you're good enough or your not to a vocal majority on social media. A lot of strikers at this level don't hit peak form until they're about 28/29. Gatlin is 10 years off that, so maybe it's not him who needs to take a long hard look at himself.
’Incredibly harsh’ is generous, try ‘completely ludicrous’.

I would argue that our performance drops off significantly when McGuane and McEachran are both in the team. From what I've seen this season it has to be either or, they simply do not complement each others styles and we become incredibly negative as a result

You may well be right in your conclusion, but I don't think its McGuane and McEachran together so much as what that inevitably means - no Brannagan.

It's been 14 months since we last won a League match without Brannagan in the starting line-up.

And our League record without him in the last 3 seasons reads: P10 W2 D1 L7

Brannagan is simply irreplaceable.

We have 5 left.

Only 5 loanees can go into a match day squad, so clubs seem to set 5 as the cap, but considering 2 of our loanees (Perkins and Edwards) couldn't get into the match day squad in the first half of the season, then I wouldn't be against us having 6 players in on loan. If all 6 are fit and good enough, then Des has a (good) hard decision to make each game.
Not a fan of this, Karl tried it in his last full season and it meant he constantly had to juggle with leaving one of them out even if they were fit and were likely to make an impact on the game, and the reliance on loans shafted us the following summer where he made a poor job of rebuilding the squad, because half of them went back to their parent clubs.

28 contracted and loaned in professionals currently at the club.
17 of them count towards EFL Squad Cap of 22 (Goalkeepers and U21 registered contract players do not count)
3 loans in place

Key:
Count towards squad cap
Loans
Unlikely to play a role as it stands due to age/injury/pending exit

Cumming
Eastwood
McGinty
Brearey

Bennett
Brown

Golding
Leigh
Long
Moore

Negru
Stevens
Thorniley

Brannagan
McEachran
McGuane
Smyth

Johnson

Bodin
Browne
Burey
Goodrham
Henry
Murphy
Rodrigues

Woltman

Harris
O'Donkor

It’d be nice to see Woltman come through. Doesn’t seem to have had a chance or is out of favour. Maybe his time will come in.
My two favourites would be Goodwin and Young to come in. I’m sure that would please most of us

28 contracted and loaned in professionals currently at the club.
17 of them count towards EFL Squad Cap of 22 (Goalkeepers and U21 registered contract players do not count)
3 loans in place

Key:
Count towards squad cap
Loans
Unlikely to play a role as it stands due to age/injury/pending exit

Cumming
Eastwood
McGinty
Brearey

Bennett
Brown

Golding
Leigh
Long
Moore

Negru
Stevens
Thorniley

Brannagan
McEachran
McGuane
Smyth

Johnson

Bodin
Browne
Burey
Goodrham
Henry
Murphy
Rodrigues

Woltman

Harris
O'Donkor

Looking at that list I look forward to the summer when we can get rid of most of the high earners who are contributing very little or nothing to our current team. players like Browne, Henry, Murphy need to go then you’ve got the likes of Bodin who’s a decent squad player to us but wouldn’t be if we got promoted, the likes of McEachran Thorniley & possibly Eastwood need to be moved on as they’re not the future for us going forward. Loan for O’Donkor he needs a 18 month period of loans over the next 2 windows imo.

Last edited:
You may well be right in your conclusion, but I don't think its McGuane and McEachran together so much as what that inevitably means - no Brannagan.

It's been 14 months since we last won a League match without Brannagan in the starting line-up.

And our League record without him in the last 3 seasons reads: P10 W2 D1 L7

Brannagan is simply irreplaceable.

He is the best in his role in the league and his role is one of the most important on the pitch so its fairly understandable why we will struggle to replace our best player. I think we need another plan/style for when he isn't available, its unlikely we will find a straight like for like replacement for one of the best players in the league.

Naive to think that Bennett and Cumming wouldn't be among the 6 I'd say!

I don't disagree with your general point about the bodies required.
Why? I said 6 players before we knew whether Beadle was going, so to me that’s not part of the 6.

We’re now hearing that Bodin’s in the medical treatment room and then having to manage him the best way, so why run the risk of leaving ourselves down to the bare bones again when we can do something about it.

And we’re likely to loan out McGinty!

Have we signed anyone yet?!?!?!?!?!??!?!? getting bored.

giphy.gif

Am I really reading some saying that players who weren't even in the matchday squad need replacing? I know we are thirsty for transfers but come on
But they ended up being in the match day squad due to our injury prone players (Murphy, Browne, Bodin, Henry - legs have gone), and O’Donkor who’s not ready yet (not sure he ever will be to be honest, sorry) + Gorrin.

You cannot suddenly dismiss them! Otherwise just have 17 squad players

Most fans were saying before the window we needed at least 6 players, so based upon that I’d say we’ve brought in 1 possibly 2 if you count Bennett! and that’s when we had the likes of Perkins, Gorrin, Mills, Edwards, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom