Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor treatment. really?? - Based on what?

The guy comes on and I’ve never seen him break into a sweat, not good enough for OUFC. End of.
I agree. He usually comes on when everyone else is knackered but actually seems to put in LESS effort. It’s time some people saw past this “one of our own” camouflage; he is not a very good centre forward and he doesn’t seem to be putting that right. He may be a lovely chap but he isn’t going to fire us to promotion.

The guy comes on and I’ve never seen him break into a sweat, not good enough for OUFC. End of.
I sincerely doubt that it's "end of".

I think you'll find that plenty of people will carry on debating this.

I think the majority think the same, he simply isn’t cutting the mustard and hasn’t done so for a while, easy to blame other things but he needs to take a long hard look at himself.

I think the majority think the same, he simply isn’t cutting the mustard and hasn’t done so for a while, easy to blame other things but he needs to take a long hard look at himself.
One minute you’re saying he doesn’t run around enough, the next you’re saying he should stand still in front of a mirror.

Make your mind up!

I think the majority think the same, he simply isn’t cutting the mustard and hasn’t done so for a while, easy to blame other things but he needs to take a long hard look at himself
One minute you’re saying he doesn’t run around enough, the next you’re saying he should stand still in front of a mirror.

Make your mind up!
Oh dear, you obviously think he’s doing great?

For a Jan window that’s not bad at all. We don’t want too many wholesale changes at this stage. I still think we need to stick to the longer term plan.
Well after losing the squad players we’ve already lost e.g. Mills, Beadle, Perkins, Gorrin and Edwards, only really having Harris as our loan striker, I’d say we needed 5/6 players before losing these players. So when you add the likes of Murphy, Browne, O’Donkor and potentially Henry to this list for the last 20 games, then I think we could be putting ourselves back in further danger of leaving the squad fairly thin again.

Well after losing the squad players we’ve already lost e.g. Mills, Beadle, Perkins, Gorrin and Edwards, only really having Harris as our loan striker, I’d say we needed 5/6 players before losing these players. So when you add the likes of Murphy, Browne, O’Donkor and potentially Henry to this list for the last 20 games, then I think we could be putting ourselves back in further danger of leaving the squad fairly thin again.

Were you honestly thinking that we were going to bring 11/12 players in during January?

And of the players we lost, Perkins played 168 minutes, Gorrin played 179 minutes and Edwards 284 minutes. So we've not lost 5 regulars.

Last edited:
Mills and Beadle were the only two playing regularly and we've kind of replaced those assuming Burey takes on the Mills role. Murphy, Browne and Edwards would have been starters if fit, or at least taken it in turns to be starters. While Goodrham's done well by scoring some important goals, he's by no means a winger so I think we do need to find another quick but likely inconsistent winger to play down the left. If nothing else it does prevent the opposition right back from getting too far forward. Up front we could do with one natural scorer and one bigger target man who can also score. Basically we just need the next Hamilton, Aldridge and a left-footed Chicken George. Simple!

Were you honestly thinking that we were going to bring 11/12 players in during January?

And of the players we lost, Perkins played 168 minutes, Gorrin played 179 minutes and Edwards 284 minutes. So we've not lost 5 regulars.

That’s fair but it’s also fair to say we’ve been running on bare bones.

We have so far brought in players that cover defence. We look very solid there and in central midfield now. I’d say we are also good for the “false 9” role.

But we are massively short on the forwards and wide spots and as far as I can tell we have the following:

Wingers:
Murphy - only played not very many minutes
Browne - only played not very many minutes
Goodrham - doing well but not quite the complete package yet
Burey - a complete roll of the dice

We need four fit and high quality wide players to challenge for promotion

Forwards:
Harris - confidence player. So far not running at promotion from level . And I’m an advocate of his
O’Donkor - not at the races

And nothing else …..

We have so far brought in players that cover defence. We look very solid there and in central midfield now. I’d say we are also good for the “false 9” role.

But we are massively short on the forwards and wide spots and as far as I can tell we have the following:

Wingers:

Forwards:
Harris - confidence player. So far not running at promotion from level . And I’m an advocate of his

And nothing else …..

I'd agree with most of that, with perhaps the concern about Goodrham. He's not perfect, but he's gone from an excitable kid last season to a pretty reliable league one winger this season (and most wingers at this level are inconsistent to a certain degree).

Tyler Burey can play across the front three on centrally, so we may be OK with an out and out, oven-ready striker in on a permanent and 2 loanees on the wings.

The other position that I would like us to look at would be cover for Rodrigues. Henry will get little cameos and Bodin will be used sparingly where possible. So someone who can link up play and get up alongside the striker will possibly be the final piece of the jigsaw.

I'd agree with most of that, with perhaps the concern about Goodrham. He's not perfect, but he's gone from an excitable kid last season to a pretty reliable league one winger this season (and most wingers at this level are inconsistent to a certain degree).

Tyler Burey can play across the front three on centrally, so we may be OK with an out and out, oven-ready striker in on a permanent and 2 loanees on the wings.

The other position that I would like us to look at would be cover for Rodrigues. Henry will get little cameos and Bodin will be used sparingly where possible. So someone who can link up play and get up alongside the striker will possibly be the final piece of the jigsaw.

I think bodin has filled that role well and can cover it. I’d like to see henry leave in the summer though and get an extra in as you say .

Focus for now should be a first choice striker.

And a minimum of 2 wingers. Tyler is being asked to play loads, if he gets injured we have almost nothing and nothing off the bench either . Which over the last month has cost us a lot of points (derby / Northampton etc )

We’ve got 3 loan spots I believe? We should be looking at a young up and coming lad, like Jude Soonsup Bell at Spurs or Jamie Donley. Both very highly thought of. One winger on loan and a midfielder & maybe an experienced permanent striker. 3 loan spots that need to be used for definite, so I’d hope for a minimum of 4 in.

We’ve got 3 loan spots I believe? We should be looking at a young up and coming lad, like Jude Soonsup Bell at Spurs or Jamie Donley. Both very highly thought of. One winger on loan and a midfielder & maybe an experienced permanent striker. 3 loan spots that need to be used for definite, so I’d hope for a minimum of 4 in.
We only have 2

Based on development. Bringing a striker on for 10 mins to soley run the clock down hasn't helped him at all.
Of course he needs to kick on and show what he can do but any player needs to be given some confidence that any mistake isn't used to completely beat him up ...give him 70/ 90 mins over a run of games , see if he scores a couple and a different player emerges.
Whether that's a level or two down doesn't matter .

We only have 2
We have 5 left.

Only 5 loanees can go into a match day squad, so clubs seem to set 5 as the cap, but considering 2 of our loanees (Perkins and Edwards) couldn't get into the match day squad in the first half of the season, then I wouldn't be against us having 6 players in on loan. If all 6 are fit and good enough, then Des has a (good) hard decision to make each game.

No, thought we’d bring in 6 new players, not including Bennett or Cumming (just replacing Beadle), so at the moment I believe we’ve signed one new player (Burey), so was expecting another 5 at least.

And losing Perkins and Gorrin made up the squad numbers, so you could argue these need replacing. And if we loan out O’Donkor you could argue again that he should be replaced.

With players like Murphy, Browne and to a certain extent Bodin and Henry, we run the risk of being down to the bare bones/weaker options again which we’ve just struggled with over the last few months.

Last edited:
No, thought we’d bring in 6 new players, not including Bennett or Cumming (just replacing Beadle), so at the moment I believe we’ve signed one new player (Burey), so was expecting another 5 at least.

And losing Perkins and Gorrin made up the squad numbers, so you could argue these need replacing. And if we loan out O’Donkor you could argue again that he should be replaced.

With players like Murphy, Browne and to a certain extent Bodin and Henry, we run the risk of being down to the bare bones/weaker options again which we’ve just struggled with over the last few months.

Naive to think that Bennett and Cumming wouldn't be among the 6 I'd say!

I don't disagree with your general point about the bodies required.

Wingers:

Forwards:

And nothing else …..
I agree with all of that other than central midfield. If one of Brannagan/McGuane gets injured, I don't think McEacrhan is good enough cover - he comes in and our midfield immediately drops significantly in quality.

I'd personally like to see Josh Onomah come in. Massively experienced at higher levels and available on a free. While I recognise wages may be an issue, he's been without a club for a while and joining a L1 team chasing promotion is a good way to get back into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom