Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Much too good for L2. In spells he was the best player to wear the shirt for us last year, including at MK to haul us out the gutter in the second half. I'd have him back here in a heartbeat to rotate with our midfielders and that doesn't mean to say you forego the obvious need for a more defensive midfielder, but Bate would add fantastic depth for us. Real shame he's had to drop a level below where he ought to be as a minimum by now.
Brannagan doesn’t rotate - if he’s fit, he plays - so that would mean Bate, McGuane, McEachran and the DM you mention rotating one spot.

I agree we need a DM, we don’t need Bate.

Much too good for L2. In spells he was the best player to wear the shirt for us last year, including at MK to haul us out the gutter in the second half. I'd have him back here in a heartbeat to rotate with our midfielders and that doesn't mean to say you forego the obvious need for a more defensive midfielder, but Bate would add fantastic depth for us. Real shame he's had to drop a level below where he ought to be as a minimum by now.
I guess he wants to play rather than be rotated though?

Brannagan doesn’t rotate - if he’s fit, he plays - so that would mean Bate, McGuane, McEachran and the DM you mention rotating one spot.

I agree we need a DM, we don’t need Bate.
Agree he starts, but shouldn't necessarily be forced to play every 90 mins because we fall apart when he's not on the field, nor should he feel his spot in the team is guaranteed. To my mind it's a problem we need to resolve. A team vying to finish in the top 2 should be prepared to win without one or two of their best players, or at least be able to take them off at 2-0 up and not panic. We have no such luxury.

McGuane, unless anything changes is a goner within the next 12 months and we need a successor anyway, plus McEachran is another on the list of players whose legs have gone. He's good for an hour of first team football a week. Beyond that is a risk to him and to the team, as good a player as I think he is.

Not saying Bate is the only possibility of course but I rated him highly so to see him moving to MK when he could very ably play a part in our squad is all I was trying to highlight.

Last edited:
Bate is much too good for League 2. He's good enough to play here but we just don't need him currently. If McGuane does go then we could do worse than Bate if we're still in League 1.

Agree he starts, but shouldn't necessarily be forced to play every 90 mins because we fall apart when he's not on the field, nor should he feel his spot in the team is guaranteed. To my mind it's a problem we need to resolve. A team vying to finish in the top 2 should be prepared to win without one or two of their best players, or at least be able to take them off at 2-0 up and not panic. We have no such luxury.

McGuane, unless anything changes is a goner within the next 12 months and we need a successor anyway, plus McEachran is another on the list of players whose legs have gone. He's good for an hour of first team football a week. Beyond that is a risk to him and to the team, as good a player as I think he is.

Not saying Bate is the only possibility of course but I rated him highly so to see him moving to MK when he could very ably play a part in our squad is all I was trying to highlight.
I don’t think Bate stops us from falling apart when Brannagan isn’t on the field. He’s a McGuane replacement.

I don’t think Bate stops us from falling apart when Brannagan isn’t on the field.
You may well be right, but I think it's a better preventative measure than what we currently have around. And as we've said before, beyond Brannagan (should he get injured/suspended), we look alarmingly short. Bate's a good mover of the ball and had some bite about him.

The "minus one" is a temperature reference, but presumably the "soon" suggests it's going to be followed by a "plus one" as someone is missing from the photo.

As long as they go with a play on Good Will (GoodWin) Hunting.

I'm expecting something likes this gif with a caption... 'The Hunt Is Over'

• Haha
Reactions: MJB
This have we signed a player or haven't we is seriously getting on my nerves now to the degree of an anti climax

So no klaxon so far so no Goodwin of all done and dusted in tomorrow’s match day squad. Wake the fcuk up OUFC and communicate

I must admit, the communication about Will Goodwin has been appalling, if we’ve signed him, release a statement.
If we’ve signed someone else too, then great, but at least drop us a few tantalising crumbs.

I get the feeling they delay to build up tension or something, but I wish they'd just communicate info fast tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom