Transfer Window January 2024 Post Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really hate it when people tell others who is in the majority or minority. Why do you get to tell others what the majority think of GOD? You're no more qualified than anyone else.
I think it is fair to say, any opposition fans taking a peak at our forum will come away with the view that we are a religious lot!

I'd hate for Cam to leave but I do sometimes wonder if his wages would be better spread over maybe three players and that maybe he deserves his shot at a higher league....
.....but if he wants to stay and sign a new contract then he'll still be the first name on the team sheet. He's the heartbeat of our squad, he's true quality and he clearly loves our club.

I'd hate for Cam to leave but I do sometimes wonder if his wages would be better spread over maybe three players and that maybe he deserves his shot at a higher league....
.....but if he wants to stay and sign a new contract then he'll still be the first name on the team sheet. He's the heartbeat of our squad, he's true quality and he clearly loves our club.
The problem is he is so valuable to the team. Look what happens when he's unavailable (which is rare, and that in itself is invaluable!).

Plus we might get three decent-ish players, but no guarantee at all that we could adequately replace CB with one player, doing what he does. He's easily (for me) one of the best CM's in League 1 and well worth hanging on to for as long as we can.

The problem is he is so valuable to the team. Look what happens when he's unavailable (which is rare, and that in itself is invaluable!).

Plus we might get three decent-ish players, but no guarantee at all that we could adequately replace CB with one player, doing what he does. He's easily (for me) one of the best CM's in League 1 and well worth hanging on to for as long as we can.
Hmmm, even if he leaves on a free when his contract expires? Most clubs would try to sell him before that, especially as he’s said to be on twice as much as anyone else in the squad.

The first four will surely be gone but McEachran and Thorniley will have time on their deals. Eastwood somehow got another deal too and you'd assume we'll take the option up on McGuane rather than letting him walk for nothing.

Just Murphy, Henry, Browne and Bodin leaving will make a huge different to our expenditure.

I wouldn't be surprised if McEachran/Thorniley were made available for transfer (maybe free transfer) though.

Hmmm, even if he leaves on a free when his contract expires? Most clubs would try to sell him before that, especially as he’s said to be on twice as much as anyone else in the squad.
Honestly can't see a situation where that happens (I mean I don; think he would let that happen)....but it's a funny old game innit!

He'll keep on signing the contract and we'll keep on bumping up that release clause ;) - it was already 7 figures before this one.

I wouldn't be surprised if McEachran/Thorniley were made available for transfer (maybe free transfer) though.
Me neither but it relies on someone taking them. We'd find a League One club for Thorniley I'd have thought but McEachran might be trickier. I wouldn't be devastated if Thorniley stayed either if we're in League One. I never got the hype last time and I wouldn't want him to be starting each week but he's a reliable enough backup at this level.

Me neither but it relies on someone taking them. We'd find a League One club for Thorniley I'd have thought but McEachran might be trickier. I wouldn't be devastated if Thorniley stayed either if we're in League One. I never got the hype last time and I wouldn't want him to be starting each week but he's a reliable enough backup at this level.
We’d do well to lose Thorniley and convince a more capable central defender to come and watch Moore and Brown from the bench, let alone a left sided one.

Same principle for McEachran if we could potentially keep Brannagan, McGuane and Matete.

I think McEachran would quite easily get a club but maybe a lower L1 more probably L2 club. We may have to make any wage difference up unless they are offering a longer contract to make it worth his while.

Hopefully Charlton go down so they can show ambition to sign him as we can extol his virtues which will make him a target for Salmon Pants. :)

We’d do well to lose Thorniley and convince a more capable central defender to come and watch Moore and Brown from the bench, let alone a left sided one.

Same principle for McEachran if we could potentially keep Brannagan, McGuane and Matete.

I think we'd get a replacement midfielder in for McEachran who would be as good, if not better for the team. They might not be as technically good as him but I don't think McEachran suits how we've been trying to play all season and I don't think it is any different with Des going forward.

I think McEachran would quite easily get a club but maybe a lower L1 more probably L2 club. We may have to make any wage difference up unless they are offering a longer contract to make it worth his while.

Hopefully Charlton go down so they can show ambition to sign him as we can extol his virtues which will make him a target for Salmon Pants. :)

I'm not convinced JM has a lot more to give at this level. I mean he is only 30 but moves like a player who is a lot older. He is neat and tidy, if given time on the ball, but I don't think could play 90 mins regularly. He obviously has a good football brain but just looks like he is restraining himself, so he doesn't get injured, every time he is on the pitch.

Hang on a minute I don’t see a god given right that both EM CB shouldn’t have proper competition for there places have you seen the goals we’ve been gifting teams at the minute? We’ve been awful defending set pieces under Des & defensively overall we haven’t been dealing with balls coming into our box it’s like a pinball bouncing around in there of late (pompeys goals a classic example)

Browns performances have dropped off imo since being under Des I watched him get bullied against Smith in that 2nd half last week, he was really poor against Barnsley kicking nearly every ball out of play & been part of the shambles defending we’ve witnessed at Cheltenham Northampton Peterborough Bristol Rovers Coventry in them horror away days with it not much better in the home games in Derby & Portsmouth (I’m not blaming him individually for them games but he’s played his part along with others defensively who’s been poor)

Thorniley needs to be moved on along with Findlay ASAP but let’s not forget both on a pretty penny & we’re not getting true value for what we’re paying in wages to them both (I guess the likelihood seems both will go out on loan with us paying a good portion of their wages again)

Hang on a minute I don’t see a god given right that both EM CB shouldn’t have proper competition for there places have you seen the goals we’ve been gifting teams at the minute? We’ve been awful defending set pieces under Des & defensively overall we haven’t been dealing with balls coming into our box it’s like a pinball bouncing around in there of late (pompeys goals a classic example)

Browns performances have dropped off imo since being under Des I watched him get bullied against Smith in that 2nd half last week, he was really poor against Barnsley kicking nearly every ball out of play & been part of the shambles defending we’ve witnessed at Cheltenham Northampton Peterborough Bristol Rovers Coventry in them horror away days with it not much better in the home games in Derby & Portsmouth (I’m not blaming him individually for them games but he’s played his part along with others defensively who’s been poor)

Thorniley needs to be moved on along with Findlay ASAP but let’s not forget both on a pretty penny & we’re not getting true value for what we’re paying in wages to them both (I guess the likelihood seems both will go out on loan with us paying a good portion of their wages again)

Negru?

When using initials can people please remember and be mindful...

JM - Josh McEachran
JM - Josh Murphy
JM - Jay Matete
CB - Ciaron Brown
CB - Cameron Brannagan
CB - 'centre back'
BB... RR... MM...

The others I can just about work out.... ;-)

No one’s saying they should have a god given right and of course if a better LCB became available then we should be looking at that, but you’re pointing to examples there where Brown’s played in a typhoon against Barnsley or at LB at Cheltenham next to two awful centre back performances. He’s generally been very solid for us and gives us natural balance in central defence. Moore too.

Sure if something better comes along in defence then we should look at it, but I’d rather our approach this summer took advantage of how settled a squad we could potentially have than sought to disrupt it. Unless someone wants to go, then outside of the out of contract players, I’d be happy to focus all of that cash saved on wages on a couple of attacking signings rather than eating into it elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom