Transfer Window January 2024 Post Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do wonder what happened with the striker we were so publicly chasing. If it was Leonard then it’s strange it didn’t happen as I would have assumed we were just waiting for them to sign a striker…which they did.

Personally, I don’t think we were really in for Marriot this time. It didn’t really seem to fit with Des’s comments after the game. I know some people have said he has played out wide before but I still consider him to be a number 9. Unless he was talking more about Harris going out wide and rotating Goodwin and Marriot/Leonard?

Anyway I do think it’s been a decent window. Hopefully Bodin and Murphy can return soon and then we’ll have some depth.
Looks as if Ennis became the 'one out' for Blackburn, not Leonard

There's far more clubs in desperate need for a striker. Derby couldn't get one done all window (they have Collins as their only fit striker), Charlton linked (obviously) and a few champ clubs. This would be non starter, wage demands would be 🚀
Poor Mr Manning was frustrated at not bringing in a striker at Bristol City. Shame

I do wonder what happened with the striker we were so publicly chasing. If it was Leonard then it’s strange it didn’t happen as I would have assumed we were just waiting for them to sign a striker…which they did.

Personally, I don’t think we were really in for Marriot this time. It didn’t really seem to fit with Des’s comments after the game. I know some people have said he has played out wide before but I still consider him to be a number 9. Unless he was talking more about Harris going out wide and rotating Goodwin and Marriot/Leonard?

Anyway I do think it’s been a decent window. Hopefully Bodin and Murphy can return soon and then we’ll have some depth.
I have no idea who the main striker target was that we were waiting on in the last 48hrs of the window, but it wasn't Marriott and I don't think it was Leonard.

I think its been a good window. I am not sure about the striker short debate. The defensive midfield player might be more important looking at the stats for the top six. We are four goals short of the top scorers but have let in 10 more than Bolton;
PFAGDPTS
1Portsmouth304627+1960
2Bolton275026+2457
3Peterborough284829+2556
4Derby295228+2456
5Barnsley285232+2052
6Oxford294836+1250

Last edited:
Pleasantly solid would be my humble.

I`m sure the management and backroom staff have a better view if fitness/decrepitness levels than us.

Why do modern footballers seem to get far more injuries than previously?

Is it just a case that Mr Fish just jabbed them with steroids if the smelling salts didn`t work and told them to run it off?

I`m sure the management and backroom staff have a better view if fitness/decrepitness levels than us.

Is it just a case that Mr Fish just jabbed them with steroids if the smelling salts didn`t work and told them to run it off?
Fair few career ending knee injuries under Mr Fish at Oxford

Some suggestions:

The increased intensity of modern football means that carrying a knock has a bigger affect on the team as a whole. You could more easily carry someone with a bit of a hamstring twinge previously.

Some injuries are now treatable that would have been career enders (Achilles ruptures, torn cruciates, etc.) so these are now considered as just injuries (albeit with a long recovery time).

The use of cortisone was wide-spread in the 70's and 80's had short-term benefits but can result long-term problems if the underlying problem remains untreated.

Are there any statistics that actually prove there are more injuries now than previously or is it all just based on perception?

• React
Reactions: m
Are there any statistics that actually prove there are more injuries now than previously or is it all just based on perception?
I think you can get a good idea by looking at number of players used by teams back in the 70s and 80s. Aston Villa, for instance, won the title using only 14 players, teams use more than that in a single game these days.

I think you can get a good idea by looking at number of players used by teams back in the 70s and 80s. Aston Villa, for instance, won the title using only 14 players, teams use more than that in a single game these days.
But were some of those Villa players 'managing a condition' but playing through, whereas now they'd be on the sidelines?

But were some of those Villa players 'managing a condition' but playing through, whereas now they'd be on the sidelines?
Don't know, but the game was a lot slower back then so you might be able to get away with carrying a knock back then which you can't today. Bodies are being pushed harder, so things will break more often if you aren't careful.

Don't know, but the game was a lot slower back then so you might be able to get away with carrying a knock back then which you can't today. Bodies are being pushed harder, so things will break more often if you aren't careful.
This is worth highlighting.

Players now are fitter, faster and technically better than years ago. If you could teleport our current team and put them up against a third division side from 40 years ago, then I daresay our current team would run rings round them.

That's not to say the game itself is better now, but the players playing it are much better athletes.

Yeah, and they have a coach for everything now as well, and I think we’ve moved on from Ken’s sponge!!

This is worth highlighting.

Players now are fitter, faster and technically better than years ago. If you could teleport our current team and put them up against a third division side from 40 years ago, then I daresay our current team would run rings round them.

That's not to say the game itself is better now, but the players playing it are much better athletes.
40 years ago you say? 83/84?...

What era is the ref from?...

If Briggs don't get you, Shotton will 😉

I think it’s been the strongest window we’ve had for some time - on the face of it.
I would have given it a 9, as the excellent (theoretical) quality level of the players, in relation to what was available to us, merits this score.
However, some niggles take it to an 8. Bennett and Goodwin are injured; goodness knows when Edwards will be back; we’ll reserve opinion on Matete until match fitness is clear.

All credit to Des, Ed and the owners. If the injury situation is kind to us, AND this squad clicks, we’ll be top 4.

Back
Top Bottom