Transfer News January 2023 Transfer window thread

It is interesting to see our goals for and against at this stage of the season over the past four years. The big difference for me is that Findlay cost a lot more transfer money and contract terms than any of the other three players I’ve outlined. Seemed to have gone back to the old model with the two centre backs we have purchased this transfer window. Stating the obvious we need a new forward as the shortage of goals from Matt Taylor has probably made the difference to our season. If only the Murphy money had been spent on a striker in the summer.

SeasonGamesGoals forGoals AgainstKey Defender
2019- 2020274527Dickie
2020- 2021274334Atkinson
2021- 2022274331McNally
2022 -2023273331Findlay

Last edited:
It is interesting to see our goals for and against at this stage of the season over the past four years. The big difference for me is that Findlay cost a lot more transfer money and contract terms than any of the other three players I’ve outlined. Seemed to have gone back to the old model with the two centre backs we have purchased this transfer window. Stating the obvious we need a new forward as the shortage of goals from Matt Taylor has probably made the difference to our season. If only the Murphy money had been spent on a striker in the summer.

2019- 2020274527Dickie
2010- 2021274334Atkinson
2021- 2022274331McNally
2022 -2023273331Findlay
Interesting. For strikers it’s very difficult to remain confident in front of goal when constantly chasing games and conceding goals. And equally, the pressure on defenders to keep clean sheets when you can’t score goals is enormous. It’s a vicious cycle.

What this shows me is not a real difference in the quality of those players but a complete regression as a team over 4 seasons. Some might describe that as being ‘found out’ and failing to adapt. Holding on to players whose standards are slipping, they’re ageing and increasingly injured is also inevitably part of this. E.g. Taylor is visibly less effective than he was 2 seasons ago and we’ve failed to bring in a successor. So here we are trying to get the last of the ketchup out of an empty bottle.

The closer it gets to 23.00hrs on Tuesday the more likely it will be a panic loan or signing that most haven’t heard of.
If a strike he maybe a bit like Ciaron Brown not many had heard of but turns out to be pretty decent, or he could be someone who many have not heard of and when the end of the season comes along, still not many have heard of.

2019- 2020274527Dickie
2010- 2021274334Atkinson
2021- 2022274331McNally
2022 -2023273331Findlay
I've maintained for a while that our issue has not simply been solely a lack of pace on both flanks, but a lack of offensively minded players in the back four which could support us going forward. The reason we'd score so many in previous seasons would often be as a result of someone bringing the ball out from the back allowing our offensive players to receive the ball in dangerous positions. Opposing sides would rarely manage to defend against it with a heavy reliance on forward players being drawn out of position creating space where there ordinarily wouldn't be any.

In the past Ruffels could be counted on to get forward and get goals. Long for a season was excellent getting forward from full back. Most vitally Atkinson, Dickie and McNally were all capable of bringing the ball out from the back centrally which would often cut through the forward line and midfield. We were heavily reliant on it.

I've maintained for a while that our issue has not simply been solely a lack of pace on both flanks, but a lack of offensively minded players in the back four which could support us going forward. The reason we'd score so many in previous seasons would often be as a result of someone bringing the ball out from the back allowing our offensive players to receive the ball in dangerous positions. Opposing sides would rarely manage to defend against it with a heavy reliance on forward players being drawn out of position creating space where there ordinarily wouldn't be any.

In the past Ruffels could be counted on to get forward and get goals. Long for a season was excellent getting forward from full back. Most vitally Atkinson, Dickie and McNally were all capable of bringing the ball out from the back centrally which would often cut through the forward line and midfield. We were heavily reliant on it.
Yeah absolutely this. We've always struggled to create in midfield - Brannagan has never really had an eye for a creative through ball, he's much more reliant on switching play or short interchanges. He's also much more liable to shoot from distance than play anyone in. Likewise with McGuane, very rarely plays a penetrative ball. Even Henry who was one of our better passers would always much prefer to shoot when we get anywhere near goal.

We've needed defenders bringing the ball forward to create space by drawing in defenders, this has allowed us to spread the play wider to overlapping full-backs or wingers and create more space in the middle by drawing defenders out. We've struggled so badly this season to get balls from back to front and honestly think the criticism for our strikers really hadn't taken into account how poor we've been at creating chances.

Think people have been especially critical of Taylor not just for his low overall tally, but partly because he's got so frustrated he's now dropping way too deep as it's pretty much the only time he's able to receive the ball. Think in a half decent attacking side he'd have at least 10 league goals this season (current league top scorer has 13).

Lyle Taylor is being offered around a number of clubs for loan. 32, hasn’t played all season. It feels like Oxford. It smells like Oxford.

Could we?
But the question is “ why hasn’t he played this season?”

But the question is “ why hasn’t he played this season?”
Not sure but with his club playing in the premier league and signing best part of 30 players since, that may be a factor!! I suspect he’s on an enormous wage.

Karl has tried for him before, or so he says. And now he’s been playing no football for 6 months it’s tee’d up beautifully for Karl to swoop in with his olive branch.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Not sure but with his club playing in the premier league and signing best part of 30 players since, that may be a factor!! I suspect he’s on an enormous wage.

Karl has tried for him before, or so he says. And now he’s been playing no football for 6 months it’s tee’d up beautifully for Karl to swoop in with his olive branch.
And realise when he signs the reason for not playing he’s had a niggling injury……just hope if he does it’s not a case of the Jimmy Carters ( 2nd time round )

L Taylor has said before he won’t play for Robinson due to his mk links I guess if we are his only option he may change his stance but I doubt it

Back
Top Bottom