Transfer News January 2023 Transfer window thread

i think now is the time to start playing GOD etc ...our season is just about over as far as playoffs are concerned so get em out there and see what they can really do half a season regular first team football could be the making of these young players...im not sure taylor has it anymore looks slow and not sharp enough....goods servant for a couple of years but we need change fast

apologies if I’m parroting someone else’s comment but Nathan Broadhead has signed for Ipswich for 1.5m. Just shows the frightening amount of money they’re willing to throw at getting out this division, they really need to hope they do this year!
How many forwards do they need as I notice they are also trying to sign Jamal Lowe from Bournemouth

I agree with the post match re: Taylor.

He has basically been our sole striker for several seasons being asked to press from the front game after game. No real surprise he has been run into the ground. Would also add the he doesn't have the legs around him that he did in previous seasons. Even with Mackie in the squad they split the minutes 60/40ish.

As was mentioned after the game, there's no point bringing in another late 20s striker that pretty much has the same attributes as Taylor. We need someone who will take minutes from Taylor, that won't represent a drop off (GOD obviously has something, but throwing him on is a roll of the dice and out of hope).

With the above in mind, what names would you go for if we were scouting?

Probably looking for someone:
- 6ft+
- Decent aerially
- has some physicality but is also mobile
- if transfer - U23 - cost <=300k (just an arbitrary number)
- if loan - not a first loan - has played on their own or in a two up top

If those are the parameters are what we are after, who fulfils that?

To add, I am concerned for our front line. Henry given a few extra years at 33, Bodin also (30), Baldock (33), Taylor now 32, plus Wildschut (31).

Great post. Rather than knocking Taylor it recognising the rolehe has been forced to play in the last busy 2 months. Really not sure its fair to O'Donkor to let him lead the line just yet. The return of Joseph and new signings will probably bring the best out of him

He meant next year surely. 50 points will be an achievement this year.
50 points will hardly be an achievement.
We would have to do worse in the second half of the season than the first to not hit 50 points

apologies if I’m parroting someone else’s comment but Nathan Broadhead has signed for Ipswich for 1.5m. Just shows the frightening amount of money they’re willing to throw at getting out this division, they really need to hope they do this year!

It really does dishearten me to see that sort of money being thrown around at this level and yet we have billionaire owners but can’t spend because of the wage cap - big clubs get bigger, smaller clubs get smaller, the whole thing stinks.

To be fair, Ipswich are building a strong Championship squad in League 1. It's absolutely mad. Theres showing ambition, and then theres taking the P**s.

Ipswich are definitely spending silly money for our division, but I do like how they’re doing it - no risk really to Hirst or Broadhead now, or Harness or Ladapo last summer. They’ve done it in our league before.

Hopefully we lose them, Derby and Wednesday this year, and smaller clubs come down. Not that I’m desperate to go to Rotherham again, but until we’re better managed throughout the club (and I’m sure it’s going in the right direction to some extent) it’ll be tough to compete with those bigger clubs.

Not sure why people are unconvinced by McGinty. He looks technically decent, he's quick off his line and with his distribution and doesn't look out of place. For a young keeper, settling in to a new country (I don't know as he lived here before ?) he's doing alright. Not too sure he could be blamed for any of the goals last night, he was left woefully exposed by those in front of him not picking up their man or carelessly losing possession.
Not trying to be controversial, but McGinty is ok, that’s as far as I’d go. He’s not really tall and big enough to be a top keeper in my book. I don’t think he commands the area at all at set pieces and for one on ones he just not big enough to put much doubt in an opponents mind.

So whilst he’s ok and capable of doing a job and will improve, I’d have him as a 3rd choice at OUFC at best if we want to be considered promotion contenders moving forward. What we do definitely need is a new quality number 1.

Really not sure its fair to O'Donkor to let him lead the line just yet.
Not fair on him by giving a young player who clearly loves playing the game and is probably desperate to start - and is doing well when he does - more opportunities? Sorry, really don’t understand the logic in that?

Fair enough if we were starting him every week while he toiled away playing badly (like Matty Taylor…) but how on earth is it unfair on GO’D to give him a chance?

If anything, what we’re currently doing is unfair on Taylor.

Not fair on him by giving a young player who clearly loves playing the game and is probably desperate to start - and is doing well when he does - more opportunities? Sorry, really don’t understand the logic in that?

Fair enough if we were starting him every week while he toiled away playing badly (like Matty Taylor…) but how on earth is it unfair on GO’D to give him a chance?

Agreed, one of our best performances this season was when GO'D lead the line. Bolton away. Rotate Taylor and O'Donkor, as we used to with Mackie. This could re-vitalize Taylor, and GO'D can't be worse than Mackie was when he played.

Lawrence Shankland @ Hearts is one shout!
6ft 1
Plays off the last man and gets in behind
15 goals in 20

Would cost a pretty penny, but if we’re looking long term, this is the type of player that could be worth the investment!
Considering they mentioned £5million+ after apparent Rangers interest, not sure that’s a realistic one for us!

Last edited:
Have you got a name mixed up there? Surely Jamal Lowe is never coming to L1

You can take any report like this with a pinch of salt but this is what this report suggests

Ben Purkiss was suggesting on RO that GO'D should be given time on ths pitch but as a number 3 striker for the sake of his development.
We need somebody else through the door. GO'D has huge potential but I am not sure he should be starting games at L1 level?

Expectation that he will be the main man. So far we have nothing to suggest he is ready for this. He battled hard at Bolton but he was bullied by Santos. He fought hard but was overwhelmed if we are honest. Most of his play in games has been once Taylor has run the centre halves so very little before 70/75 minutes to judge him on.

Could he do the job, I guess we do not know and maybe he deserves the chance. I just think that games at a lower level than League 1 is the right route for him and come back a bit more battle hardened and ready to start League 1 games. There is nothing at this moment IMOP to suggest that time is now

I agree Taylor needs help, not sure as at today GO'D is the answer. Just my view

GO'D has huge potential but I am not sure he should be starting games at L1 level?
Why? He's already looked a handful for everyone he's come up against? And that is while having little cameos.

If they're good enough, they're old enough, and GOD has shown nothing to me to suggest he isn't good enough, let's give him the chance and find out, not talk about bringing in someone else on loan to develop them for their parent club.

Last edited:
After watching the game last night against arsenal we def need a striker ….,Taylor needs help up there
Didn’t we play our best football when we had 2 up front ???
Maybe Ipswich might give us one for there strikers and they have quite a few

It really does dishearten me to see that sort of money being thrown around at this level and yet we have billionaire owners but can’t spend because of the wage cap - big clubs get bigger, smaller clubs get smaller, the whole thing stinks.
Is there still a wage cap? Or relative to revenue? I didn't think there was any control?

Not trying to be controversial, but McGinty is ok, that’s as far as I’d go. He’s not really tall and big enough to be a top keeper in my book. I don’t think he commands the area at all at set pieces and for one on ones he just not big enough to put much doubt in an opponents mind.

So whilst he’s ok and capable of doing a job and will improve, I’d have him as a 3rd choice at OUFC at best if we want to be considered promotion contenders moving forward. What we do definitely need is a new quality number 1.

He's 6ft 3, isn't he? How tall would you say is big enough?

Back
Top Bottom