Transfer News January 2022/23 Transfer Window preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see one of the first things the new Charlton manager has done is take the captaincy off of Jayden Stockley. Not sure how he’ll react to that - especially tonight! - or if it’s a sign the manager doesn’t rate him, but if he becomes available I would hope we’ll be in the frame.
His stats are no better than Taylor’s we need someone who can at least hit a barn door.

His stats are no better than Taylor’s we need someone who can at least hit a barn door.
We need someone halfway between the two. A physical presence who can still play. We won’t get a complete striker at L1 level, but can see why we went for Bonne before.

Who are our best players at the moment? Lets say

McGuane - 23 (signed at 21)
Bate - 20 (signed at 19)
Brown - 24

Three of the youngest in the squad. If we sign more players 30yrs+ in January I despair of our recruitment.

Yep his stats might be similar but he’s a totally different type of striker. A 6’3” target man who might appreciate the type of football we’re playing this season more than Taylor does. Even if he’s not scoring, his hold up play might be better.

Brilliant Taylor replacement. Would only want him if it was a perm deal.
Would probably have to be with his current injury. Looking through Championship players with <500 minutes this season:
- Jebbison (OOC summer '23)
- Bonne (OOC summer '23)
- Leko (OOC summer '23)
- Simpson
- Hirst
- Walker (OOC summer '23)

**this just a quick way of seeing players that are failing to get minutes in the league above and therefore could be available for loan/transfer

Last edited:
Yep his stats might be similar but he’s a totally different type of striker. A 6’3” target man who might appreciate the type of football we’re playing this season more than Taylor does. Even if he’s not scoring, his hold up play might be better.
That sort of player with a pacey O'Donkor would be good to watch as a duo. Of course, that requires us to play 2 up front. That really worked when Baldock and Taylor played together and despite that success, we've now reverted to type.

My Dad said to me several weeks ago that Matty Taylor doesn't worry big defenders as he can't turn them, hasn't got the pace anymore to whizz past them and is dreadful at challenging them in the air when we lump it up to him. I've made a point of watching him in the last few games and my Dad is absolutely right - he is currently really ineffective and any 6 foot plus central defender easily beats him in the air.

O'Donkor may not win many headers but he makes it hard for the defender by jumping hard with him and seeking to put him off. He can also beat them for pace thus they have to sit off him a bit creating space and well he showed us how to turn a defender in the last minute at Sheffield Wednesday. We shouldn't have to rely on such an inexperienced player and hats off to KR, we don't have to as he'll continue to play Taylor in a system that is totally unsuited to his game - Bravo!

Would probably have to be with his current injury. Looking through Championship players with <500 minutes this season:
- Bonne (OOC summer '23)
- Leko (OOC summer '23)
- Simpson
- Hirst
If we meant business we'd be going in for Walker or Jebbison. Both have the potential to score plenty in this division in the right side, Jebbison is still raw but has all the physical attributes we need.

- Bonne (OOC summer '23)
- Leko (OOC summer '23)
- Simpson
- Hirst
I’d take any one of those. Sad thing is, we’ll get none of them.

There was a lot of fuss around Jebbison not long ago. He fits the physical profile of what we need. That would be a heck of a capture.

- Bonne (OOC summer '23)
- Leko (OOC summer '23)
- Simpson
- Hirst
That’s a great list. Goes to show the players are available if the cash and structure we should have is in place.

That sort of player with a pacey O'Donkor would be good to watch as a duo. Of course, that requires us to play 2 up front. That really worked when Baldock and Taylor played together and despite that success, we've now reverted to type.

My Dad said to me several weeks ago that Matty Taylor doesn't worry big defenders as he can't turn them, hasn't got the pace anymore to whizz past them and is dreadful at challenging them in the air when we lump it up to him. I've made a point of watching him in the last few games and my Dad is absolutely right - he is currently really ineffective and any 6 foot plus central defender easily beats him in the air.

O'Donkor may not win many headers but he makes it hard for the defender by jumping hard with him and seeking to put him off. He can also beat them for pace thus they have to sit off him a bit creating space and well he showed us how to turn a defender in the last minute at Sheffield Wednesday. We shouldn't have to rely on such an inexperienced player and hats off to KR, we don't have to as he'll continue to play Taylor in a system that is totally unsuited to his game - Bravo!
Agree, good post.
Have you also noticed that Taylor seems to get caught offside more these days? A certain amount of laziness and lack of concentration has crept in I think!!

We saw signs halfway through last season that Taylor wasn’t the same player who could play as a lone striker.

Baldock came in & Taylor looked like a new player playing in a duo/partnership.

Baldock got injured & the season starting to unfold when we tried Whyte alongside Taylor.

Taylor is still a quality player in my eyes & I think we’d see that if he played alongside another clever striker.

We saw signs halfway through last season that Taylor wasn’t the same player who could play as a lone striker.

Baldock came in & Taylor looked like a new player playing in a duo/partnership.

Baldock got injured & the season starting to unfold when we tried Whyte alongside Taylor.

Taylor is still a quality player in my eyes & I think we’d see that if he played alongside another clever striker.
Shame Baldock will retire before playing another game for the club

Agree, good post.
Have you also noticed that Taylor seems to get caught offside more these days? A certain amount of laziness and lack of concentration has crept in I think!!
That or a realisation that he needs to be right on the offside line to have any chance of beating a defender for pace. There was a programme on the other day ( I forget which one) where it was mentioned that strikers generally lose a yard or two of pace when they hit their early Thirties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom