Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Right, I re-listened to the transfer bit again from KR and typed it out too in case slowed down it made more sense.

The yellow shirt starter? The offer of a Zoom call? Why are we 'way off where we want to be' still?

Ramblings even our Bazzer would be proud of.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

NC: You could have done deals this week but they weren’t the right ones, things can still happen and it’s not all about money. Is that what you said basically before the game?

KR: No. There was a yellow shirt that we were, and – if anybody wants me to phone them on a Zoom and, and uh – I’ve had some great conversations with people, really good people. One or two things have fell flat this week. And, for me, my team means more to me than any individual and if somebody – I’m not going to get into it, it’s not the time – but there’s been some really positive conversations with some people who want to be here for the right reasons. There’s been some conversations with people for the wrong reasons. Shove it. Do one. ‘Cos we don’t need you. Whoever that is.

NC: Sorry, is that players coming in or players here already?

KR: A number of things! Like, this club means more – there’s no one person who is outside this football club or in this football club is bigger than the club! There’s no manager stood on this touchline who is greater than the badge, and the fans, who have been here for years. We are all a cog in that. Some players I’ve spoke to are dead excited about coming here. And can we make it work? We don’t know. But there’s enthusiasm to ‘can we have a conversation? Can we talk about this?’ Brilliant. But should I be chasing people? Should I be going backwards and forwards between a number of people? Shove it where the sun don’t shine. Because this football club is way off where we need to be still. And we’re in those stages – and for me, I am quite comfortable with who we are. And I think that’s err – and it’s not just people who will think it’s them. And there’s six things that have gone on this week and I’ve gone ‘Oh come on! Really?’. And that doesn’t really sit well with me. And there’s been two or three conversations this week where I’ve gone ‘Oh wow! I didn’t expect that. That is really exciting’ and it’s really refreshing. And you have these conversations with people all the time. Some people lift you to clouds and to dream, some people drag you in the doldrums sometimes and err – a player who skips on this pitch is far greater than someone I have to pull onto it. And that’s it. You cross that white line in a yellow shirt, it’s got to mean something to you ‘cos I think it means an awful lot to me, the players and the fans.
“No. There was a yellow shirt that we were, and – if anybody wants me to phone them on a Zoom and, and uh”

Can someone who’s ‘ITK’ explain to me what the hell this means please?

“No. There was a yellow shirt that we were, and – if anybody wants me to phone them on a Zoom and, and uh”

You could have a PHD in complex decoding from the University of Bletchley Park where your tutor was a certain Alan Turing and still struggle with that.

with respect you're missing the point. Any player can only be gotten within your budget....The Agents play games touting clients here there and everywhere and will keep coming back with club B are now offering +£££££.

Karl is right we cannot mortgage the club and if what we offer along with our potential is not enough then move on it is that simple and people can complain but that is this world of modern football
Am I missing the point?
The point KR was probably making is that a player/ agent are not going to sign an offered contract by oufc based around the players perception of what they are worth. That doesn't signal greed.

KR doesn't decide their worth, our board doesn't and oufc fans do not either.
If for eg. Ipswich came in for him on a 3yr deal at 4k a week, and oufc decided to offer 3k a week for 2 yrs then the difference is quite considerable. How can Sykes go back to his family and tell them that he accepted an inferior contract... Out of loyalty for the yellow shirt!

Go the Victoria Arms in Marston and you can ask him yourself !

I wonder if KR speaks to his family in the way he speaks in front of a camera or microphone.

Mrs R: “Wanna cup of tea, Karl?”

KR: “Well, I do but I also think that perhaps I don’t because what is tea really and is it right for me at this time? I mean it would be easy for me to drink, and I am thirsty, but the tea needs to the right brand and price and also want to be consumed. Then there is the method of brewing, which of course you do correctly, but I’ve seen it done badly by others and that leaves me fuming. Also, are you wearing a yellow shirt?”

Mrs R (internal monologue: “FFS, just say yes or no”

KR: “I also want to pay tribute to…” (insert organisation here)

Mrs R screams.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would disagree. I am ten minutes from the most beautiful scenery in the UK in the Peak District. I am 25 minutes drive from a City with a huge selection of bars, Michelin restaurants, live music venues, and top end shops. I have a 5 bed detached for less mortgage than I was paying for a 2.5 bed in kiddy. If I'm Cole Stockton, therein lies the problem.
Totally agree Kip. I live in a small town in West Yorkshire 2 miles from Halifax which is the real ale hub of the North. My large modern stone-built 4-bed detached house cost me £350k a few yrs ago. No contest.

Club enquired about a Championship striker over a week ago, but unsure whether that’s still ongoing or whether the move has been rejected by the parent club / player. Assuming (perhaps wrongly, let’s see) that the Defoe stuff over the last few days suggests it’s a no on that one. Especially as Winnall is doing his usual “I’m fit this time, I swear!” routine a week before the deadline.

The trouble with wanting to sign players when you’re at the right end of the table is that you need to try to bag ones who you won’t suddenly find aren’t good enough in a few months if you get promoted. Sometimes being further down and looking to build for the next 18 months at the same level means you’re able and more comfortable to get a deal done. You know that the player is of the right calibre for where you are and will be, the player feels comfortable with their prospects for the same reasons etc. If you’re in with a proper shout of going up then are you comfortable paying money / offering a decent contract for a good player at this level but a bench warmer at the next one? If you want to go for one who you believe can definitely hack it at the next level, are they willing to come and risk you missing out when they could definitely get a Championship club (and Championship wages) by the summer? Can you afford them if you match those financials but then get stuck at this level for the next couple of seasons?

It’s deceptively tricky.
That is the dilemma and the chances of getting it wrong are high. On yesterday's performance by a squad that would have been substantially different if circumstances had been otherwise we realised, if we didn't know already, that we have a greater depth of talent on the books than some might have thought. Who knew for example, what a player we had in Bodin?
Has Winnall really turned a corner and can be guaranteed do what he did yesterday in every remaining game of the season? Maybe we can get promoted with what we've got and not risk any signings this window? If the manager was feeling stressed before the game, ironically the win will only have made the pressure of who, if anyone, he needs to sign or can afford to lose in the next 8 days, even greater. I don't envy him. I feel for him.

I would disagree. I am ten minutes from the most beautiful scenery in the UK in the Peak District. I am 25 minutes drive from a City with a huge selection of bars, Michelin restaurants, live music venues, and top end shops. I have a 5 bed detached for less mortgage than I was paying for a 2.5 bed in kiddy. If I'm Cole Stockton, therein lies the problem.
Bit your miles away from the famous Oxford United

Next 7 days. - 3 signings needed, 4 if Thorniley recalled.

Agyei
& Cooper MUST go on loan & be replaced by a striker to compete with Taylor & a left back who can compete with Seddon.

If Gorrin won’t play again this season, then a CDM on loan till the end of the season is also a MUST.

If Thorniley is recalled he MUST be replaced by a left sided centre back.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who wouldn’t be that upset if we have missed out on Browne? Still gives me shivers thinking back to Wembley when he stood hand on hips as Wycombe broke from a throw in for the penalty. Yes a quality player but inconsistent and a questionable attitude? fingers crossed for some transfer movement this week. On a side note a club over here was put off by Coopers wages re coming on loan

If you’re a talksport listener and have ever heard Simon Jordan talk about agents, it’s excellent therapy!!

It’s incredible what they get away with and how few of them operate with genuine good intentions and act like business people/career builders rather than groomers and opportunists.

One of his best arguments is that there should be some very heavy regulation on them that legally requires them to contribute financially to grass roots football on every single transaction - say 5-10% FA tax and a further premium payment made directly to the selling club if they are further down the pyramid selling u21 players to top clubs. They take millions out of the game and some communities don’t even have a safe space for kids to kick a ball around.
Clubs paying agents altogether should be outlawed, it incentivises players moving year on year and puts lower league clubs at a distinct disadvantage. Any payment for an agents services should be paid for by the player, if they want to chuck away some of their signing on bonus, let them.

Though footballers earn enough for that to be less of an issue, and no one is expecting Cole Stockton to settle here permanently. More relevant may be the fact that Oxford is a small club in an area not known for football - if you walk around town you see no signs of the club, whereas I’m sure Sunderland or Portsmouth are full of scarves, shirts, and posters. Hopefully the new ground will help in that respect.

Back
Top Bottom