Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

L

Literally zero chance Taylor would be dropped, would probably change formation to accommodate, what formation we finished with Saturday is what we would look at using, especially if we sign Cadden as well.
Trouble is we have a lot of Saturday followed by Tuesday football coming up. We have been pretty lucky so far in that Taylor has time to recover but even then the workload is quite a heavy for a 33 year old playing on his own up front.

Why imo unless it’s a Loan, we need to get all our business done by then. Don’t want to be leaving it till the last day.
Do you not think we would do exactly that if we could?!?

We’re not just sat around saying “let’s just wait until deadline day, for a laugh, it’ll be fine”

January is a tricky transfer window to get the right deals done, as teams will be losing players halfway through the season, so will need to make sure they can replace them or at least cope without them, before committing to letting them leave.

Personally, I’d scrap the January transfer window all together, as it just causes too much disruption. Teams had all summer to get their squad right, and that should be that.

It would be more enjoyable that way, as you’d know exactly what the squad was all season, just allow clubs to build bigger squads over the summer, then players could dip in and out of form, injuries could be dealt with, and the whole squad plays their part, without the disruption and anxiety of who you might lose halfway through the campaign, and risk derailing the season.

But the scummy money men wouldn’t ever allow that, so here we are…

Last edited:
Trouble is we have a lot of Saturday followed by Tuesday football coming up. We have been pretty lucky so far in that Taylor has time to recover but even then the workload is quite a heavy for a 33 year old playing on his own up front.
Matty is 31 , turns 32 30th March !
Yes we do need a viable replacement as we have flogged him hard this season .

Matty is 31 , turns 32 30th March !
Yes we do need a viable replacement as we have flogged him hard this season .

I have every faith Matty is far from knackered and could easily offer another season so please, let's not write him off

However, planning for the future is definitely required

It's only my opinion but surely there's a young ambitious forward out there who would be desperate to come to Oxford Utd and make a name for himself. Our track record with young players is outstanding. I'm slightly confused how there isn't a queue at the door. I guess "bigger" clubs hold on to them????

Plus, I'd love to see our substantial (for league one) youth system start to push some more prospects out. Realistically, is there anyone who is coming through that we would bet our homes on being a starter within the next 18months?

Agyei replacement maybe? Defo one for the future.

Is he a striker or a forward? The latter implies anyone who can play winger or even AM nowadays in the age of fluid formations.

If he’s a challenger for Matty Taylor’s role then, the stats don’t look great - much the same as Agyei. If he’s more of a winger, then goal return isn’t as important.

I’ll let others do the digging on him.

Do you not think we would do exactly that if we could?!?

We’re not just sat around saying “let’s just wait until deadline day, for a laugh, it’ll be fine”

January is a tricky transfer window to get the right deals done, as teams will be losing players halfway through the season, so will need to make sure they can replace them or at least cope without them, before committing to letting them leave.

Personally, I’d scrap the January transfer window all together, as it just causes too much disruption. Teams had all summer to get their squad right, and that should be that.

It would be more enjoyable that way, as you’d know exactly what the squad was all season, just allow clubs to build bigger squads over the summer, then players could dip in and out of form, injuries could be dealt with, and the whole squad plays their part, without the disruption and anxiety of who you might lose halfway through the campaign, and risk detailing the season.

But the scummy money men wouldn’t ever allow that, so here we are…
Completely agree Mad Dog - this window should be scrapped. It causes so much unrest in squads, players on the move are rarely match fit & some clubs sign someone in desperation to appease fan pressure.

I have every faith Matty is far from knackered and could easily offer another season so please, let's not write him off

However, planning for the future is definitely required

It's only my opinion but surely there's a young ambitious forward out there who would be desperate to come to Oxford Utd and make a name for himself. Our track record with young players is outstanding. I'm slightly confused how there isn't a queue at the door. I guess "bigger" clubs hold on to them????

Plus, I'd love to see our substantial (for league one) youth system start to push some more prospects out. Realistically, is there anyone who is coming through that we would bet our homes on being a starter within the next 18months?
I'd imagine another couple of seasons easily tbh . Needs someone to push him / cover him better than what we have though .
Think Goodrham will be the first one of hopefully many in and around the first team squad next season

I'd imagine another couple of seasons easily tbh . Needs someone to push him / cover him better than what we have though .
Think Goodrham will be the first one of hopefully many in and around the first team squad next season

Sorry. Tangent, but speaking of Matty and pushes: what a superb push from Matty before our first goal on Saturday. The goalcam captures it in all its majesty. Who says we can't play dirty whne we need to?

Back
Top Bottom