Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

There's so much to take in on here so I thought that I'd try to summarise today but from both ends of the forum spectrum.

Friday - 39 year old Jermain Defoe WOW!!!
Monday - 27 year old Cole Stockton - f**k off Grandad!!!

The board need to back the team and spend big!
SIX f*****g GRAND.......A WEEK???

3pm - Jordan Thorniley is bang average at best
4pm - season over, we're doomed!!!

Hope that helps cut down on some of the reading for those just joining us!
Next Monday is going to be hell

There's so much to take in on here so I thought that I'd try to summarise today but from both ends of the forum spectrum.

Friday - 39 year old Jermain Defoe WOW!!!
Monday - 27 year old Cole Stockton - f**k off Grandad!!!

The board need to back the team and spend big!
SIX f*****g GRAND.......A WEEK???

3pm - Jordan Thorniley is bang average at best
4pm - season over, we're doomed!!!

Hope that helps cut down on some of the reading for those just joining us!
At least I never made any of those comments 😊

Again, I think it's all relevant. He may have been originally asking for £10k, Sunderland offer £8k but he prefers a new challenge with us but doesn't want to drop too far.

All complete speculation and guesswork of course, but it's difficult to judge until the dust settles.
Thought he said it wasn’t about the money?

All negotiations are about money to one level or another. But there's a difference between what someone perceives as their true value and greed. Or what someone is willing to pay and unprofessionalism.

Again, I think it's all relevant. He may have been originally asking for £10k, Sunderland offer £8k but he prefers a new challenge with us but doesn't want to drop too far.

All complete speculation and guesswork of course, but it's difficult to judge until the dust settles.

Out by a couple of grand for the Sunderland offer...

Pity about Defoe would have been exciting if it paid off.. But 6k alot of money for the likes of us.
Stockton would be a better buy long term if he could replicate his Morecambe form. The Cadden interest also good.

Although Defoe on the staff helping the guys with their finishing and encouraging the younger players would have been a positive for sure.

Hearing and Defoe scores for Oxford would have been sureal..

Just need to convert some of these rumours into signings now.

We don't know the reality of what happened, but IF KR is offering and agreeing to deals that the board don't want to sanction financially, that does seem pretty stupid, left hand not talking to the right hand springs to mind.

If it did happen as above, you wouldn't blame Defoe for telling us to do one when we try and reduce the wage offered.

Last edited:
So Defoe would have been fun, and filled a position of need.....

.....but, er, by my count we currently have exactly four defenders in our squad (unless you count what remains of Mousinho) and one of them is already injured.

Right now, I'd trade Defoe for two solid League One defenders. Because whilst I think we can muddle through with our current striking options, even if the depth isn't ideal - there's no way we make the playoffs if we try and play the second half of the season with one top notch centre half with a dodgy back, one super-talented but super-green CB that's learning his trade, an attacking LB who can't really defend and a Swiss Army knife of a RB that's having a bit of a down year!

I take that as read from anything you post tbh ;)

Defoe just doesn't add up for value for money. There have got to be some hidden gems in the premier and championship under 23 s that's where my money would be.

I think Defoe would be a waste of good transfer funds.
He couldn’t find a regular starting place for Rangers despite several injuries to their front line and I see that Brandon Barker is now seen as not good enough for them too.
Drawing a line between those two players for a moment, I fail to see the value in bringing Defoe (or Barker) here if he can’t get a game there.

I think Defoe would be a waste of good transfer funds.
He couldn’t find a regular starting place for Rangers despite several injuries to their front line and I see that Brandon Barker is now seen as not good enough for them too.
Drawing a line between those two players for a moment, I fail to see the value in bringing Defoe (or Barker) here if he can’t get a game there.
We all have a joke about Scottish football but they are in a team that just won the Scottish title and play in Europe regular.

It's not like they are a pub team full of scaffolders they are of a good standard.

£2.4k according to Salary Sport website.
Same website had us 7th in salary league table. Above us 1) Sheff Weds 2) Ipswich 3) Wigan 4) Charlton 5) Sunderland 6) Portsmouth..

Seems to tally with what some posters have said on here.

Same website had us 7th in salary league table. Above us 1) Sheff Weds 2) Ipswich 3) Wigan 4) Charlton 5) Sunderland 6) Portsmouth..

Seems to tally with what some posters have said on here.

You can see why someone at the club didn't want to sign defoe on 6k a week though. That's 1.4k more than our top earner Brannagan. Herbie Kane being paid 6.6k by Barnsley and us combined but has a lot of potential.

Of course, everything discussed amongst ourselves can only be conjecture and assumptions... (Perhaps with the exception of a few people that have inside info)...

But I can't help but feel that our need is great, and we're fast heading towards last orders.

We have several gaps that need to be filled. I really hope we aren't becoming desperate and sniffing around just anybody...
I hope there's still a level of ambition in whoever we are showing interest in.

Does anybody know, historically, at what point of the JTW we tend to do business?

Back
Top Bottom