Transfer News Jamie Mackie signs!

I think that Mosh is going to replace Dickie @ CB.

Depends on which one of our right footed CB's is the most comfortable playing on the left side!
Surprised that KR hasn't signed a left footed Centre Back so he could let go of Mousinho and Raglan.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Well quite.

Although I see no reason to discount penalties. Otherwise you might as well remove goals from free kicks, lucky mis-kicks and any deflections off the a**e of a fortunate striker!

It's ridiculous to assume that all penalties result in goals as well. Surely a good penalty taker is the sign of a good striker?

Maybe although I don’t think Messi has the best penalty record and he’s considered decent by some.

I grew up watching Moody belting the ball so that’s how I love to see a penalty being taken. Still brings a smile to my face remembering that Mous net ripper from near the end of last season.

Well quite.

Although I see no reason to discount penalties. Otherwise you might as well remove goals from free kicks, lucky mis-kicks and any deflections off the a**e of a fortunate striker!

If you discount penalties it ruins the ridiculous debate about 20 goal strikers and of course that is what so many people are convinced we need.

The stats do in fact completely disprove the need for a 20 goal striker, 30% of those played in a team that was promoted. So 3 out of the 10 promoted teams had a 20 goal striker and all of them scored them scored less than 20 without pens

Can we just agree that 20 goal strikers are nice to have but not essential ? Interestingly we scored more goals than some of those clubs as well

Depends on which one of our right footed CB's is the most comfortable playing on the left side!
Surprised that KR hasn't signed a left footed Centre Back so he could let go of Mousinho and Raglan.
I think Ragan will have squad no 22.

Rags played there against Ox City, played quite well imo

Well quite.

Rationale being that penalties artificially inflate goal numbers (which most go on when signing attacking players).

My point being that 20 goal strikers rarely exist when compared fairly, thus our expectation should reflect that...we can’t drop 1.5mill on a striker like some.

Dickie being kept out of the limelight of first team friendlies? Because he was so impressive at the end of last season?
Probably a conspiracy theory too far and KR just prefers Mous.

Mouse would be more useful as a DM

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I don’t think he’s been brought in to be a prolific goal scorer. I think he’s here to give some much needed experience, work hard and chip in here and there with a goal. My only concern is his injury record. It’s quite poor. Having said that I’m seeing him as a Dave Kitson type player (but better) that likes to get around the park and pull defenders about.

Off topic slightly I actually thought Kitson was decent from a talent point of view I just think he was a tad too intelligent for some (not all) of the squad at the time. He would play a ball down off his chest or have a little dunked through ball and some didn’t have the foresight to see what he was going to do.

Anyway I digress. Looking forward to seeing what Mackie can do.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I don’t think he’s been brought in to be a prolific goal scorer. I think he’s here to give some much needed experience, work hard and chip in here and there with a goal. My only concern is his injury record. It’s quite poor. Having said that I’m seeing him as a Dave Kitson type player (but better) that likes to get around the park and pull defenders about.

Off topic slightly I actually thought Kitson was decent from a talent point of view I just think he was a tad too intelligent for some (not all) of the squad at the time. He would play a ball down off his chest or have a little dunked through ball and some didn’t have the foresight to see what he was going to do.

Anyway I digress. Looking forward to seeing what Mackie can do.

You’re not wrong on Kitson. A bad apple sometimes as he is perhaps too clever for his own good and he clearly didn’t fancy putting his body on the line towards the end when it started failing him.

But despite a lack of class on leaving, he certainly showed a touch of class on the pitch. That wasn’t appreciated by many who expected him to score lots of goals given the level he had previously played at.

I’m not even suggesting he was a great signing as it only worked for about 5 months until THAT suspension before Christmas, after which things went rather sour across the board.

However, he did provide a little insight into how a hold-up player can take the pressure off the defence and intelligently bring younger, quicker players into the game in attacking areas.

After he left, in Hylton and Roofe we had two attacking players who were too good for L2 and we were dynamic enough from so many positions (COD, Baldock, JJK, Sercombe, Lundstram, Maguire, MacDonald - christ, what a team!!) that we didn’t need to have someone holding the ball up so much.

The last time we had someone who could play that role was Taylor and again he was generally under-appreciated by the fans.

The failure of Thomas, Obika, Mehmeti, Gino Van bloody Kessell and all of the other unbalanced combinations last season (thanks Pep) to hold the ball up effectively was evident for all to see. The lack of pace to launch any sort of counter-attack was also evident within weeks (again, thanks Pep) and nails were in the coffin when Hall got injured alongside the Captain.

KR knows this and the jigsaw is falling into place. Should be an interesting season for which I’m optimistic of improvements.

Last edited:
I’m personally delighted with Mackie. He’s obviously not going to score 20 a season but I’m sure he will be key in getting 20 a season. High work rate, bags of experience and know how and tough. Exactly what you need at this level. Great signing
Also as previously noted, bags of experience to pass on to the u23, academy. He may be looking to a future coaching job with us aswell.

Back
Top Bottom