Jamie Mackie

Having a bit of a statistics overload on this thread today.....:confused:

But here's Oxford's last five promotion seasons (and I haven't bothered to check how many were in the league, but assuming most):

2015-16 Leading scorer - Kemar Roofe (26)
2009-10 Leading scorer - James Constable (23)
1995-95 Leading scorer - Paul Moody (24)
1984-85 Leading scorer - John Aldridge (34)
1983-84 Leading scorer - Steve Biggins (24)

And the only other time we've ever reached the playoffs:

2006-07 Leading scorer - Rob Duffy (21).

Whilst accepting all the arguments that people are making about the game changing, and the importance of getting goals from all over the team - the fact is that it's been more than 50 years since OUFC has gained promotion or a playoff place without a 20 goal scorer!
The 83/4 and 84/5 teams were, of course, freaks. 83/4 would have had vinter and whatmore as well as biggins, who must have got close to 15 goals as well, and 84/5 would have had Hamilton who must have got near 15 as well. How we were set up meant we had 2 prolific strikers in the side at once, no wonder we scored so many goals.

cos it's league 1. those with good strikers have poor players in other areas. we got good keeper, wingers but no striker. the only teams with all areas covered are the ones pushing for promotion with bigger budgets
(maybe? just my theory on it)

A bit silly to make a statement like that.
What about Luton, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Doncaster?

A bit silly to make a statement like that.
What about Luton, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Doncaster?
exactly my point. teams with the best budgets and at the top have good players throughout the team. Rochdale have Henderson who is a good striker, but some of their defenders are bang average. You said some teams manage to get good strikers, like Shrewsbury with Eaves, and they're struggling. doesn't guarantee you promotion having a 20 goal per season striker alone

The 83/4 and 84/5 teams were, of course, freaks. 83/4 would have had vinter and whatmore as well as biggins, who must have got close to 15 goals as well, and 84/5 would have had Hamilton who must have got near 15 as well. How we were set up meant we had 2 prolific strikers in the side at once, no wonder we scored so many goals.

Just reading all these names makes me so nostalgic.
83-85 what a time that was. For those who weren’t around its impossible to put into words how great it was.
For at relatively brief period we played some of the best football in the country. How lucky we were..

So I realize I'm harping back on the same points as last week......

.....but was I the only one that felt that we would have won yesterday if we had a genuine goalscorer and finisher up front?

Sinclair was terrific when it came to putting pressure on the oppo, chasing down lost causes and generally being a nuisance up front, and Mackie did his usual when he came on.

But there were several glorious balls played into the box (Garbutt early in the second half being the #1 example) where I feel that if we'd have a front man that instinctively knew how to get into goalscoring positions, then they'd have converted some of our good approach play.

I understand that we're in League One, therefore you can't have everything. But I would love to see up sign a poacher next season to complement and offer an alternative to the good work we're getting from Mackie (and hopefully more from Sinclair).

exactly my point. teams with the best budgets and at the top have good players throughout the team. Rochdale have Henderson who is a good striker, but some of their defenders are bang average. You said some teams manage to get good strikers, like Shrewsbury with Eaves, and they're struggling. doesn't guarantee you promotion having a 20 goal per season striker alone
Eaves plays for Gillingham!!

So I realize I'm harping back on the same points as last week......

.....but was I the only one that felt that we would have won yesterday if we had a genuine goalscorer and finisher up front?

Sinclair was terrific when it came to putting pressure on the oppo, chasing down lost causes and generally being a nuisance up front, and Mackie did his usual when he came on.

But there were several glorious balls played into the box (Garbutt early in the second half being the #1 example) where I feel that if we'd have a front man that instinctively knew how to get into goalscoring positions, then they'd have converted some of our good approach play.

I understand that we're in League One, therefore you can't have everything. But I would love to see up sign a poacher next season to complement and offer an alternative to the good work we're getting from Mackie (and hopefully more from Sinclair).
Hoping Portsmouth go up...would luv us to get Pittman for a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom