Transfer News Jamie Mackie signs!

Until yesterday, like most of us would agree, he had not impressed. However he did yesterday, and I ageee that he could well be better than Obika in that role, and Smith, although Smith has more speed,
He does need to get match fit, he is strong and yes had that nous we have been missing
He was also unselfish and set up Holmes

Makes a nuisance of himself, perfect to come on and protect a lead. Never the quickest or most skilful but he’ll give us a bit of hassle and experience to hold the games we’ll need this season.

Until yesterday, like most of us would agree, he had not impressed. However he did yesterday, and I ageee that he could well be better than Obika in that role, and Smith, although Smith has more speed,
He does need to get match fit, he is strong and yes had that nous we have been missing
He was also unselfish and set up Holmes
It was Henry who set up Holmes for his goal.

Interesting in as much as I must have been at a different ground. AS far as Mackie was concerned all I asw was that when the ball got to him whatever the move he was involved in died the death. OK if your hanging on like grim death for a result then he might be useful. Otherwise not good enough to be a starter.

Interesting in as much as I must have been at a different ground. AS far as Mackie was concerned all I asw was that when the ball got to him whatever the move he was involved in died the death. OK if your hanging on like grim death for a result then he might be useful. Otherwise not good enough to be a starter.

Mackie hassled their back 4 from the second he came on and made them rush several clearances that allowed us to win the ball back again. I don't know if he's yet got the legs to do that from the start but I can see either him or Smith starting and the other coming on in the last 30 mins to take advantage of a tired defence. Neither will be Bazzers 20 goal a season but should hopefully bring Henry, Holmes, Browne and Whyte in to the game more.

Mackie hassled their back 4 from the second he came on and made them rush several clearances that allowed us to win the ball back again. I don't know if he's yet got the legs to do that from the start but I can see either him or Smith starting and the other coming on in the last 30 mins to take advantage of a tired defence. Neither will be Bazzers 20 goal a season but should hopefully bring Henry, Holmes, Browne and Whyte in to the game more.

Which is what we expected from Mackie. He brings experience, harrying the defence, backing in to CBs winning free kicks. Put pace around him and I think he is a decent option up top.

Twin that with his changing room influence and I think he could be an asset

The critics of Mackie have reminded me of the critics of Henry and Mousinho previously both who are now being lauded on here, me thinks the same will happen with Mackie when he's fully fit and when he plays which will not be every game obviously

The critics of Mackie have reminded me of the critics of Henry and Mousinho previously both who are now being lauded on here, me thinks the same will happen with Mackie when he's fully fit and when he plays which will not be every game obviously
But I think with Mackie, the criticisms of him are BECAUSE he isn't fit. You can only comment on what you see, and if what you see is someone who is miles off the pace then that's what will be said. I don't think anyone doubts that he is/was a talented footballer, but he simply isn't fit. And a decent 20 minutes against a very poor Burton side who seemed to have already thrown their cards in is not enough to demonstrate (at least to me) that he will be able to play a major part in our season. I have been critical of him so far, and if/when he gets fit and is more effective I will praise him - that won't be because I've just changed my mind randomly, it will be because he has shown what he can do.

Mackie showed nothing in the first 3 games he started I think it fair to say the critics as you put it have a right to there opinions on him being sh1tte to start with, if he performs like he that for another 6 games in a row & not just a cameo appearance he’ll soon win over a lot of our fans on here who have a massive question mark over him at this minute

Interesting how 20 minutes seems to have changed many people’s thoughts about Mackie.
Also interesting how some old fool near me was saying that how rubbish Norman was for the entire game!!!

Basically, some people it seems have no idea about football whilst others wait before condemning everyone who signs!!!

I think Mackie looked much better because for the first time he got played in his preferred position. He also looked far more mobile. His post match interview was fairly revealing. Boy
- can he talk. Not much of a Scots accent is there? ?

Mackie looked a bit better but missed a pretty easy chance. Needs to take his chances.

Met a footballer on holiday last week who played with Mackie at Reading & QPR. Told him that Mackie hasn’t had a great start and that he isn’t too popular with the fans so far. He told me that we will see a different player when he’s 100% fit saying “trust me he’ll come good” and almost made me feel guilty for doubting him.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Met a footballer on holiday last week who played with Mackie at Reading & QPR. Told him that Mackie hasn’t had a great start and that he isn’t too popular with the fans so far. He told me that we will see a different player when he’s 100% fit saying “trust me he’ll come good” and almost made me feel guilty for doubting him.

Bit odd to not name the footballer you spoke with. Signed a NDA? [emoji6]

Last edited:
Who said he’s not popular?!

Mikele Leigertwood. Both at QPR in 2010-2013 & Reading in 2014. Didn’t name him because not my style to name drop but seeing as you asked ?

As for him not being popular (at the moment) you’ll see plenty of people commenting on here that his legs have gone etc.

Back
Top Bottom