Transfer News Jamie Mackie signs!

Not fit enough to play tomorrow. Has be done pre-season with QPR up to the point of signing for us?

Rationale being that penalties artificially inflate goal numbers (which most go on when signing attacking players).

My point being that 20 goal strikers rarely exist when compared fairly, thus our expectation should reflect that...we can’t drop 1.5mill on a striker like some.

Kane - Golden boot winner springs to mind

Said in his interview he is fit - makes no sense to say he wont play today as he has no pre season minutes - chicken/egg - this is exactly when they should be getting game time

It's our first proper competitive friendly and I'd imagine KR will be looking to see how the players get on in the system he wants to play, which Mackie probably isn't familiar with yet.

4-3-2-1? Maybe he just cant drop Obika (who may not have looked brilliant but has been in the right place @ right time)
GK and backs we all know, Midfield of Brannigan, Carruthers, Whyte with Henry in the 10 role alongisde Hall with Obika alone up front? KR likes to play 1 up top

He was only on for about 10 minutes but he looked like he was running in sand most of the time. I’m sure he’ll improve with matches but I think the season will begin to fast for him.

Obviously Mackie's had a bit of stick in the first few games, so good to hear that he's looked more effective coming on yesterday. In case you missed it, he was interviewed by RadOx after the game and it was probably the longest ever post-match interview I've ever heard (over 8 minutes!). But very interesting to hear him talking about fitness (or lack of) due to lack of pre-season, and his confidence that he will improve. And if anyone was in any doubt as to his desire to keep playing as long as possible, and making a significant contribution on the pitch (including scoring his fair share of goals from a central position), then I think a listen to the interview would dispel that. Hope it works out for him (and us). Sounds like a decent guy. The interview can be heard here https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06hbhgs#play at about 32.5 minutes.

Obviously Mackie's had a bit of stick in the first few games, so good to hear that he's looked more effective coming on yesterday. In case you missed it, he was interviewed by RadOx after the game and it was probably the longest ever post-match interview I've ever heard (over 8 minutes!). But very interesting to hear him talking about fitness (or lack of) due to lack of pre-season, and his confidence that he will improve. And if anyone was in any doubt as to his desire to keep playing as long as possible, and making a significant contribution on the pitch (including scoring his fair share of goals from a central position), then I think a listen to the interview would dispel that. Hope it works out for him (and us). Sounds like a decent guy. The interview can be heard here https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06hbhgs#play at about 32.5 minutes.
Great to hear he was much improved - cover for Henry though and can only play a 10 if he has no pace - I am sure though that in his ifollow interview when he signed, he said he had a good pre season and was fit and ready. Seems he wasnt

Great interview that gave some insight.

Clear that Holmes, Mackie, Mousinho run the dressing room and see their role to help the younger players also.

I thought he was effective yesterday. Held the ball up well, had a good battle with the CB and took pressure off winning fouls. I would say more effective at holding the ball than Obika.

A note to Smith...great shot for Henry’s goal, made good runs and was a handful

He could play up top with Browne and Whyte either side of him, they are both quick and full of running. Mackie isn’t ready for that role yet, he needs to get fully fit, but when he is could see him up top, has experience, strength and when up to speed is a grafter who could bring Whyte, Browne, Henry and Holmes (our goal scorers) into the game.

Great interview that gave some insight.

Clear that Holmes, Mackie, Mousinho run the dressing room and see their role to help the younger players also.

I thought he was effective yesterday. Held the ball up well, had a good battle with the CB and took pressure off winning fouls. I would say more effective at holding the ball than Obika.

A note to Smith...great shot for Henry’s goal, made good runs and was a handful

THAT bit of skill when he chested it on the very edge of the pitch.

It has been clear that so far we've lacked a bit of 'nous' - call it game management, positioning, tactics, whatever. Both Mackie and Holmes contributed greatly to this when they came on.

Ha to laugh - KR says (a little unkindly IMO) that Holmes is a Maverick and "different" (Aspergers?) but listening to his interview he came across so much better than KR ever does,. Its you Karl who is very clearly "different"!

Interesting that he thinks his best position will be at the lone striker. I agree with him. He showed in his appearance yesterday that his hold up play is better that Smith's and Obika's, and I think his work rate will be better suited to hassling centre backs than tracking full backs.

Back
Top Bottom