How to complete the season

Limited supporter attendance is relatively easy to resolve. ST Holders only utilising the whole ground and family grouping. :)

However we do not have enough understanding of the virus, it`s transmission, its behaviour, the medicines needed to fight it or immunity at this moment in time.

Can this season, weighted PPG for promotions, and then start planning next season with a start delayed until Sept/Oct.

Start selling Season Tickets , potentially with a donation factor attached, and rebuild from there.

Sunderland have released a statement this morning - https://www.safc.com/news/club-news/2020/may/club-statement-20-may-2020

Whilst Salary Caps at L1 and L2 level are being mooted. Additionally, there will be a vote around squad size, with 20 professionals being a suggested figure.
Suits me. Nico and Malachi might get a game then, and 'big' teams like ahem Sunderland won't be able to keep huge overpaid squads. Would be difficult for clubs coming down from the championship though, how would they reduce the pay of contracted players to meet the salary cap? Maybe there should be a salary cap in the championship. And the premiership.

Last edited:
EFL will start playing hardball with LG1 clubs if they all can't agree on void or finish the season with condition of no legal action.

EFL will start playing hardball with LG1 clubs if they all can't agree on void or finish the season with condition of no legal action.
Indeed. Expecting in the next few meetings if not resolved they'll pull rank and hold a vote between 2 options - simple plurality of votes wins.

So on the basis that it is decided that promotions are going to happen and that 3 get relegated from the Championship requiring 3 to go up from League 1 and there is no more football played this season, the EFL have the responsibility to select the method that is fairest to give the best probable result which if it was to be decided in court any judge would be able to uphold. Which is weighted PPG. Or some even more advanced mathematical algorithm that gives an even better probable solution and that will give a different result for the top 3 positions. There can be absolutely no argument. And if the EFL select something different then they are just plain stupid.

The problem lies that the EFL may say that 2 to go up automatically, and say 1 more up via the play offs with the next 4 teams involved in 5 more games, but then those games don't happen. And if they have used the simple method of unweighted PPG putting Wycombe 3rd just for the sake of choosing play off teams to which no one argues in the expectation the games will happen so placings don't really matter, if the play off games can't proceed Wycombe are then sat in 3rd place using an unfair method of placing selection and are likely to be promoted due to the lack of forethought by the other clubs and particularly Oxford United. How 3rd place is chosen is therefore really important at this point just in case something happens later on that becomes critically important to the table placings.

.I doubt many season ticket holders will ask for a refund I certainly will not, I will will consider it a donation to the club. We all have to try to do are bit if we can afford too. We all have to come together to try to get out of this mess.

I think you’re wrong, plenty will have their hand out wanting some sort of refund and I wouldn’t necessarily blame them. Personally I won’t look for any money back but why should, say, a parent with two kids give up a combined 15 matches as a donation to the club ? That’s some gift ! There must be enough money swooshing around in the top echelons of OUFC to bail us out of this mess rather than go cap in hand to the punter.

I think you’re wrong, plenty will have their hand out wanting some sort of refund and I wouldn’t necessarily blame them. Personally I won’t look for any money back but why should, say, a parent with two kids give up a combined 15 matches as a donation to the club ? That’s some gift ! There must be enough money swooshing around in the top echelons of OUFC to bail us out of this mess rather than go cap in hand to the punter.

You could also look at the wider picture as a Nation of your future and that of your children and Grandchildren who are all going to pay for this bail out for years to come and you've accepted 80% of wages Grants etc in most cases but are happy to let £60 + ride with a minor football club.

I saw on Facebook (so probably B*****s) that it is a straight vote on Friday between finishing the season or non weighted ppg for automatics, play offs and relegation. Which I assume means we end up in the play offs against Pompey and those games will be behind closed doors.

I wonder which way we will vote if they are the two options? We might be better off just going down the play off route. It looks like the weighted ppg ship has sailed, I think league 2 agreeing on standard ppg ended the debate, the FL won’t allow different models used for their divisions.

Apart from the Championship, which will be allowed to do what it likes.

I think they are to scared of a lawsuit from a team at the top of the championship to argue, when promotion is worth £200 million i suppose that’s fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom