Matches Homophobic chanting

I can't speak for others, but for me I think club colours are sacrosanct, and I would be against a change from yellow, whether it was to a rainbow kit, a red kit, a blue kit or any other coloured kit.

Lots of other ways we can support equality, as we absolutely should, I just don't think changing our home shirt colour is the answer.

I would certainly hope that no-one is suggesting we change the home kit colours!

I can't speak for others, but for me I think club colours are sacrosanct, and I would be against a change from yellow, whether it was to a rainbow kit, a red kit, a blue kit or any other coloured kit.

Lots of other ways we can support equality, as we absolutely should, I just don't think changing our home shirt colour is the answer.
Completely agree don’t touch the home kit. However a third kit with some sort of rainbow design even if it was just incorporated on to one of the sleeves could go down well, could even donate a small amount to a lgbtq charity for every kit sold. Would make a statement and would probably bring a lot of good media attention to the club too.

Completely agree don’t touch the home kit. However a third kit with some sort of rainbow design even if it was just incorporated on to one of the sleeves could go down well, could even donate a small amount to a lgbtq charity for every kit sold. Would make a statement and would probably bring a lot of good media attention to the club too.

*donate all profits

My differing viewpoint is this...... we all have one thing in common, our football club.

It is the one thing that unites us all irrespective of anything else. I don`t care if the person stood next to me is pink, yellow, brown, black, gay, trans or from Mars they are there for the same reason as me.

I wouldn`t buy a rainbow kit, but if the club wants to sell them and folk want to buy them then carry on.

No issue with recognising minorities either, if the need is judged to be there, or as part of a national campaign such as the rainbow laces, kick it out etc etc.

Education is the key and taking the broad brush to 1800 travelling fans for the moronic actions of maybe 20 people is not how the world should work.

Sadly, how the world should work and does work are to often two separate things.

The headlines are that OUFC fans were involved in homophobic chanting. This makes me feel sick and embarrassed.

If I have to wear a rainbow for a year to educate the couple of people who strayed into lazy/ugly goalkeeper baiting, I'll do it.

I think we can all agree that however lazy and disappointing the chant was, it didn't feel like a disgusting hate filled rant directed at the LGBT community.
(Please correct me as appropriate)

However, I think it's fair to say we don't want anything remotely like this at the club that we all* love so dearly

I would wager every LGBTQ+ fan and ally at OUFC would agree with that 100%. IF something was done with the kit, third kit is the one to do it on, and it should be subtle. Home kit should be yellow and blue only without question.

*donate all profits

Which was going to be the suggestion I made. Club simply donate the profits or partof.

Education is key. If we were to have a rainbow-influenced away shirt, then it would potentially go some way to helping the bigots with their issues. It can be as subtle as we want, but if it's a talking point, then wonderful.

The FA have done lots of wonderful things to be more diverse and educate. The rainbow laces were a huge success and in grassroots football, the demand for them (they were offered free by County FA's) outstripped supply. Kids/young people wanted to wear them, boys and girls, as that's the generation that will see through society's problems with all forms of discrimination.

This club is diverse and looks after all of our society. They react positively to challenges, such as when the Bronze Ox was covered in paint, an opportunity was identified to raise awareness for cancer, if I recall.

Was anybody suggesting that? I don't think they were. It should be taken as read that it'd be an away/third/limited edition kit.

Sadly, how the world should work and does work are to often two separate things.

The headlines are that OUFC fans were involved in homophobic chanting. This makes me feel sick and embarrassed.

If I have to wear a rainbow for a year to educate the couple of people who strayed into lazy/ugly goalkeeper baiting, I'll do it.

I think we can all agree that however lazy and disappointing the chant was, it didn't feel like a disgusting hate filled rant directed at the LGBT community.
(Please correct me as appropriate)

However, I think it's fair to say we don't want anything remotely like this at the club that we all* love so dearly
It made me physically sick too and I also lost control of my bowels and nearly suffered a pulmonary embolism.

Was that in SSL? There was an idiot in one of the boxes with a very loud voice shouting 'rubbish' at various players. Me and my mate eventually shouted at him to shut up, but from a safe distance (I'm a total keyboard warrior).
Nope...North Stand..

Good for you re SSL situation. Most of these people aren’t used to being challenged. If done the right way I think most will be reasonable.

Nope...North Stand..

Good for you re SSL situation. Most of these people aren’t used to being challenged. If done the right way I think most will be reasonable.
Although I also told this guy to shut up and got a very menacing response for my trouble.

Nope...North Stand..

It was just a cross shout, don't think I particularly did it in the right way. There was a funny moment when he shouted 'you're rubbish Sercombe' so loudly that the player heard and laughed.

Back to the "third kit", some people identify themselves as LGBTQ+ in public with for instance rainbow boot laces / badges / lanyards etc.

Is the average heterosexual male football fan really going to buy a rainbow trimmed 3rd kit if it implicitly identifies you as above?

And then will the LGBTQ+ will complain that straight / CIS people are stealing "their" flag and fashions?

Back to the "third kit", some people identify themselves as LGBTQ+ in public with for instance rainbow boot laces / badges / lanyards etc.

Is the average heterosexual male football fan really going to buy a rainbow trimmed 3rd kit if it implicitly identifies you as above?

And then will the LGBTQ+ will complain that straight / CIS people are stealing "their" flag and fashions?
It's a valid point - I think it relies on the messaging that comes with the kit I guess. If on the press release that comes with every kit it mentions the kit has been made to show support and solidarity to the LGBTQ+ community at OUFC, and with profits, or a percentage of, going to an LGBTQ+ charity then I don't think it would be seen as an identifier or as stealing at all.

It could even become a tradition at OUFC where the third kit each season has some kind of messaging/charitable interlinking with it - I'm sure a kit that raises awareness and support for victims of domestic abuse, or for a charity like Teenage Cancer Trust would be well received and show OUFC as the positive and progressive club it is.

At this point a lot of this is fans spitballing ideas of how we/the club can show support to people who may have been affected on Saturday - in reality a kit probably won't happen, and the heat from this will have died down by the time the next kits are being designed too. And I'm sure the response would have been exactly the same if god forbid there was racist abuse.

these three might have a case to claim theft of ( rainbow) identity though?

download.jpg

I’m supportive. However to Colin’s question …

Only vaguely legitimate reason I could think of for people to object is the idea that politics and sports shouldn’t be mixed.

Now personally I think inclusion goes beyond politics, however I’m aware that for some people this becomes a political / religious discussion etc. and I also remember the first day of my politics degree hearing “everything personal is political”

Been to the recent local away games at MK and Wycombe and the 'Sex Offender' chant has been regularly rolled out by a sizeable section of the crowd. Not sure what it's seeking to achieve other than to get us in this kind of trouble.

Not homophobic as such (unless you mis-interpret the use of the word 'Bender') but in any case...problematic.
Not homophobic, no, but I would argue equally sick, offensive and unnecessary.

Can we please cut this one out of our repertoire with immediate effect too.,.....

I'm supportive of a second or third kit having a rainbow motif somewhere in it. Throw in the charity element (that could be a running theme each year like @Jolteon says) and you have a kit that could be a collector's item and makes some cash for club and charity. All good.

Let's keep it tasteful though. One bugbear of mine is the cringeworthy one-upmanship that the Remembrance Day poppy has become where seemingly more and more people go to stranger lengths to show how they show that 'lest we forget'. Wearing a poppy and sticking a quid in a Royal British Legion charity box isn't enough nowadays with full blown trench scenes set up outside some people's houses and endless silhouettes of the soldier popping up everywhere. Football has had it's cringe moments with this too. Hartlepool's tawdry 2020 kit for one and this tasteful homage to our fallen too (I mean, the shoes on it. I can't ...)

Let's keep it simple and subtle for design purposes but go big on what the message is there for. A full blown rainbow kit may be well meaning but a bit too heavy handed. It's got to be functional as a wearable football kit too. A collar and sleeve trim, a rainbow sash on a plain colour shirt or simply some sleeve badges is sufficient in my book.

Been to the recent local away games at MK and Wycombe and the 'Sex Offender' chant has been regularly rolled out by a sizeable section of the crowd. Not sure what it's seeking to achieve other than to get us in this kind of trouble.

Not homophobic as such (unless you mis-interpret the use of the word 'Bender') but in any case...problematic.
It’s nicked from Newcastle first I think who were singing it at Ronaldo who is facing a civil lawsuit regarding damages from a sexual assault claim against him.

We can sing better songs than that, can’t we?

I would be happy to buy the 3rd kit if it had a small rainbow badge on it , more than happy to buy a pink shirt but a full on rainbow shirt in my view would look ridiculous

Back
Top Bottom