Matches Homophobic chanting

Do the "LGBT community" actually want things like this though? Some people are gay and that's totally fine and normal. Would gay OUFC fans actually want this? Happy to be told I'm wrong.

Also think about anyone who cares (straight or gay)

I reckon enough people would want that shirt and club statement

Do the "LGBT community" actually want things like this though? Some people are gay and that's totally fine and normal. Would gay OUFC fans actually want this? Happy to be told I'm wrong.
It's not about how the kit looks (whether it's a nice or garish design). It's about the message of support and acceptance it sends out.

Many of the houses here in Brighton fly LGBTQ+ flags, whether because the people in them identify as so, or whether they are allies showing support. People feel safe to express themselves in this city because of it. Just yesterday, while watching an elderly couple of men walk down the street holding hands and stop to give each other a kiss, I thought of how crazy it is that this wouldn't be accepted as commonplace in other cities.

Linked to this, I defo think as individual fans most of us could do more to challenge chanting that is patently wrong; or even shouting stuff that is overly negative / repetitively negative etc.

My experience at the Cheltenham home game was being affected by what can only be described a 'loud mouth buffoon'. Whatever the team did, he shouted that they should have done the opposite. Plenty around me had their heads in their hands, and he was clearly annoying others. I'd had enough after a while and politely challenged him, he was a little quieter in the 2nd half. A couple of people at the end said 'well done.'

I appreciate not everyone feels comfortable challenging others. I'm a 45 year old male, and would think twice about approaching a group but will definitely continue to challenge individuals when I think they are being out of order.

The Cheltenham chap annoyed me because he had such a booming voice, that he could have used it so more productively i.e. to get some decent chants going.

I certainly think it should be done in the right way to not come across as a pro-LGBT+ cash grab. When pride season comes around every company wants to get in on the action by sticking their logo to a rainbow flag, and it can look a bit cheap and unfashionable, especially when it's clothing. Us in the community can see right through things like that.

I'd prefer a pink shirt personally, with a percentage of profits going to local LGBT+ charities. It also means it's universal enough to be used in more away games, and will be bought by more fans than a rainbow one would. Another alternative would be to have a white strip with a rainbow trim, like the Bristol Pitbulls ice hockey team recently did for a pride game.

I0I8412-1024x683.jpg

Last edited:
Linked to this, I defo think as individual fans most of us could do more to challenge chanting that is patently wrong; or even shouting stuff that is overly negative / repetitively negative etc.

My experience at the Cheltenham home game was being affected by what can only be described a 'loud mouth buffoon'. Whatever the team did, he shouted that they should have done the opposite. Plenty around me had their heads in their hands, and he was clearly annoying others. I'd had enough after a while and politely challenged him, he was a little quieter in the 2nd half. A couple of people at the end said 'well done.'

I appreciate not everyone feels comfortable challenging others. I'm a 45 year old male, and would think twice about approaching a group but will definitely continue to challenge individuals when I think they are being out of order.

The Cheltenham chap annoyed me because he had such a booming voice, that he could have used it so more productively i.e. to get some decent chants going.
Was that in SSL? There was an idiot in one of the boxes with a very loud voice shouting 'rubbish' at various players. Me and my mate eventually shouted at him to shut up, but from a safe distance (I'm a total keyboard warrior).

I certainly think it should be done in the right way to not come across as a pro-LGBT+ cash grab. When pride season comes around every company wants to get in on the action by sticking their logo to a rainbow flag, and it can look a bit cheap and unfashionable, especially when it's clothing.

I'd prefer a pink shirt personally, with a percentage of profits going to local LGBT+ charities. Another alternative would be to have a white strip with a rainbow trim, like the Bristol Pitbulls ice hockey team recently did for a pride game.

View attachment 7859
Agree about it not being a massive cash-grab. I think a sash/ring/under-sleeve stripe/etc somewhere on a white shirt would work very well.

@werthersoriginal Pink has traditionally been seen as a "girl's colour", which is why some people see it as a "gay colour". Not all gay men associate with being "girly", nor appreciate being grouped under that label. That's where the rainbow flag works well, as the idea is it is all-encompassing.

Last edited:
Erm I'm quite woke and all that but that just makes me think of depressing hippies juggling! I'd go for a pink strip, that would look good.

I definitely have no eye for design, it was the concept or message I was trying to illustrate

Note: Other packages other than Micro-soft paint are available

Agree about it not being a massive cash-grab. Don't think going pink is the one though.

@werthersoriginal Pink has always been seen as a "girl's colour", which is why some people see it as a "gay colour". Not all gay men associate with being "girly", nor appreciate being grouped under that label. That's where the rainbow flag works well, as the idea is it is all-encompassing.
OK happy to be picked up on that. I really like the idea of a gesture of some kind but I do want it to look good.

For me personally there is a yes and no to your question.
1...yes, I want these kind of statements made because I want the world to know that i exist and whether it's LGBTQ+ or other minority groups or just you 'normal' guys/gal's we are here for one thing and that is to support our team Oxford United.
I am a transgender woman I never hide that and never will. I'm open to chat with people about how being trans affects my life be it family or work related. But I'm really OK if people don't want to. When I first told people about my gender identity at work my friends said that 'can you educate us' as I was the first trans woman that many had met or worked with to help them understand and improve my life. Which is what we all want.
2....No, I'm not asking for anything special or to be treated differently from any other person. Here is a simple thing that can make the world of difference to my day..
I'm walking down the street, I don't want people to think hear comes that trans women I'd better speak to her. I want people to say "hello Rosie it's a lovely day, going to the game today" etc.
It's the simple things in life that can make the world of difference that goes for all of us.
CoYY'S

Agree about it not being a massive cash-grab. Don't think going pink is the one though.

@werthersoriginal Pink has traditionally been seen as a "girl's colour", which is why some people see it as a "gay colour". Not all gay men associate with being "girly", nor appreciate being grouped under that label. That's where the rainbow flag works well, as the idea is it is all-encompassing.
Technically, if you want to be all-encompassing you'd use the progress flag, but that's probably too many colours to get onto one football shirt:

lgbt-pride-flag-redesign-hero.jpg

I don't think the message with a pink shirt is to say 'this is a gay colour which is why we've picked it'. It's normalising wearing pink as a men's coloured shirt, which is what the issue was in the first place. It's doing a little bit in breaking down the stigma of wearing certain clothes.

Speaking as a gay man, I would 100% buy a pink shirt because I could actually use it in a lot more contexts than a rainbow one. If it was a rainbow one, it'd look more garish and would only feel comfortable wearing in a select few places.

To me that looks like a child’s t-shirt, the white away shirt with a rainbow sash would be better imho

I kind of love that your genuinely considering and critiquing my micro-soft paint design.

Just so everyone knows, my fashion and ability to assess design is very limited. Sometimes, I mess up buying a pair of black socks

Technically, if you want to be all-encompassing you'd use the progress flag, but that's probably too many colours to get onto one football shirt:

View attachment 7860

I don't think the message with a pink shirt is to say 'this is a gay colour which is why we've picked it'. It's normalising wearing pink as a men's coloured shirt, which is what the issue was in the first place. It's doing a little bit in breaking down the stigma of wearing certain clothes.

Speaking as a gay man, I would 100% buy a pink shirt because I could actually use it in a lot more contexts than a rainbow one. If it was a rainbow one, it'd look more garish and would only feel comfortable wearing in a select few places.
Absolutely that (re the flag).

Good point on the pink shirt too. I suppose it depends on what you're going for - making a bold statement about supporting a cause, or normalising things step by step. I've got a pink/lilac jumper which so far has generally brought the response "nice jumper", until I went to visit family in Italy last month, and got laughed at for the colour (but they're still very backward).

lets not get wrapped up in this by now demanding a pink or rainbow kit/shirt the worlds gone mad i tell you.

lets not get wrapped up in this by now demanding a pink or rainbow kit/shirt the worlds gone mad i tell you.
Lol, demand is such a strong word. We're just Oxford fans who'd like the club to produce a certain piece of merchandise. That club's welcome to not take our suggestions on board at all, all we're doing is flagging up interest for a potential product in order to make a positive difference out of a negative action.

I completely agree with "not going mad" and it doesn't need to be a playing shirt...

but equally, why not?

This year we've got three or four squad shirts (I lose count as well as not being able to design) ...and a further three or four retro shirts for sale in the club shop.

Surely, there's scope to add it to the future possible ideas list?

Bring back this I say with abit more pink in it.

Would look good! 👍🏻

Attachments

• 2C2C4967-68E6-4DA7-8D7A-B7D948C94B7E.jpeg
    2C2C4967-68E6-4DA7-8D7A-B7D948C94B7E.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 8
Thing is...

I wouldn't buy a pink kit "to raise awareness", because a pink shirt doesn't necessarily say "I am supporting LGBTQ+". We had that pink keeper's kit, for example. If you see me walking down the street wearing it, or playing in a park, it's not an expression of support or raising awareness. It's just a pink kit at the end of the day.

I would, however, buy a kit with the rainbow/progressive colours displayed on it, and wear it with more pride, because it is a clearer message that I, and my club, are vocal in our support of the cause.

As a point of note, considering our international investors/owners/board members (Thailand, Indonesia, Israel, Germany):

Homosexuality is not illegal in any of their countries, however gay marriage is not recognised in any, other than Germany.

It is illegal in Malaysia, which neighbours Indonesia.

Back
Top Bottom