Matches Homophobic chanting

A polite rebuke, if I may. Zaki Nuseibeh is a Palestinian, and Palestine (which has a seat at the United Nations) is a country occupied by a Jewish colony. If we're talking about supporting oppressed minorities it would be (imo) a shame to ignore their persecution.

I've never bought a football shirt in my life but I'd be very happy to wear an OUFC rainbow / LGBT+ flag to wind up the coterie of bigots who play walking football around where I live.
I stand corrected re his nationality. From what t'internet tells me though, homosexuality is illegal in "Occupied Palestinian Territory (Gaza Strip)".

I can't speak for others, but for me I think club colours are sacrosanct, and I would be against a change from yellow, whether it was to a rainbow kit, a red kit, a blue kit or any other coloured kit.

Lots of other ways we can support equality, as we absolutely should, I just don't think changing our home shirt colour is the answer.
Agree with you 100% Colin, the home colours should only ever be Yellow and blue.
There are other ways the club can support this issue if they choose to, an away kit, yes but also things like scaffs with a Rainbow emblem or t-shirt with the club badge super exposed over a Rainbow emblem.

My opinion for what it's worth is for the Club to come up with say 3 templates of a shirt with a variety of designs.
Put it to a vote of every person with a fan number.
Produce X amount of the winning shirt and do a big launch stating a large amount of our fanbase found the behaviour of a small majority of our fans abhorrent,
The fans chose the shirt and agree that negative behaviour regarding Race, Religion and Sexuality have no place at this club and hopefully no others

Why would we want to be the first club to have rainbow shirts though ? We are a football club not some political movement. As I’ve said previously, I have no problem with a persons sexual preferences but there would be zero chance of me buying anything advertising LBGT. It isn’t that I don’t appreciate everyone’s desire to be accepted, I do, but it isn’t life or death. If a football club want to get involved in making statements I can think of a whole load more worthy cases - drugs, knife crime, bullying, abuse etc.

This is wokeism gone mental if we go down the LBGT route - a persons sexual preference, or acceptance of it, is not a priority in any sense of the word. Not in a world where lives, young lives, are being destroyed daily.

Get a grip and see what’s really important.

Why would we want to be the first club to have rainbow shirts though ? We are a football club not some political movement. As I’ve said previously, I have no problem with a persons sexual preferences but there would be zero chance of me buying anything advertising LBGT. It isn’t that I don’t appreciate everyone’s desire to be accepted, I do, but it isn’t life or death. If a football club want to get involved in making statements I can think of a whole load more worthy cases - drugs, knife crime, bullying, abuse etc.

This is wokeism gone mental if we go down the LBGT route - a persons sexual preference, or acceptance of it, is not a priority in any sense of the word. Not in a world where lives, young lives, are being destroyed daily.

Random thoughts upon reading your post...

You are suggesting that lives aren't destroyed by homophobia, that it isn't as important as bullying and abuse? What do you think it is then if not both of those?

Wokeism? The buzzword of the right and a meaningless phrase used to shut down discussions.

Who decides what "is really important"?

The phrase "advertising LGBT", what do you mean by that? Anything that would be done isn't advertising, it would be a show of solidarity and highlighting that bullying and harassment aren't acceptable.

Trivialisation of the issue is one step from ignoring the issue, which is one step from denial of the problem.

Ooh, you’re not reading the room, big boy

He has the right to express his opinion respectfully on this supporters' forum on which, I keep reading, we're all chums united by one thing.
Yeah, I just meant that he was going to get people disagreeing with him. However saying 'This is wokeism gone mental if we go down the LBGT route - a persons sexual preference, or acceptance of it, is not a priority in any sense of the word' isn't just an 'opinion'.

Man, I defended you yesterday dude.

I really hope this is just REALLY poor phrasing on your part, although I suspect it's your genuine belief now. LGBT people experience bullying, abuse and harassment on the daily, and are often killed for their sexuality. Where does that fit in your "more worthy cases"? You talk about young lives being destroyed daily and LGBT are a BIG PART of that demographic of young people having their lives destroyed.

A shame as I thought you were trying to learn.

Yeah, I just meant that he was going to get people disagreeing with him. However saying 'This is wokeism gone mental if we go down the LBGT route - a persons sexual preference, or acceptance of it, is not a priority in any sense of the word' isn't just an 'opinion'.

M'yep. I suppose @dickwalton1964 had an inkling that people would post in disagreement so in a sense your opening sentence went without saying, as does this one.

It feels like an odd position, defending someone's right to do what the right are doing quite effectively - i.e. to cancel or negativise both inclusiveness (a person's sexual orientation, colour or religion should most definitely be a priority if they are disadvantaged or injured because of it) and e.g. factual history (preventing discussion of the vast reservoir of evidence that our country's wealth is (and continues to be) based on theft, murder and slavery). Crazy world.

Correct - reaction to prejudice whether it be based on race, sexual orientation or religious beliefs is not 'wokeism', it's the right thing to do in a civilised society.

I hate 'wokeism' which imho means people's overly sensitive reaction to issues that are indeed trivial in their context, the above topics and Saturday's chant do not fall into that category.

Tracey Ullman got it spot on here:

You're getting really boring now. For someone who claimed on the match day thread you weren't homophobic, you're doing a great job of convincing me otherwise.

Being pro-LGBT isn't 'political' and it isn't 'wokeism gone mental'. If you're going to have an opinion on this, at least come up with it yourself instead of parroting right-wing tabloid attack lines.

Also glad to know that tackling homophobia isn't really important, so when next time someone abuses me I'll think about drugs and knife crime instead.

He has the right to express his opinion respectfully on this supporters' forum on which, I keep reading, we're all chums united by one thing.
Having different opinions is fine I have no problem with that.
The OP says that in his view that Oxford United in supporting a campaign against homophobia is political and we as a club and sport in general should not get involved. I wonder if he has the same views about the "kick it out campaign' against racism another sport led political campaign
Both involving bullying, harassment , drugs, suicide and murder.
So condem one condem then all.

Having different opinions is fine I have no problem with that.
The OP says that in his view that Oxford United in supporting a campaign against homophobia is political and we as a club and sport in general should not get involved. I wonder if he has the same views about the "kick it out campaign' against racism another sport led political campaign
Both involving bullying, harassment , drugs, suicide and murder.
So condem one condem then all.

Quite agree. I hope my post above confirms that.

Saying it's a "political movement", "wokeism gone mental if we go down the LBGT route" and that it's "not really important" lacks respect.

Of course it does, and you're right to emphasise it. I hope I got that across in the later post; on reflection it is odd, at least, to defend this crap when the Mail, Express and Telegraph are continually spouting exactly the same lies, hiding behind their curtains and refusing to look their fellow humans in the eye.

Back
Top Bottom