Matches Homophobic chanting

Why would we want to be the first club to have rainbow shirts though ? We are a football club not some political movement. As I’ve said previously, I have no problem with a persons sexual preferences but there would be zero chance of me buying anything advertising LBGT. It isn’t that I don’t appreciate everyone’s desire to be accepted, I do, but it isn’t life or death. If a football club want to get involved in making statements I can think of a whole load more worthy cases - drugs, knife crime, bullying, abuse etc.

This is wokeism gone mental if we go down the LBGT route - a persons sexual preference, or acceptance of it, is not a priority in any sense of the word. Not in a world where lives, young lives, are being destroyed daily.

Get a grip and see what’s really important.
I don't want to 'pile-on' you for this post at all but...

I hate 'wokeism' more than anyone. I hate quotas, permanently-offended people, people wanting to cancel anything they disagree with etc, but... wanting to respond to a homophobic incident isn't "woke". Like all football clubs we have lots of gay supporters. Imagine how depressing it is to think when you go to the football there's people around you who think you are inferior to them because of your sexuality? The club showing support for our gay supporters isn't woke at all (in my eyes), it's common sense.

I'm not sure why drugs of knife crime, bullying etc is more worthy than homophobia?

Again, I'm not piling on, but there's no reason we can't ALL get behind an initiative by the club to support our non-heterosexual supporters. That's not political that's just making everyone feel welcome. BLM arguably were linked to hard-left influences, you cannot argue that with the entire gay community have any political cause it's just a sexual preference. This isn't a political issue.

I sort of get the points you’re making but I do think gay people make such a noise about their sexuality. Sexuality isn’t a case of pride, I don’t ever think ‘I’m proud to be heterosexual’ but I hear the gay community often using the ‘proud to be gay‘ tag. Great, good for you, but why does the rest of the world need to know your intimate preferences ? I couldn’t care less what anyone else is but there’s this insatiable desire by gay people to let us know what they are.

I asked my daughter and her boyfriend where they were going out the other night and I got told ‘A coming out party’. Really ? I genuinely thought they were taking the p*ss with this. They weren’t.

Oh. Wow. It’s true. People like you still exist. That’s a shame.

The only way to educate these people is for the other 1,500 supporters or so of the same club as them in attendance at the same event at the same time to express their displeasure and dissatisfaction of what they are doing at the time they are doing it. We all hold a responsibility to make sure it it not acceptable for this to be done. Waiting until after the event is too late, and Mr Stockdale is the only one who comes out with credit calling this out at the very time it happened, all other supporters home and away, all police, all stewards, all club officials on both sides, match officials, chose to ignore it at the time when it happened and have only jumped on the back of it when Mr Stockdale's complaint was reported as there were seemingly no other similarly timed complaints made by anyone else, just a later acknowledgement that oh yes we heard something too.

With regard education generally, we don't need it. I'm afraid homophobia is stuck in British society simply because we are a Christian nation (whatever that means) and to absolutely ban homophobia will require the bible to be banned and the Christian faith to be banned too. There are plenty of other religious groups that do not accept same sex relationships either some to a far more extreme belief. Perhaps we are fortunate that although Christians have been educated from a very early age that homosexuality is never acceptable, Christians generally are more tolerant of differences in society even if they don't necessarily agree with something. In this case of the chanting this appears to be a case of just out of date morons deciding to be stupid. But what if they really did target a gay footballer (and it would help men's football and attitudes if some footballers did come out, there doesn't seem to be any real issue with women's football or cricket compared to men's sport) with an offensive chant and their defence was that they are Christian it can become a difficult argument on opinions and freedom of beliefs.

Finally, don't just focus on minority groups. Incredibly the majority group in society, women, are treated appallingly at football. I am male and can't comment on the discrimination this group receives because I have not directly experienced it of course, but being the father of two teenage young women I see what they have to put up with over the years attending a football match and it really is quite shocking that their experience is so different and so poor compared to a male football supporter and that they are expected to put up with such obvious discrimination the moment they get anywhere near a football ground.

I am male and can't comment on the discrimination this group receives because I have not directly experienced it of course

...... it really is quite shocking that their experience is so different and so poor compared to a male football supporter and that they are expected to put up with such obvious discrimination the moment they get anywhere near a football ground.

Is that not a comment?

The only way to educate these people is for the other 1,500 supporters or so of the same club as them in attendance at the same event at the same time to express their displeasure and dissatisfaction of what they are doing at the time they are doing it. We all hold a responsibility to make sure it it not acceptable for this to be done. Waiting until after the event is too late, and Mr Stockdale is the only one who comes out with credit calling this out at the very time it happened, all other supporters home and away, all police, all stewards, all club officials on both sides, match officials, chose to ignore it at the time when it happened and have only jumped on the back of it when Mr Stockdale's complaint was reported as there were seemingly no other similarly timed complaints made by anyone else, just a later acknowledgement that oh yes we heard something too.

With regard education generally, we don't need it. I'm afraid homophobia is stuck in British society simply because we are a Christian nation (whatever that means) and to absolutely ban homophobia will require the bible to be banned and the Christian faith to be banned too. There are plenty of other religious groups that do not accept same sex relationships either some to a far more extreme belief. Perhaps we are fortunate that although Christians have been educated from a very early age that homosexuality is never acceptable, Christians generally are more tolerant of differences in society even if they don't necessarily agree with something. In this case of the chanting this appears to be a case of just out of date morons deciding to be stupid. But what if they really did target a gay footballer (and it would help men's football and attitudes if some footballers did come out, there doesn't seem to be any real issue with women's football or cricket compared to men's sport) with an offensive chant and their defence was that they are Christian it can become a difficult argument on opinions and freedom of beliefs.

Finally, don't just focus on minority groups. Incredibly the majority group in society, women, are treated appallingly at football. I am male and can't comment on the discrimination this group receives because I have not directly experienced it of course, but being the father of two teenage young women I see what they have to put up with over the years attending a football match and it really is quite shocking that their experience is so different and so poor compared to a male football supporter and that they are expected to put up with such obvious discrimination the moment they get anywhere near a football ground.
This might actually be the golden age for acceptance in UK society.

The UK's Muslim population is predicted to rise from 6.3 percent in 2016 to 17.2 percent by 2050. This will have negative repercussions on the treatment of women and gay people in wider society.

The top 10 ranked tolerant nations in the world are consistently and almost exclusively Western Christian democracies.

Random thoughts upon reading your post...

You are suggesting that lives aren't destroyed by homophobia, that it isn't as important as bullying and abuse? What do you think it is then if not both of those?

Wokeism? The buzzword of the right and a meaningless phrase used to shut down discussions.

Who decides what "is really important"?

The phrase "advertising LGBT", what do you mean by that? Anything that would be done isn't advertising, it would be a show of solidarity and highlighting that bullying and harassment aren't acceptable.

Trivialisation of the issue is one step from ignoring the issue, which is one step from denial of the problem.

Lives are probably destroyed by homophobia, I guess. But lives are destroyed by all sorts of issues (you can die laughing !) and I see something like drugs - which you conveniently don’t mention, preferring to quote bullying and abuse - as something far more important in trying to drum in to peoples mindset, especially young people. I’m not particularly bothered by the LGBT movement, it doesn’t affect me, doesn’t overly bother me and something I’m not particularly interested in. What’s wrong with that ?

If I want to disassociate myself from something like this and prefer Instead to take more interest in things I consider way, way more important - like the issues I’ve mentioned - why shouldn’t I ? Who are you, or anyone else for that matter, to tell me what I should support and what I shouldn’t ? I couldn’t really care less, I’m my own mind not swayed one bit by a load of left wing box ticking. As I’ve said, you can’t directly die from being gay but you can from taking drugs and I’d say those issues I pinpoint count for thousands more deaths a year than.

I‘ve got better things to do than, as a heterosexual man, worry about LGBT awareness. It might be at the top of your list and fair enough, it’s low down on mine. Where’s the problem when I consider there are far more pressing issues to donate time to ?

This might actually be the golden age for acceptance in UK society.

The UK's Muslim population is predicted to rise from 6.3 percent in 2016 to 17.2 percent by 2050. This will have negative repercussions on the treatment of women and gay people in wider society.

The top 10 ranked tolerant nations in the world are consistently and almost exclusively Western Christian democracies.
That’s because those countries aren’t really very keen Christians on the whole - they’re fairly secular. The one that does have a lot of keen Christians, the US, is now a hotbed of intolerance and conspiracy theories and almost fell victim to a far right coup last year. Your figures about Muslims sound iffy but even so I would expect most young Muslims to become more secular and for gay and female Muslims to assert themselves.

Not sure why you’re trying to make light of the chanting issue when most on the board have been very positive?

Lives are probably destroyed by homophobia, I guess. But lives are destroyed by all sorts of issues (you can die laughing !) and I see something like drugs - which you conveniently don’t mention, preferring to quote bullying and abuse - as something far more important in trying to drum in to peoples mindset, especially young people. I’m not particularly bothered by the LGBT movement, it doesn’t affect me, doesn’t overly bother me and something I’m not particularly interested in. What’s wrong with that ?

If I want to disassociate myself from something like this and prefer Instead to take more interest in things I consider way, way more important - like the issues I’ve mentioned - why shouldn’t I ? Who are you, or anyone else for that matter, to tell me what I should support and what I shouldn’t ? I couldn’t really care less, I’m my own mind not swayed one bit by a load of left wing box ticking. As I’ve said, you can’t directly die from being gay but you can from taking drugs and I’d say those issues I pinpoint count for thousands more deaths a year than.

I‘ve got better things to do than, as a heterosexual man, worry about LGBT awareness. It might be at the top of your list and fair enough, it’s low down on mine. Where’s the problem when I consider there are far more pressing issues to donate time to ?

Oh, Dick. Dick dick dick.

This is a reaction to what happened at the Wycombe game. No-one is asking you to donate time to LGBT awareness.

I really don't know what exactly it is you have a problem with?

This is a reaction to what happened at the Wycombe game. No-one is asking you to donate time to LGBT awareness.

I really don't know what exactly it is you have a problem with?

I have no problem at all. Re-read the thread, it seems some people have a problem with my view. Look at the replies and then you can ask the exact same question to others. It’s two opinions, who’s to say I’m right or wrong - it’s a view, an opinion that I’m entitled to have. I don‘t really get your reply, you clearly haven’t followed this.

That’s because those countries aren’t really very keen Christians on the whole - they’re fairly secular. The one that does have a lot of keen Christians, the US, is now a hotbed of intolerance and conspiracy theories and almost fell victim to a far right coup last year. Your figures about Muslims sound iffy but even so I would expect most young Muslims to become more secular and for gay and female Muslims to assert themselves.

Not sure why you’re trying to make light of the chanting issue when most on the board have been very positive?

At this moment in time do you really see gay Muslims asserting themselves?

It has nothing to do with being left-wing.

I have no problem at all. Re-read the thread, it seems some people have a problem with my view. Look at the replies and then you can ask the exact same question to others. It’s two opinions, who’s to say I’m right or wrong - it’s a view, an opinion that I’m entitled to have. I don‘t really get your reply, you clearly haven’t followed this.
I'm not stopping you having a view, I just can't understand how you seem to think the club doing something in support of our gay fans is linked to left-wing or wokeism.

It's amazing how people who say that they're are not bothered about the LGBT movement (their words) get so f*****g angry about it.

I've come to realise that I have absolutely no right to decide who some falls in love with. What they eat. Which God they believe in. What they wear. What they call themselves. And pretty much every decision anyone else makes that doesn't directly affect me or my loved ones.

The world would be a much nicer place if we stopped judging others and just let people be.

It's amazing how people who say that they're are not bothered about the LGBT movement (their words) get so f*****g angry about it.

I've come to realise that I have absolutely no right to decide who some falls in love with. What they eat. Which God they believe in. What they wear. What they call themselves. And pretty much every decision anyone else makes that doesn't directly affect me or my loved ones.

The world would be a much nicer place if we stopped judging others and just let people be.

Tragically o can not see the ever happening

Hypocrite. You’re always judging people on here.

Back
Top Bottom