General Offensive Chanting

I always remember one, chanted at Newport fans concerning the Aberfan disaster.... Not nice, turned my stomach
That reminds me of a Barnsley game back in the eighties. There had been massive pit closures and some morons were baiting the Barnsley fans about losing their jobs. Fortunately the majority of our fans shsh’d them.

When they were younger my two sons thought the chant was 'yoshi ahhh' when the keeper was taking a goal or free kick. I still think of that on the rare occasions the chant is used now and oh, I still like to remind them both, even though they are in their 20s.
There is also the version of this chant aimed at our own Phil Whitehead, to the effect of 'Ohhhhhhhhhh, you're God ahhhh!'.

This was then briefly adapted when Elliot Jackson played one of his few games to 'Ohhhhhhhhhh, you're Jesus, son of God!'. One of the few times I've laughed at genuine terrace humour.

That reminds me of a Barnsley game back in the eighties. There had been massive pit closures and some morons were baiting the Barnsley fans about losing their jobs. Fortunately the majority of our fans shsh’d them.

We were singing “last week you were mining coal, this week you are on the dole” to Yorkshire/north east teams into the nineties so don’t think fans were silenced for long.

It tends to be perceived as oft having good intent (or not in cases) but being overused or misused to start to diminish on freedom of expression or action or opportunity.

As you say there’s nothing wrong with social injustice. I think woke has become a term to capture where activity goes to an extreme of social injustice that creates its own counter injustices .

Not intending to get into a debate as this is probably about to become the most borinb thread on the forum if it does!

I think you're kind of right that that's what people want it to mean. Same as being Politically Correct, which again, there is nothing wrong with per se.
That said, someone on Twitter described the new stadium as "woke" the other day, so I'm not sure everyone's version of "goes to an extreme" is quite the same

I think you're kind of right that that's what people want it to mean. Same as being Politically Correct, which again, there is nothing wrong with per se.
That said, someone on Twitter described the new stadium as "woke" the other day, so I'm not sure everyone's version of "goes to an extreme" is quite the same
I think woke and PC have both acquired the implication of being overly concerned with appearing liberal and caring, and starting to create new injustices. NB I really hate tofu!

What about, the chant.............it ends.....' his a**e is, up for rent'
that was one i always misheard as a kid, chanted at our former captain, Big Ron

"he's fat, he's red, his a**e is up the red, atkinson,,,atkinson".

never understood that 🙃

These days, my fave to deliberately mishear is when someone bangs the side of the shed and people shout "U's!"
I always mishear it as "goose!" which i find much more entertaining.

I always liked 'How wide, do you want the goal?' when the oppositions striker misses. A nice wholesome one you don't hear much nowadays.

• React
Reactions: m
that was one i always misheard as a kid, chanted at our former captain, Big Ron

"he's fat, he's red, his a**e is up the red, atkinson,,,atkinson".

never understood that 🙃
I remember the one I heard.... I think... It was fashanu's name in it

Last edited:
I think woke and PC have both acquired the implication of being overly concerned with appearing liberal and caring, and starting to create new injustices. NB I really hate tofu!

When you say woke or pc now people are more likely to think you are talking about the people who want to change the name of a pub in Abingdon than people who want a fair society, the sort of people who look for offence and take pleasure in moaning about everything. The left’s version of the Karen’s who moan about a drag Queen in a school for instance.

There is also the version of this chant aimed at our own Phil Whitehead, to the effect of 'Ohhhhhhhhhh, you're God ahhhh!'.

This was then briefly adapted when Elliot Jackson played one of his few games to 'Ohhhhhhhhhh, you're Jesus, son of God!'. One of the few times I've laughed at genuine terrace humour.
Didn't his mum take the fanzine to task for using something similar on the cover because she was a god fearing Christian and claimed it was blasphemous ?

Having people talk about the old chants and the natural wit there was with someone of them, is that wit gone away from the terraces?

Back
Top Bottom