Matches Homophobic chanting

Rather than all hanging up the guy, shaming him for having a different viewpoint , and essentially trying to shut him down….perhaps we let Dick express himself. Listen to his views. And in a calm considered unemotive way try to respond to his points.

I disagree with his views but the world is stronger from listening to a range of views and talking them out gently.

Force them underground and they can’t be addressed or evolved.
You're completely correct, and I'd like to think that's what I've done (or tried to do) throughout rather than trying to shut anyone down, although I can't say my responses were unemotive. My goal has always been to educate and create understanding from the perspective of someone on the inside.

I think we are slowly moving towards a big tipping point in equality, acceptance and tolerance. Not just for LGBTQ+, but for all minorities and targeted groups. But until we get there the need to educate remains - I just hope it is done in the right way. The moment we start to abuse and lynch people is the moment we become part of the problem - even if our intentions are good.

I'm sure big Dick is just a dozy old boy rather than some raving fascist, but there's nothing to 'learn' from some of his views. Believing that recognition and respect of gay people 'isn't all that important', and that other issues of his choice are 'more important', isn't a valid view that deserves weight and consideration. It doesn't make sense and is derived from ignorance.

However it would be good to move on now.
Why isn't it a valid view?

Following your logic, are you saying that the other issues he raises are not important? Try telling that to the families of the many teenagers that died last year on the end of a knife blade. Arsenal certainly think so.

It isn't a matter of either/or (the other scourge of the day), but a recognition that there are many issues of great importance, and that just because someone else doesn't put your issue at the top of their list, doesn't mean that their views are not valid....(or Indeed that they don't agree with you)

Following your logic, are you saying that the other issues he raises are not important? Try telling that to the families of the many teenagers that died last year on the end of a knife blade. Arsenal certainly think so.

It isn't a matter of either/or (the other scourge of the day), but a recognition that there are many issues of great importance, and that just because someone else doesn't put your issue at the top of their list, doesn't mean that their views are not valid....(or Indeed that they don't agree with you)
No one else was talking about ranking issues in order of 'importance'! Why is that relevant to anything?

Firstly, this thread is entitled "Homophobic chanting" not "knife crime" or other issues that are going on in this world. No one has said that other minorities are less important or that knife crime, poverty, famine, climate change or anything else doesn't matter.

What Dick was saying was that homophobia doesn't matter because it doesn't matter to him. I'm not gay, but I respect those who are. I'm not black but I respect others who support the taking of the knee etc. I haven't been stabbed but have seen the impact of knife crime in all sides.

We can respect others even if it doesn't personally affect our lives.

Rather than all hanging up the guy, shaming him for having a different viewpoint , and essentially trying to shut him down….perhaps we let Dick express himself. Listen to his views. And in a calm considered unemotive way try to respond to his points.

I disagree with his views but the world is stronger from listening to a range of views and talking them out gently.

Force them underground and they can’t be addressed or evolved.
I've done that plenty of times now, debunking what he's said instead of just trying to shut him down or insult him. However, those explanations just aren't going in, and there's a steadfast refusal to listen.

Dick has been able to express himself, his posts haven't been deleted, he hasn't been banned and the responses haven't hounded him to silence. Because of the nature of an online forum, people are also able to disagree with him, and in this case it happens to be a number of people, including those in the LGBT community. And from reading the replies, Dick's original messages are more disrespectful than anything someone's replied with.

Not everything in life has to be a debate, not everything needs to be a challenge and not everyone can be talked round or reasoned with. He's said what he's had to say, and a lot of people, rightly in my opinion, have taken issue with that.

SO, AFTER A FEW DAYS TO CALM DOWN AND REFLECT....

1. I'm still massively proud to be an Oxford United fan.

2. The chant, in my eyes, was indeed wrong in every sense. However, it was also not a gut filled hatred rant. I took it to be lazy and poor judgement.

3. I'm proud that the Oxford United fans didn't join in

4. I'm proud that the Oxford United fans shut the chant down as quickly as they did

5. I'm pleased that the culprit appeared to realise their mistake, stopped and didn't repeat the event

6. I'm pleased that we've been able to discuss it

7. I'm so pleased I don't have to watch Wycombe play football every week

These are my reflections. Some of you may not agree and that's okay.
I'm not saying this excuses anything that happened at Wycombe, however, I don't think we should beat ourselves up too much about it (we should address it and make everyone feel welcome), I've followed us for 20 years and I can't ever recall hearing anything racist or homophobic at a game, all football clubs will have a few idiots and we are no different, but we're not a particularly bad set.

I'm not saying this excuses anything that happened at Wycombe, however, I don't think we should beat ourselves up too much about it (we should address it and make everyone feel welcome), I've followed us for 20 years and I can't ever recall hearing anything racist or homophobic at a game, all football clubs will have a few idiots and we are no different, but we're not a particularly bad set.
2nd time I've heard/known of homophobia at OUFC. The other at Wembley 2016. Outside of OUFC it's happened a lot more, including once in a youth level game I played in at 15. Despite everything on this forum the last few days OUFC is still one of the more tolerant and accepting clubs in the EFL, and I think the general response on here shows that.

Yes I do agree, but I'm pleased that people have pounced on it and made it clear that this chanting not acceptable. It's been a good discussion and several people have expressed themselves powerfully.

Yes I do agree, but I'm pleased that people have pounced on it and made it clear that this chanting not acceptable. It's been a good discussion and several people have expressed themselves powerfully.
The biggest shame about it for me is how it could make some of our gay fans feel like they're not welcome or fans around them perhaps think there is something wrong with their sexuality. That's why if the club want to make some sort of statement about it I'd support it.

As you know I'm hardly a lefty, but I do disagree with Dick that there is anything political about saying we stand against homophobia. I get where people are coming from on football's reaction to BLM and how that's split opinion, but for me standing against Homophobia is the same as the kick it out campaign, it's just obvious and fair that everyone should be welcome at football matches regardless of any of their inate characteristics.

I said I hadn't heard it and that shows that is wasnt a constant or loud song that would have been different in my opinion as per the coverage.
It must have only been a very small group and ouy of 1800 3 or 4 ?
I'm more concerned by their fan allowed to run the full length of pitch and almost make an incident as well as one of our players being pushed . Let alone McCleary's disgusting celebrations and their subs intent on warming up as close to the away end as possible and trying to wind the fans up.
And there is the problem, we have people more worried about an opposition player giving it the big one to our fans(after we hurled abuse toward him when he took the corner) than homophobic chants which is the real issue here. I guarantee if the boot was on the other foot and we won the game you wouldn't have batted an eyelid. So take the rose tints off and open your ears as it was embarrassing.
Onward to the Sheffield game and the 3 points

Acted like knobs at Wycombe, think it was well covered at the time.
1800 supporters there, a very tiny minority didn`t connect their brains to their mouths, probably shandy related, and here we are.

You gage that from Leicester?

Back
Top Bottom