Fa Cup Fourth Round draw

Man Utd away With gate receipts alone for OUFC would net us over a million but I would still like prefer to get a winnable game at home next round plus who knows tv money then for the big club away
How? Let's assume a full house at £20 average per ticket which is very generous indeed on both counts. That gives us £1.5m gate receipts before costs (£100k?) and the FA's 10% cut (£150k) leaving a net of £1.25m to be shared between the clubs. So I can see £500k(ish) but over a million - nope.

How? Let's assume a full house at £20 average per ticket which is very generous indeed on both counts. That gives us £1.5m gate receipts before costs (£100k?) and the FA's 10% cut (£150k) leaving a net of £1.25m to be shared between the clubs. So I can see £500k(ish) but over a million - nope.
Of course I'd still take it and there would be a half and half scarf to collect ?

Burton was supposed to have made £1m.
I reckon the ticket price would average a lot more than £20.

Cambridge got over a million for a match against Man Utd that was a few years ago so yes I do. They earned around 1.25 million in 2015.

Last edited:
Burton was supposed to have made £1m.
I reckon the ticket price would average a lot more than £20.
You might be right - I've just looked at their website and it's about a £45 average for a home match day ticket for an adult - yikes. I still reckon they'd drop prices significantly for our game but maybe to a higher average than I had assumed.

Burton did get TV money as well as I think they were non-league at the time and wasn't there a replay so they got double bubble as they had both the home and away games televised. Even with it being Man U, I don't think we'd be on the box.

You might be right - I've just looked at their website and it's about a £45 average for a home match day ticket for an adult - yikes. I still reckon they'd drop prices significantly for our game but maybe to a higher average than I had assumed.

Burton did get TV money as well as I think they were non-league at the time and wasn't there a replay so they got double bubble as they had both the home and away games televised. Even with it being Man U, I don't think we'd be on the box.

You don’t think Man Utd vs a League One side would be picked for TV?! Have you met the TV schedulers?!

Looking at the Colchester United forum, they quote £36 for an adult ticket for their League Cup quarter-final so let's settle on somewhere between £500k to £750k assuming no TV money - any advances?

Of course, we will now get Barnsley (a) - crowd of 6,000 at reduced prices with 1,500 away fans and a 1-0 loss to a last minute goal deflected off Mowatt's a**e. Just about break even on the coach and overnight stay!

Looking at the Colchester United forum, they quote £36 for an adult ticket for their League Cup quarter-final so let's settle on somewhere between £500k to £750k assuming no TV money - any advances?

Of course, we will now get Barnsley (a) - crowd of 6,000 at reduced prices with 1,500 away fans and a 1-0 loss to a last minute goal deflected off Mowatt's a**e. Just about break even on the coach and overnight stay!
But Cambridge made approx 1.25 million for their game at Old Trafford 5 years ago so no reason why we shouldn’t get similar if not more

So I got a bit of stick on the other thread for saying that I want one of the biggest clubs now.
The counterargument being that it would be better to get Northampton at home in Round 4, then (say) Barnsley at home in Round 5 - and then play one of the monsters in the Quarters......

My logic is this:
There's two things that the FA Cup is good for - Glory and Money.

Glory comes from taking on (and ideally beating) the biggest clubs in the land. There's no glory for beating Northampton or Barnsley. Those are just two more games.
The big Money also comes from taking on the biggest clubs - and getting on the BBC. But, admittedly, there is sizeable prize money available for each and every win. A couple more rounds would be worth 540k in prize money alone.

So it comes down to a simple Pro/Con.
The pros of 'postponing' a game against a Top 6 club for a couple more rounds are that the club will make an additional half million-plus.

The cons of doing so are:
a) We'll have to add another couple of midweek fixtures to our run-in, and that fixture congestion could affect our promotion chances
b) We might lose to Northampton or Barnsley and therefore miss out on our chance of Glory or Money this year.

So I'd rather have that game now. Let's draw Arsenal or Spurs or Liverpool or Man U or Chelsea (not Man City) at the Kasstad right now.
Because you know what....it'll be on TV and it'll make us plenty of cash. But I'd also fancy our chances of beating any of them - especially given the teams they've been sending out in the cup competitions.

Firstly, there’s also glory in just getting through rounds of the FA Cup and deeper into the competition, you’ve got the increased exposure, time on the TV highlights (so many non-supporting friends have mentioned the comments on Shandon’s goal), time on TV on the live draw getting picked out of the hat... you stay relevant as a club when you’re still in the FA cup, you’re part of the national conversation. And getting to the quarters as a League One side means loads of articles in the national papers and online, TV segments, much more exposure meaning a) local people see about the club and come along to a game (I was sat next to a guy at the Wycombe game who was there for his first game as he’d seen us mentioned on TV) and b) potential signings, potential loan players and loaning clubs hear about us in a positive way and see us as a good, upwardly mobile club.

And secondly, it’s funny how many people who are so quick to gravely (and correctly) point out that there’s no guarantee of beating the lower ranked clubs then go on to argue that we should just hope for a big club at home now as it would be winnable! Liverpool just beat Everton’s first XI with a team of reserves and youth players...

Firstly, there’s also glory in just getting through rounds of the FA Cup and deeper into the competition, you’ve got the increased exposure, time on the TV highlights (so many non-supporting friends have mentioned the comments on Shandon’s goal), time on TV on the live draw getting picked out of the hat... you stay relevant as a club when you’re still in the FA cup, you’re part of the national conversation. And getting to the quarters as a League One side means loads of articles in the national papers and online, TV segments, much more exposure meaning a) local people see about the club and come along to a game (I was sat next to a guy at the Wycombe game who was there for his first game as he’d seen us mentioned on TV) and b) potential signings, potential loan players and loaning clubs hear about us in a positive way and see us as a good, upwardly mobile club.

And secondly, it’s funny how many people who are so quick to gravely (and correctly) point out that there’s no guarantee of beating the lower ranked clubs then go on to argue that we should just hope for a big club at home now as it would be winnable! Liverpool just beat Everton’s first XI with a team of reserves and youth players...

Not sure I understand your second point.
If we get Northampton at home in Round 4 we will probably win. Which means prize money + a better chance of a big draw in Round 5. But there's a chance we lose, and then all our hopes for an FA Cup windfall and TV exposure are scuppered.
If we get Liverpool at home in Round 4 we will probably lose. Which means we'll get no prize money, but will have enjoyed a big ol' Cup tie and almost certainly a TV cash windfall. But there's a chance we win, and then we get to have our cake and eat it!

On the first point.....I get what you're saying.
But frankly, the only thing I heard from any non-Oxford fan about Saturday was some brief crowing from a Hartlepool-born friend of mine when they went 1-0 up.
When we played Manchester City in the League Cup, I got a barrage of texts and messages from folks who were suddenly interested in the game. And it wasn't because it was the Quarter Final - it was because it was against Manchester City and live on TV, and they were actually going to watch us play for the first time in forever (or they had watched us play for the first time in forever, and were bloody impressed).
You want national exposure, you need to play against the biggest teams. That's (unfortunately) how the football world works nowadays.

Not sure I understand your second point.
If we get Northampton at home in Round 4 we will probably win. Which means prize money + a better chance of a big draw in Round 5. But there's a chance we lose, and then all our hopes for an FA Cup windfall and TV exposure are scuppered.
If we get Liverpool at home in Round 4 we will probably lose. Which means we'll get no prize money, but will have enjoyed a big ol' Cup tie and almost certainly a TV cash windfall. But there's a chance we win, and then we get to have our cake and eat it!

On the first point.....I get what you're saying.
But frankly, the only thing I heard from any non-Oxford fan about Saturday was some brief crowing from a Hartlepool-born friend of mine when they went 1-0 up.
When we played Manchester City in the League Cup, I got a barrage of texts and messages from folks who were suddenly interested in the game. And it wasn't because it was the Quarter Final - it was because it was against Manchester City and live on TV, and they were actually going to watch us play for the first time in forever (or they had watched us play for the first time in forever, and were bloody impressed).
You want national exposure, you need to play against the biggest teams. That's (unfortunately) how the football world works nowadays.

You have good points, and you make them well. I’d still rather draw Northampton at home tonight though - I’d take the gamble that we might not go through, as I think overall on the balance of probably we would beat them - take the prize money, the extra exposure of still being in the cup and the increased chance of a big draw next time around. It’s all irrelevant anyway as we will no doubt be drawn away to some boring but competent Championship team!

Back
Top Bottom