Fa Cup Fourth Round draw

A team below us or a team struggling in their respective division at the moment. Barnsley are in the relegation zone but looking at their form over the last 10 games suggests they're on the up. Reading have the best form in the Championship over the past 5 games (13 pts), so we would probably lose to them unfortunately. Birmingham or Bournemouth at home would do me. Otherwise, as others have said, big away day for some cash.

Is it just me or were there far fewer 'shocks' in this 3rd round than usual? There seem to be very few L1/L2 teams in the 4th round.

Last edited:
For me. Home to the gooners for win straight off, or ....home to Spurs for a draw, then a win at the new lane. All ultimately beatable Mind you, neither of them are through yet and I don’t fancy trips to Leeds or borough.
So I guess it will be away to Northampton and we will be allocated 500 seats.
They have to give us a certain % of the ground so we'd get the full away end and perhaps the side ones as well.

Reading, or a top 6 side away please, or even Birmingham, just a good draw please, we’ve not had great luck these last few years, considering we’ve consistently gotten far in the cups

Reading, or a top 6 side away please, or even Birmingham, just a good draw please, we’ve not had great luck these last few years, considering we’ve consistently gotten far in the cups
We could do with a winnable one at home just to get another wedge of cash, then a big tie away just to get the tv appearance and gate receipts and who knows prize money as well.

Man Utd away is by far the best from a financial point of view. Reading home would be good, plus might well be televised.

Man Utd away is by far the best from a financial point of view. Reading home would be good, plus might well be televised.
Man Utd away With gate receipts alone for OUFC would net us over a million but I would still like prefer to get a winnable game at home next round plus who knows tv money then for the big club away

Last edited:
west ham at home or city
We could do with a winnable one at home just to get another wedge of cash, then a big tie away just to get the tv appearance and gate receipts and who knows prize money as well.

I know boro away was epic for what it was a big London club away please.....

Man Utd away With gate receipts alone for OUFC would net us over a million but I would still like prefer to get a winnable game at home next round plus who knows tv money then for the big club away
but the 5th Round is midweek this season.

but the 5th Round is midweek this season.

Correct. So if we want a big away day then surely it's tonghts draw. Imagine if we got man u tonight we could take 8k plus on a Saturday. If the next round I couldn't see us taking more than 4k on a Wednesday.

Correct. So if we want a big away day then surely it's tonghts draw. Imagine if we got man u tonight we could take 8k plus on a Saturday. If the next round I couldn't see us taking more than 4k on a Wednesday.

No replay so get them away in the 5th Rd. Worst case, take it to penalties and win. ;)

west ham at home or city

I know boro away was epic for what it was a big London club away please.....
Still prefer a winnable one at home followed by a big away day with hopefully live tv and give our transfer budget a big boost.

Really?! Bearing in mind that the chances of drawing Liverpool for the fourth round is low at 1 in 31, we’ve had some excellent FA Cup ties so I wouldn’t complain about them at all. We’ve been lucky to have away days at novelty non-league sides (Braintree, Merstam, Hayes & Yeading), putting big sides like Newcastle and Swansea to the sword at home in entertaining full house encounters, a gloriously fun defeat away at Middlesbrough and away games at worthwhile grounds to visit like Brentford and a P**s up in Birmingham en route to Walsall.

In 2015-16, our FA Cup run was Braintee, Forest Green, Swansea and Blackburn.
In 2016-17, we had Merstam, Macclesfield, Rotherham, Newcastle and Middlesbrough.
We’ll skip over 2017-18 … (Clotet’s fault)
In 2018-19, we had Forest Green, Plymouth and Brentford.
In 2019-20, we’ve played Hayes & Yeading, Walsall and Hartlepool.

Aside from that 2017-18 season, we’ve made it to the third round as a minimum in four of five seasons. We’ve gone deep in the FA Cup because we’ve avoided the biggest sides. I’ll take every time!

So I got a bit of stick on the other thread for saying that I want one of the biggest clubs now.
The counterargument being that it would be better to get Northampton at home in Round 4, then (say) Barnsley at home in Round 5 - and then play one of the monsters in the Quarters......

My logic is this:
There's two things that the FA Cup is good for - Glory and Money.

Glory comes from taking on (and ideally beating) the biggest clubs in the land. There's no glory for beating Northampton or Barnsley. Those are just two more games.
The big Money also comes from taking on the biggest clubs - and getting on the BBC. But, admittedly, there is sizeable prize money available for each and every win. A couple more rounds would be worth 540k in prize money alone.

So it comes down to a simple Pro/Con.
The pros of 'postponing' a game against a Top 6 club for a couple more rounds are that the club will make an additional half million-plus.

The cons of doing so are:
a) We'll have to add another couple of midweek fixtures to our run-in, and that fixture congestion could affect our promotion chances
b) We might lose to Northampton or Barnsley and therefore miss out on our chance of Glory or Money this year.

So I'd rather have that game now. Let's draw Arsenal or Spurs or Liverpool or Man U or Chelsea (not Man City) at the Kasstad right now.
Because you know what....it'll be on TV and it'll make us plenty of cash. But I'd also fancy our chances of beating any of them - especially given the teams they've been sending out in the cup competitions.

Back
Top Bottom