Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

Alfie produced the single greatest moment of my Oxford-supporting lifetime (and a few other great memories besides - he was special that opening day down at Pompey), and I will always love him for that.

But he hasn't actually played for two years has he? Hope for City's sake he still has something in the tank!

Alfie produced the single greatest moment of my Oxford-supporting lifetime (and a few other great memories besides - he was special that opening day down at Pompey), and I will always love him for that.

But he hasn't actually played for two years has he? Hope for City's sake he still has something in the tank!
He must have played a fair bit for Billericay last season because was in the running for player of the year based on a look back at their twitter feed when the season got suspended

Didn't he get offered a contract at the ShitPit, which he then rejected...?

He’s been at Billericay who are a well funded Conference club

He’s been at Billericay who are a well funded Conference club

It may be a case of were a well funded club. Weirdo minted God-botherer Glenn Tamplin moved on from Billericay in September last year to fund another non-league pet project in Romford.

They still have some decent lower league names in their team - former Stevenage and Charlton man Lawrie Wilson, Doug Loft, Ronnie Henry and so on - but have just parted ways with manager Jamie O'Hara. They're 15th in the NLS and may well have peaked. Jettisoning the likes of Potter may well be a sign of things to come for them.

It may be a case of were a well funded club. Weirdo minted God-botherer Glenn Tamplin moved on from Billericay in September last year to fund another non-league pet project in Romford.

They still have some decent lower league names in their team - former Stevenage and Charlton man Lawrie Wilson, Doug Loft, Ronnie Henry and so on - but have just parted ways with manager Jamie O'Hara. They're 15th in the NLS and may well have peaked. Jettisoning the likes of Potter may well be a sign of things to come for them.
Yeah Glenn Tampax has moved on, although he left them in reasonable state of affairs it didn't include future player Bills 😀 Good old Alfie yeah Wembley memories, welcome back to Oxford, I'm sure he will fit in well next to James Roberts another United player and sponsored by the old forum.

Yes he was flying at the start of that season. He got hacked down and was out injured for a good while. He was never quite the same after that.
Give Alfie his due, he gave us some great memories.

Grabbing my dad's arm as that cross was slid over in slow motion, getting up on the toes before the net bulged and everything around us exploded in noise, then Wilder sliding down the touchline. Unforgettable! Will never not be thankful to CW and the whole team for that day.

All Billericay need now is Jefferson Louis although having said that he’s probably already been there.

He must have played a fair bit for Billericay last season because was in the running for player of the year based on a look back at their twitter feed when the season got suspended

My trusted stats websites may be letting me down here......but Soccerbase suggest that while he has been at Billericay, he's only played eight games in the past two seasons. Are they wrong? If so, going to have to find myself a new source!

Grabbing my dad's arm as that cross was slid over in slow motion, getting up on the toes before the net bulged and everything around us exploded in noise, then Wilder sliding down the touchline. Unforgettable! Will never not be thankful to CW and the whole team for that day.

Honestly, the couple of seconds after the ball hit the back of the net are missing for me....

.....when I came back to my senses, I was hugging a complete stranger about five seats away from where I started!

Still my go-to YouTube vid if ever I need cheering up. And there are tons of different versions and angles still available!

My trusted stats websites may be letting me down here......but Soccerbase suggest that while he has been at Billericay, he's only played eight games in the past two seasons. Are they wrong? If so, going to have to find myself a new source!

Soccerbase is fantastic but once it gets to regional leagues, it struggles for player appearance and lineups data on their league campaigns.

Another good example is if you look at James Roberts, only has him down as playing two games this season - both in the fa cup. When actually he plays week in, week out for Oxford City.

I think I could see James Roberts finding his way back with us. The Jamie Vardy comparison is valid - ok maybe not to his level. But a natural goal scorer is a gem!

I think I could see James Roberts finding his way back with us. The Jamie Vardy comparison is valid - ok maybe not to his level. But a natural goal scorer is a gem!
Roberts plays wide quite a lot.
I don't think that he can be described as a natural goalscorer?

Vardy has sheer pace and an amazing work ethic and is a predator as a striker. Not sure we will see many National League strikers end up playing for England. I too remember James Roberts goals, there were some stunners not many predatory goals though. Vardy scored nearly a goal a game for Halifax and Fleetwood before his move to Leicester.

Back
Top Bottom