Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

Max Crocombe made his debut and has played reasonably well as Melbourne Victory nonetheless got gubbed by Beijing FC in their Asian Champions League clash in Qatar just now. No idea if he'll be first choice in their next season in the A-League.

I've been wondering the same about Roberts. Long way to go but he's worked hard to get to where he is now. Looked good in the two cup games before the sending off and scores all kinds of goals.

Another two goals for Roberts again tonight.

Makes you wonder whether he could do a Matty Taylor ...

He's leaving it a little later than Taylor......

Matty was already a regular in the Conference in his age 21 season; by his age 24 season (the one Roberts is playing now), he'd already chalked up over 100 appearances at Conference level and that year he scored 20+ goals and led Brizzle to promotion.

Roberts still hasn't been able to stick anywhere above Tier 6 (although he did seem to be a great prospect in his first year with us.......)

He's leaving it a little later than Taylor......

Matty was already a regular in the Conference in his age 21 season; by his age 24 season (the one Roberts is playing now), he'd already chalked up over 100 appearances at Conference level and that year he scored 20+ goals and led Brizzle to promotion.

Roberts still hasn't been able to stick anywhere above Tier 6 (although he did seem to be a great prospect in his first year with us.......)

I should have qualified that it does not necessarily have to be with us. He seems to be using his time in the non-league to mature as a person and player. My dad is an Oxford City fan and thinks Roberts could play a level higher but that may be his ceiling.

Nevertheless, we like to see him do well. If he can recapture some of what he was showing during MApp’s indifferent first season with us, he may well get up another level or so. His goal against Plymouth back then is still a thing of beauty (the less said about forgotten man John Campbell’s equaliser the better!).

I should have qualified that it does not necessarily have to be with us. He seems to be using his time in the non-league to mature as a person and player. My dad is an Oxford City fan and thinks Roberts could play a level higher but that may be his ceiling.

Nevertheless, we like to see him do well. If he can recapture some of what he was showing during MApp’s indifferent first season with us, he may well get up another level or so. His goal against Plymouth back then is still a thing of beauty (the less said about forgotten man John Campbell’s equaliser the better!).

Yes maybe he could do a good job in the Conference?
I would be a little surprised if he made it back to the EFL.

Oh, no doubt. That season, he looked like a hell of a prospect and it was really sad to see his early career decline the way it did.

My post was just to point out that the Matty Taylor comparison isn't doing James Roberts any favors because Matty was a much more established player, at a higher level than James, when he was 24.

But if you want an inspirational comparison - in his age 24 season, Jamie Vardy was playing for Halifax Town in the Northern Premier League!

Oh, no doubt. That season, he looked like a hell of a prospect and it was really sad to see his early career decline the way it did.

My post was just to point out that the Matty Taylor comparison isn't doing James Roberts any favors because Matty was a much more established player, at a higher level than James, when he was 24.

But if you want an inspirational comparison - in his age 24 season, Jamie Vardy was playing for Halifax Town in the Northern Premier League!
Tony - don't forget that there was a rather significant, and tragic, off-field reason why JR's career suddenly became less important to him at that time....

Tony - don't forget that there was a rather significant, and tragic, off-field reason why JR's career suddenly became less important to him at that time....

Yeah, that was part of what I was referring to, when I described his early career decline as sad.

Back
Top Bottom