England vs Ukraine

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
Southgate has been getting a huge amount of massively unjustified stick throughout this tournament, I think tonight is the first time I've not seen an outpouring of anti-Southgate responses on the socials (including after the Germany game!) before or after a match. You say 'it doesn't mean people don't want us to win', but that's exactly what England have been doing, and it's been criticised as 'boring', 'playing with the handbrake on' etc. It's obviously not enough for some people for 'England to win'. For my money, it's perfectly legitimate to call out the people who have been relentlessly negative about Southgate and the team throughout the tournament when it's been clear all along that he's been developing a coherent style of play designed to win tournaments.

Quite. If the moaners can’t cope with the heat of the kitchen, stay out of it.

There’s a certain breed of England fan who seems to think that unless the national team is going past every team 5-0, then it’s a failure. Sure England didn’t beat Scotland but the hysterical overreaction on here and elsewhere was akin to losing to Luxembourg or something (incidentally France drew 0-0 at home to Luxembourg in qualifying for the 2018 World Cup which they went on to win. As it anyone have a s**t about that result as they struck a fourth past Croatia.) If you cannot see that what Southgate is doing is different this time around with a team that plays a low risk game, then go elsewhere. It doesn’t have to entertain from the first to last minute. It just has to get you results. It’s doing that.

Quite. If the moaners can’t cope with the heat of the kitchen, stay out of it.

There’s a certain breed of England fan who seems to think that unless the national team is going past every team 5-0, then it’s a failure. Sure England didn’t beat Scotland but the hysterical overreaction on here and elsewhere was akin to losing to Luxembourg or something (incidentally France drew 0-0 at home to Luxembourg in qualifying for the 2018 World Cup which they went on to win. As it anyone have a s**t about that result as they struck a fourth past Croatia.) If you cannot see that what Southgate is doing is different this time around with a team that plays a low risk game, then go elsewhere. It doesn’t have to entertain from the first to last minute. It just has to get you results. It’s doing that.
Yep, it’s working. I would’ve liked a bit more entertainment in the groups but no arguments with what’s happened. Two major tournaments in a row with semi-final appearances is fantastic. I think the final is on. Wow.

Some people have been quite OTT with their criticism. Some have groaned a little bit, some have gone bananas and totally overreacted. But right now I think even the biggest complainers are on cloud nine. So let’s just have everybody enjoy it. When you finally get everybody pushing in the same direction it makes no sense to start saying, “No, you can’t be on this side, you need your balls kicked.”

Everyone’s happy tonight. Let’s bottle that and down it in one 👍🏻

I like Southgate's use of the forward players. It means the opposition can't easily plan for what we are going to do. Whilst the shape is similar so far, Grealish, Sterling, Saka, Mount, Sancho, Foden all have something different about their game.

Damn daughter getting married today and the voco hotel only put a 32 inch tv on to watch the football and with a lot of hot sweaty blokes cramming round the tv and me being the father of the bride saw most of the game apart from the bloody goals due to being called upon all the time
Congratulations Bazzer, I don’t even have the heart to take the P**s about you slagging off Kane. Great day all round!

Yep, it’s working. I would’ve liked a bit more entertainment in the groups but no arguments with what’s happened. Two major tournaments in a row with semi-final appearances is fantastic. I think the final is on. Wow.

Some people have been quite OTT with their criticism. Some have groaned a little bit, some have gone bananas and totally overreacted. But right now I think even the biggest complainers are on cloud nine. So let’s just have everybody enjoy it. When you finally get everybody pushing in the same direction it makes no sense to start saying, “No, you can’t be on this side, you need your balls kicked.”

Everyone’s happy tonight. Let’s bottle that and down it in one 👍🏻

Yes I agree, a great night and no need for any moaning.

Apart from Kane missing that sitter for his hat-trick.

Not sure there's need for the passive aggressive/smug messages.

It was a direct quote. Not sure how that can really be passive aggressive or smug.

Damn daughter getting married today and the voco hotel only put a 32 inch tv on to watch the football and with a lot of hot sweaty blokes cramming round the tv and me being the father of the bride saw most of the game apart from the bloody goals due to being called upon all the time
Kane played well.

Scored 4 so I expect you didn’t enjoy it!

Certainly not! Far too rampant for my liking.

I’m settling in for the 1990 World Cup final on a rerun as a palette cleanser safe in the knowledge that nothing of note happens until the 85th minute.

After that, Boston v Oxford from 2005. Bliss!

Was that the best England performance since the 5-1 in Germany? Blimey, I couldn't believe what I was seeing, it was really convincing.

Denmark will be a really tough game, they have so much to play for. Credit where it's due, Southgate has nailed this tournament again. It's not always exciting, but he gets results. Today, however, was brilliant all round.

I’ve just started a bottle of cider in the shower. That’s how you know it’s coming home.

Cards on the table - who thinks it’s on?

I think England will be in the final next weekend. I wouldn’t like to call anything more than that, but I think we will see them walk out.

If we win this then the Scotland result will be brilliant, they will spend the rest of there lives celebrating a point in what was a routine group game for us while they finished 24th and we finished first, nothing will sum up the relationship between the bitterest country on earth and it’s superior yet oblivious neighbour better.

That’s played 5, won 4, scored 8 conceded 0 now, through to a 3rd semi final in a row against a team whose best player is having a pacemaker fitted in hospital, f**k the knighthood let’s give Southgate a sainthood.

It’s coming home (hopefully).

Nice when you can fly out to Rome nice and refreshed having played all there games at Wembley while others have had to travel thousands of miles ( believe Switzerland flew 7000 ) in soaring temperatures to play theirs. Czechs v Denmark 8pm local time there 31*. Farcical, they should have made England travel not play all games at home, tonight excepted. 1966 all over again.

I’ve just started a bottle of cider in the shower. That’s how you know it’s coming home.

Cards on the table - who thinks it’s on?

I think England will be in the final next weekend. I wouldn’t like to call anything more than that, but I think we will see them walk out.
I dream but I don't believe.

But then I've only started a San Mig in the muso room, maybe I should move to the shower...

I dream but I don't believe.

But then I've only started a San Mig in the muso room, maybe I should move to the shower...
Send me your address - I’ve popped a towel on and am ready to head out. I doubt you’re more than a 15 minute streak from mine at most.

WE still look like we’re playing well within ourselves. Can we keep it tight to see off Denmark then raise our game to the max against Italy or Spain?

Back
Top Bottom