EFL - The Covid-19 decision

it didn't take a genious to work out that asking clubs to vote on how to end a season was never going to be balanced at the best of times let alone when being faced with no income for an indefinite period due to a horrible Virus...As the Shrewsbury Boss said 500k to carry on with nothing to play for,Then you have Sunderland keen to continue because like all others in and around the Play Offs they should not be denied that opportunity "if" the powers that be are so desperate to get a ball kicked again.
Some people on here should be ashamed of themselves laughing at clubs like Sunderland for reason what appears to be you don't like the attitude of their fans and then likewise with Peterborough the Highest scoring Team in the League who clearly have entertained because you again don't like the attitude of their Boss.
Put yourself in their shoes, the League is so tight that one more game and that could so easily have been your team and i Guarantee you would be looking at this in exactly the same way as they are and you would be commenting with Disgrace and the like and frothing at the mouth because like Peterborough your team have been entertaining and their was barely anything between a group of clubs.

This was a chance for football to be strong stay together and look after each other from the Top all the way down, to actual be planning for next season and ensuring that not one single club finds itself in trouble and faced with extinction but as we've seen with certain members of society it's all about money and the me me attitude.

We don't like Peterborugh because their owner threatened to sue the EFL and individual clubs during a global pandemic. What prat does that?

i guess its just for simplicity and looks better, but 51% is not possible, we have 23 teams so if 12 teams agree/disagree - its 52% - (sorry for the pointless post...)
Nothing wrong with pedantically pointing out minor mistakes on this forum, so definitely no need to apologise. In fact, I think this is in the running for 'post of the month' ?

We don't like Peterborugh because their owner threatened to sue the EFL and individual clubs during a global pandemic. What prat does that?

Do their staff,fans and players deserve to be tarred with the same brush? Do they deserve to have their season dismissed and all their efforts and outlay of their fans to count for nothing due to the incompetence of the Ruling Body?

The answer was staring them in the face all this time and would have avoided what will now follow but they chose not to see it in their desperation to get a ball kicked again

I repeat would we as fans and fans of any other club not have the same mindset as their fans if it was us?

Likewise who during a Global Pandemic laughs at others misfortune and resorts to name calling over something as trivial as a game of football?

Lots of methods suggested to calculate final league position. How about using all of them and then averaging out the various results? Keeps the stattos off furlough.

Ok, that was a (poor) joke. On a more serious note I'm surprised that the EFL have not tried to engineer a Wycombe - Fleetwood final. It could be played on a small non-league ground near Brum, made pay on the day and still easily manage social distancing ?.

Do their staff,fans and players deserve to be tarred with the same brush? Do they deserve to have their season dismissed and all their efforts and outlay of their fans to count for nothing due to the incompetence of the Ruling Body?

The answer was staring them in the face all this time and would have avoided what will now follow but they chose not to see it in their desperation to get a ball kicked again

I repeat would we as fans and fans of any other club not have the same mindset as their fans if it was us?

Likewise who during a Global Pandemic laughs at others misfortune and resorts to name calling over something as trivial as a game of football?
You can’t please everyone

it didn't take a genious to work out that asking clubs to vote on how to end a season was never going to be balanced at the best of times let alone when being faced with no income for an indefinite period due to a horrible Virus...As the Shrewsbury Boss said 500k to carry on with nothing to play for,Then you have Sunderland keen to continue because like all others in and around the Play Offs they should not be denied that opportunity "if" the powers that be are so desperate to get a ball kicked again.
Some people on here should be ashamed of themselves laughing at clubs like Sunderland for reason what appears to be you don't like the attitude of their fans and then likewise with Peterborough the Highest scoring Team in the League who clearly have entertained because you again don't like the attitude of their Boss.
Put yourself in their shoes, the League is so tight that one more game and that could so easily have been your team and i Guarantee you would be looking at this in exactly the same way as they are and you would be commenting with Disgrace and the like and frothing at the mouth because like Peterborough your team have been entertaining and their was barely anything between a group of clubs.

This was a chance for football to be strong stay together and look after each other from the Top all the way down, to actual be planning for next season and ensuring that not one single club finds itself in trouble and faced with extinction but as we've seen with certain members of society it's all about money and the me me attitude.
I guess this is what happens when you let clubs use their common sense.

Disagree with this stance I’m afraid.

It`s just a sniffle... don`t shoot the messenger. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I kind of understand where the club are coming from that "on the field of play" is the preferred option, skill talent and all that.
However they don`t seem to be properly considering the "bigger picture" stuff and the overall consequences which is incredibly difficult to untangle.
I guess the thinking is "worry about what we can influence and not what we can`t".

I do find it a bit strange that the club is sticking to its stance that the season should be played out. I dont think Im alone in thinking that most people now realise we’ve gone past that scenario being possible. Possibly some politics being played? Even Karls statement at the bottom doesnt entirely back the ‘let’s play on’ position. He doesnt exactly say we should play out the season, more that a decision is close to being made.

Edit: I have noted that the stadium is now a lot more prominent in the club press releases though..

Last edited:
It`s just a sniffle... don`t shoot the messenger. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I kind of understand where the club are coming from that "on the field of play" is the preferred option, skill talent and all that.
However they don`t seem to be properly considering the "bigger picture" stuff and the overall consequences which is incredibly difficult to untangle.
I guess the thinking is "worry about what we can influence and not what we can`t".
I don’t think any club should be voting for another 100-odd games to be played at present. I just find that really irresponsible and tone deaf on a human level.

Guess we’ll see what’s what if this things ever come to a bloody conclusion.

Latest statement keeps us consistent in our approach right the way through I guess.

I totally agree with the club's statement. If it's safe enough for the Championship is safe enough for League One to play. The only thing that will stop it is the cynical self interest of clubs like Rotherham and Wycombe who will we awarded an unfair straight promotion and very a dubious play-off place. For the many clubs in middle of the table the costs of testing and bringing their staff out of furlough is going to be a big factor in how they decide to vote.

I don’t think any club should be voting for another 100-odd games to be played at present. I just find that really irresponsible and tone deaf on a human level.

Guess we’ll see what’s what if this things ever come to a bloody conclusion.
I read that statement differently as us basically saying 'we'd like to carry on playing and the play-offs will suit that objective, thank you very much' rather than a request to start the full season. A carefully worded statement that talks about 'winning promotion on the pitch'. Imho this is also teeing up the possibility of us raising a challenge if the EFL try to award the third place to Wycombe at a later date with no play-offs. Smart move.

Wycombe manager on Sky Sports Live now, he wants to play the games but doesn't know how his chairman will vote.

Hilariously he just said you can't use weighted PPG as you can't predict the future, but he's happy with PPG (which does the same) ?

I read that statement differently as us basically saying 'we'd like to carry on playing and the play-offs will suit that objective, thank you very much' rather than a request to start the full season. A carefully worded statement that talks about 'winning promotion on the pitch'. Imho this is also teeing up the possibility of us raising a challenge if the EFL try to award the third place to Wycombe at a later date with no play-offs. Smart move.
Perhaps. But purposefully vague statements don’t ever sit well with me. Guess we’ll find out.

Wycombe manager on Sky Sports Live now, he wants to play the games but doesn't know how his chairman will vote.

Hilariously he just said you can't use weighted PPG as you can't predict the future, but he's happy with PPG (which does the same) ?

PPG isn’t about the future it’s about what HAS happened.

I'm
PPG isn’t about the future it’s about what HAS happened.

No, PPG is about assuming that a team would have carried on along the same linear trendline. But the reality is Wycombe started off on fire, and then started to bottle it (as they always do) and slid down the table. If we were to continue that logarithmic trendline, then they'd have probably ended up about 12th.

PPG is essentially Wycombe's 'Get out of jail free card', because if the last 10 remaining games were allowed to be played out, then there is no way on earth they would have ended up in the top 6!

Back
Top Bottom